• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
How would you improve the system OP? What would you like to see them implement?

from the top of my head:

I want to decide for myself whether I want the game to get "registered" in my list of games for which I collect trophies. I want to decide for myself whether I want to get trophies in an specific playthrough.

there's a difference between, say, TLOU2, where I know I will get the platinum before I even buy the game and say, Gravity Rush 2, which has beeen hit or miss for the GR fanbase.

for the first, the system can stay how it is.

For the 2nd I want to try and play it without sony putting unwanted trophies in my list. if I liked the game so much I can start over with the trophies turned on, if I didn't like it, I can just sell it or not play it anymore, if I decided it was just ok I can play with through it without trophies. I want to decide all that by myself.

(if all this is somehow possible, then yeah, thread can get locked)

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
They are an optional thing that allow me to spend more time with games I love.

I wouldn't have played until dawn as many times as I did to get the platinum without it, and I don't regret an instant of doing so. I don't worry about trophies on games I don't love/have obnoxious achievements like mp only, but I enjoy them immensely when they make me more engaged with game systems or mini games. I played darts in FF7R for like 30 minutes - learning the best ways to stabilize my aim while going for the achievement.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I love them and while I would love to hear of improvements or changes, I do like them as they are so it doesn't particularly upset me if they don't change.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
One improvement I'd like to see: in PS4, when you get a trophy the console makes a screenshot. Sometimes these shots are taken in really bad moments, like when you are in menus or loading screens. Devs could be more careful when defining the moment that triggers the trophy. Also, it would be awesome to have a system that would allow for better memories of trophy achievements, like gifs or short clips for example.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I like the way PC Uplay implements them. You can actually use your earned achievement points for money off your next game.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I wish nobody cared.

Who wants pop ups in their games? Not me. (edit: of COURSE I disabled them. That didn't disable my dislike of them.)

Who thinks "platinum"-ing a game is a real achievement? Not me. Go defeat some humans in a tourney if you want "gamer cred".

Far as I'm concerned, trophies and achievements are traps to artificially pad game length and delay game resale by the people who have compulsions to complete things (which is a lot of us).

That's it. There is no quality in it. Hope trophies go away and I am happy Nintendo never implemented that garbage.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I wish nobody cared.

Who wants pop ups in their games? Not me.

Who thinks "platinum"-ing a game is a real achievement? Not me. Go defeat some humans in a tourney if you want "gamer cred".

Far as I'm concerned, trophies and achievements are traps to artificially pad game length and delay game resale by the people who have compulsions to complete things (which is a lot of us).

That's it. There is no quality in it. Hope trophies go away and I am happy Nintendo never implemented that garbage.
disable them and you never have to care again. like I can't even imagine caring as much as you do about something that's completely ignorable lol

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Thy are a great way for me to keep a log of games I have played and when I completed them.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I wish nobody cared.

I don't want "gamer cred", I want to have a "diary" of the games I played and what I did on them.

If you don't care, just disable the pop ups.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean "they don't care"? What kind of work are you expecting them to do that they're not doing? Isn't the system fully functional?

I don't understand this thread.

I like trophies even though I have never Platinumed any game, I think it's fun and engages the player a bit more with the game. I miss them when playing Nintendo games.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I personally have never cared much for achievement or trophies, but a lot of people do. Having them doesn't affect my enjoyment so I don't mind them staying for those that like them.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I hope devs stop NOT including platinums in their games. So idiotic.

I am more inclined to try a game I have no interest in if it has a platinum.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Only thing I can think of improving the Playstation system is to see the progress of the trophys with xx/50 of something like on Xbox.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020

I mean achievements can get people to play through games in completely different ways when otherwise they wouldn't have cared to. Many a speed runner has started learning routes through a game while trying to earn an achievement.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
from the top of my head:

I want to decide for myself whether I want the game to get "registered" in my list of games for which I collect trophies.

and then

I want to decide for myself whether I want to get trophies in an specific playthrough.

there's a difference between, say, TLOU2, where I know I will get the platinum before I even buy the game and say, Gravity Rush 2, which has beeen hit or miss for the GR fanbase.

For the 2nd I want to try and play it without sony putting unwanted trophies in my list. if I liked the game so much I can start over with the trophies turned on, if I didn't like it, I can just sell it or not play it anymore, if I decided it was just ok I can play with through it without trophies. I want to decide all that by myself.

You can play on a guest account if you don't want a certain game's trophies on your main account.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Unneeded Hostility
I wish nobody cared.

See Sphinx this is why you dont see many people bring up trophies/achievements too often on this site. You have assholes like this that just can't help themselves and need to let everyone know how much they hate what other people enjoy and it shouldn't exist. If you had posted this during "normal business hours" half of this thread would be posts like this

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I wish nobody cared.

Turn off notifications.

I don't buy multiplatform games on switch anymore

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me, a comprehensive play time tracker and maybe even some stat tracking (like distance travelled, enemies killed, etc) at the OS level would be way better than trophies. I believe the Xbox One OS does this for some games.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Lack of imagination 101.

Players like them. Others can safely ignore them. End of.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Switch every mention of "trophy system" with "power cord" and you get a very funny thread.

The trophy/achievement systems are what they need to be. They work perfectly and they serve their purpose.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just an inevitable consequence of the fact that the people that care about achievements do not want well designed, challenging or interesting achievements. They want a straight-forward box-ticking exercise that proves they've completed the game.

Very hard for designers to give a damn in that context.

Oct 28, 2019
Trophies have allowed me to get more out of my games, explore things I wouldn't have done/seen otherwise, and make me remember certain things of the game just by looking at the trophies and their dates etc. They're fucking great. Wish Nintendo would just get on with the times and implement them. What's the point of completing Xenoblade for example if I won't be able to remember any of that banal shit two weeks later - at least with a trophy list I'd be able to go ah yeah I remember.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
You live under a tent in the middle of nowhere. People care about them and trophy hunters still exist.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I wish you could delete games from the list regardless of %

I hate things but being 100% but I refuse to play games I don't like and just get stuck with that stain on my profile.

Either that or just let me completely remove the trophy section from the ui so I never have to see it

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Why fix what isn't broken? It's not terribly hard to implement trophies or achievements, lots of people like them or use them, and those that don't, just ignore them.
What's the issue? What would you improve with it?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
from the top of my head:

I want to decide for myself whether I want the game to get "registered" in my list of games for which I collect trophies. I want to decide for myself whether I want to get trophies in an specific playthrough.

Not the same, but you can hide games from your profile on PSN.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
One of the reasons why I don't buy 3rd party games on Switch is that they don't have trophies. I like this system a lot and don't need any changes to it

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Tiny bit of a sidebar to the main topic... I have friends who won't play Nintendo games or older games because they don't have achievements. Which blows my mind! I've never cared about Achievements, maybe it's because I grew up gaming a lot before they were a thing but they're like a side bonus to me which I don't really focus on. They kinda seem almost like gamer clout to me, being able to brag about something and then shoot others down if they don't have a certain thing. For me achievements mean very little but I know they're a huge selling point for many but I'm not sure they need to change or update in anyway.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
*thread backfire*

Didnt PS3 have a big trophy room you could go in and see all your trophies? I want that back 😒

otherwise I love the platinums I'm never motivated to get.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
When was it determined that no one cares about achievements and trophies? Because no one has written or talked about them in a while?

They work for what they are. I think it'd be cool if they both expanded on those systems to make them more engaging, but it also wouldn't be on my top 10 list of priorities.

I personally don't really pay much attention to my achievements and trophies, but I'd be lying if I didn't say a felt a small internal dopamine rush when that achievement sound plays and it tells me I unlocked one.

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
What do you mean "they don't care"?

we've seen hardware makers talk about everything through out the year: the innards of the consoles, upcoming games for 20/21, prices, models, services like Game pass.

when I see they never ever mentions trophies or achievements, I assume "they don't care" or they don't see as something relevant or a selling point. As you can see in this thread, many people care, me included, but S/M don't seem to think improvements have to be added, they just let the system "be there". The media behaves like that too.

I wouldlike to see an article or interview where the question "how are you going to improve trophies/achievements heading into next-gen?" from one single journalist.

implying the T/A systems are "absolutely, prefectly fine and need no further improvement that's why no one talks about it" is silly, it can always be more user-friendly.

Progression tracking is desperately needed on PlayStation. Unless I'm tracking it manually, I don't know how close I am to getting a trophy.

this too.

Oct 27, 2017
I like them. They encourage and motivate to keep finding things or doing things I wouldn't normally do in the normal play of the game. Sometimes it's led to some of my favourite discoveries in modern games.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
Just last night I hit 9000 trophies and I don't see my excitement for hunting going away anytime soon.

The system itself is already pretty good, the only thing I am missing is a more fleshed out rewards logic.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think one of my favorite aspects of trophies/achievements these days is the timestamps. I like being able to pull up a game I've played before, and knowing exactly when in my life I played it based on the trophies/achievements I earned. Not something I thought about much when these systems first got implemented, but now that that they've been in place for ~12-14 years at this point, it's kind of fun for me to take that stroll down memory lane at times by randomly pulling up old games I've played.

I don't doubt there can be improvements made to the system, but I'm glad it's there.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I wish you could delete games from the list regardless of %

I hate things but being 100% but I refuse to play games I don't like and just get stuck with that stain on my profile.

Either that or just let me completely remove the trophy section from the ui so I never have to see it

You can do that at "privacy settings" on PS4

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
The Xbox subreddit has achievement score milestone posts every single day.

weve past the trophy / achievement hunter days and the articles about stallion23 but players still like them and devs still make them because they are a staple of interaction with the medium. Like party lobby's and party chat

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Tiny bit of a sidebar to the main topic... I have friends who won't play Nintendo games or older games because they don't have achievements. Which blows my mind! I've never cared about Achievements, maybe it's because I grew up gaming a lot before they were a thing but they're like a side bonus to me which I don't really focus on. They kinda seem almost like gamer clout to me, being able to brag about something and then shoot others down if they don't have a certain thing. For me achievements mean very little but I know they're a huge selling point for many but I'm not sure they need to change or update in anyway.

I'm 35. Been gaming since the NES with my dad. I love trophies. It's not so much bragging as it tickles this completion thing inside me. And quite often, it adds replay ability. If I really like a game (trials of mana for instance) I'll check out the list and do multiple play throughs.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I wish nobody cared.

Who wants pop ups in their games? Not me. (edit: of COURSE I disabled them. That didn't disable my dislike of them.)

Is this a copypasta?

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
And Microsoft knows this. There is a reason that now all games say XXXX/2125 or whatever instead of XXXX/1000. It's to incentivize people to get DLC. It used to be that it would say at XXXX/1000 until you started a given PC of DLC.
I hated this when I had an Xbox One. If you don't have the DLC, the DLC achievements shouldn't be there.