• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So I happened across this video months ago in my recommendations:

SilpheSpectre is a Pokemon channel with a bit of a twist; concerned about the lore of the trainers, the channel seeks to determine what each major character in the Pokemon franchise would have as their most powerful Pokemon roster. This is done by analyzing all of their canon, in-game appearances and putting together a workable team from there. I was enamored with the original concept and binged every single one; I think it does a great job in really communicating the idea that these gym leaders, even the low level ones, are rightfully deserving of the position, and even breathes new life into characters like Professor Oak and Agatha.

But there's only so many trainers and whatnot to go through, right? So I had my fun once it looked like the idea had reached its limit and went off to do other Youtube'y things. Then he did the next best possible thing with the material he compiled: set up Wi-Fi battles using these teams, with anonymous players roleplaying as the trainers themselves, in a huge tournament complete with losers bracket. And now I'm back in:

Even if you were to ignore the pure wish fulfillment of the concept of watching the Gym Trainers and Elite Four beat up on each other, the battles themselves are legitimately entertaining. Not only are these players pulling off some interesting strategies and predictions, probably necessary in a tournament style like this where there is no real tiering system, and not only are upsets pretty common, but SilphSpectre is surprisingly coming into his own as an esports announcer by doing this. He's already developed a catchphrase: "That Pokemon's been put on a timer!"

It's also great that he doesn't reveal the winner in each subsequent video, so you'll actually have to watch through to see how this all plays out (or you could put two and two together using the thumbnails, but where's the fun in that?) The Kanto Region Champion has been decided, and now we're on to the Johto Tournament. Ultimately, I've been having a ball with it. Whenever a new one comes out, I slot it in on my work lunch breaks. Give it a watch and see what you think.