• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
From Businessinsider.

Some tidbits:

"The Clean Network program is the Trump Administration's comprehensive approach to guarding our citizens' privacy and our companies' most sensitive information from aggressive intrusions by malign actors, such as the Chinese Communist Party," Pompeo wrote in the announcement of the program.

The "Clean Store" part of the initiative aims: "To remove untrusted applications from US mobile app stores," meaning Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store.

American developers won't be allowed to have their apps pre-installed on phones made by Chinese companies

Keeping China away from undersea internet cables

Full article: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-...seal-off-chinese-tech-giants-2020-8?r=DE&IR=T

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This will just end up hurting US consumers and giving big tech even more power.

Instead of implementing something like GDPR they just ban chinese companies and let american companies continue to get away with privacy violations.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
The beginning of the great firewall of USA, close competitor of the great firewall of China.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I gotta be honest, I read that title as "The US wants to wall off China" first and figured Trump wants to build some kind of "Great Wall" around China

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well that means only Samsung, LG and Sony will be able to sell Android phones in the US, right?

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Watch this evolve into "walling off the US from the evil communist EU" in a decade.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I trust the US. They care about my privacy. I cannot wait to use the Clean Network, thank you Secretary Pompeo!

Mar 31, 2018
Let's counteract by blocking the USA Internet in the rest of the world, to protect our privacy from the tech giants of the US itself. Google, Facebook and Amazon are as notorious as their Chinese counterparts in privacy violations.

What's more, the rest of the world shouldn't accept the act. The rest of the world will again be thrown into a Cold War at the insistence of the United States to ensure its continued geopolitical dominance.

I want peaceful coexistence, but the United States will do the opposite.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's also really funny that this has all been released today, when the following two news items have also hit:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Let's counteract by blocking the USA Internet in the rest of the world, to protect our privacy from the tech giants of the US itself. Google, Facebook and Amazon are as notorious as their Chinese counterparts in privacy violations.
Just force them to sell their European branches to a European company in return for not banning them. Seems like that is also an allowed strategy nowadays.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's a lot of garbage copycat apps that straight up steal assets and other things on the app stores, but there are better ways to deal with that and that's not what they actually care about with this idea anyway.

The rest of it sounds like some shit you might see from the CCP itself, especially with names like "Clean Network" and "Clean Store".

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
You know.... Pushing social media companies like FB and Twitter to stomp out the mass distribution of fake news would ACTUALLY do a lot to hamper Chinese and Russian governmental efforts on "our internet"

but of course that's not what this idea consists of...

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely nothing. A lot of this reads like something you'd see in sanctions or banning a national security threat. While most of it is stupid this isn't America's version of the great firewall.

The bit about cloud data potentially might actually be good as the EU currently has similar regulation.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
US companies also spy on customers & use their data. Just because they're American doesn't make them great either.

Oct 25, 2017
American developers won't be allowed to have their apps pre-installed on phones made by Chinese companies

This is huge, impacting not just Huwaei, but One Plus and other brands. If they extend it to other devices like android TV's, watches etc. It could be the death kneel for many factories in China. Customers all over the world want to use American based services, like Youtube and Netflix. If America starts prohibiting use like this, many American companies will also be affected as they manufacture from China.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever Trump is going to do (which, let's be honest, is probably nothing) is likely not going to be helpful. But I've long believed that the internet in its current form needs to be broken.

Clearly we can't trust private enterprise to defend society against cyber warfare when there's $$$ to be made. So whether it's intense governmental regulation, or a mass grassroots movement that genuinely changes how we view the internet and social media companies themselves, and the information we readily supply to them. Somethings gotta give.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever Trump is going to do (which, let's be honest, is probably nothing) is likely not going to be helpful. But I've long believed that the internet in its current form needs to be broken.

Clearly we can't trust private enterprise to defend society against cyber warfare when there's $$$ to be made. So whether it's intense governmental regulation, or a mass grassroots movement that genuinely changes how we view the internet and social media companies themselves, and the information we readily supply to them. Somethings gotta give.

The easiest choice is to regulate Twitter, Facebook and Google. They are Americans companies afterall.

The last time my country tried to get answers from America social media companies about blatant fake news and disinformation, the Facebook rep simply give a non-answer while challenging the committee of its aims.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
How about we protect our data from the GOP using companies like Cambridge Analytica to scrape all of our data from Facebook in order to manipulate elections

No? OK then carry on

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not seeing how nations breaking up the internet to further their own domestic policies is going to help any. Every nation that does it uses it to control speech on social media.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't really effect most companies since most apps won't be pre-installed and people could just get them from elsewhere.

I wonder what it means for Google though. Google Android is a modified version of open source Android that's augmented by Google-proprietary pre-installed apps like Google Play Services and Google Services Framework. Plus, apps like the Google Play Store and the base Google applications are among the most popular applications on the planet. A huge percentage of the phones they're on qualify as a "phone made by" a Chinese company under some definition of "made by".

Well that means only Samsung, LG and Sony will be able to sell Android phones in the US, right?
I guess it all depends on the definition of "made by Chinese companies".

I presume the intention is to allow for phones with non-Chinese branding to be unaffected, so Samsung, LG and Sony would be "fine" (to whatever extent Sony's place in the market could be considered "fine", since they're sort of fucked). However, any slightly stricter interpretation would affect a lot of non-Chinese brands who heavily use Chinese manufacturing or Chinese components in their devices, which is...most of them, I'd guess. Maybe all.

If the interpretation is pretty light a company like Xiaomi or Huawei could maybe spin off a new company headquartered outside China and use that to sell their phones.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Blackstone buying Ancestry.com is some real sinister shit in the making.

From Wikipedia about the Blackstone Group:

CEO and co-founder Stephen A. Schwarzman has been criticised for his long-time association with now U.S. President Donald Trump. Recently, he served as chair of his Strategic and Policy Forum until its dissolution and has donated around $850,000 to Trump's inauguration and political action committees since his victory in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, on top of $5.5 million to Republicans in the preceding election cycle.[161][162][163]

In separate cases in 2018 and 2019, the hotel chain Motel 6, which is owned by Blackstone, agreed to settle for a total of $19.6 million for giving guest lists to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) without a warrant.[164][165]

In 2019, The Intercept revealed that two firms owned by Blackstone were partially responsible for the burning of the Amazon rainforest.[166][167]

United Nations housing rapporteur Leilani Farha and Surya Deva, chair of the UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights, have criticised Blackstone's business practices, including frequent rent increases and "aggressive" evictions, for contributing to the global housing crisis.[168] Blackstone disputes these claims.

Imagine 20th century fascism with 21st century surveillance capabilities. Yeah. That's grim.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I don't give a fuck what the article says

whatever they want to do is 1000000% against the citizens of the United States

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This will just end up hurting US consumers and giving big tech even more power.

Instead of implementing something like GDPR they just ban chinese companies and let american companies continue to get away with privacy violations.
Gonna be nice to see Canada blocked off from the US too, because we know how easily this will go from China to EU to Everyone.