• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
touryst---button-fin-1566260801002.jpg

Developer: Shin'en Multimedia
Publisher: Shin'en Multimedia
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release: November 21, 2019
Genre(s)Action-adventure, Puzzle
Mode: Single-player

3571463-screenshot01.jpg

You are just arriving at the Monument Islands. Want to go swimming? Or rather take a dive into the deep sea? Or do you want to visit the amusement arcade, do some shopping, dance at the beach party? Fancy some surfing? Or will you talk with the strange old tourist and listen what he has to say about these ancient mysterious monuments..

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone please tell me how to beat the third monument boss, cuz I'm about to snap my Switch in half.

edit: figured it out. goddammit

Oct 29, 2017
Copying my post from the other thread:

Very early impressions, from the first 30 minutes or so:

Visuals are super nice, cool artstyle combined with pristine image quality (by Switch standards), buttery smooth 60 fps and tight controls. The enviroments themselves already show a great deal of interactivity and the NPCs are quite charming

Are there minigames to relax and enjoy the islands or is it more adventure and puzzle focused?

There is an island with an arcade, beating those minigame's hi-scores is no joke.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the great OT Meelow! Looking forward to reading impressions of the game.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I'm on the third island, really fun so far, game is gorgeous to look at. One issue I found is the game will crash on you if you hold an item and try to run, aim, and throw it all at once.

Impressions so far after two hours; game again, cannot be understated how beautiful it looks, been taking a lot of screenshots because of it. There are side-quests which are charming, NPCs so far are fun to talk to and interact with. You get new abilities that can be used for backtracking which will definitely add in the hours of playtime for me. The monument dungeons are short but clever, hoping they get more complex later on. Music is excellent when it's present, especially the underwater music. Only issue I have is the HD rumble isn't as prominent as I thought it would be, it's there for in-game cutscenes, but overall I'm not noticing it at all in the overworld which is a shame. Perfect example is finding coins in the ground and there is no rumble akin to Odyssey hidden moon in the sand in Tostarena Kingdom.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
45 minute impressions:

-graphics/lighting/physics are great
-heavy use of blur in background
-using X to talk is terrible I keep pressing A bad jumping!
-there is basically no music so far, which I do not like. If it's on purpose, I don't get it lol
-puzzles are fine so far. Nothing too hard but the jumping with moving platforms is tricky due to perspective
-if the games premise right now holds true, it seems like it will be a short game. Although if the main quest opens up something else after this objective then who knows.

EDIT: some locations have music - well I just found my first. What is here is beautiful. More impressions later

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Love the look of this. Is there a play on words to the title that I'm missing? Why the intentional misspelling of Tourist?

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
The snake only activates when you're on the lower level. Place all the stones on the raised area and throw them into place.
Wow, I thought I noticed it deactivate when I was on the water, but it didn't click for me to do that. I guess because I nearly completed it on ground level so I thought I maybe had to lure it away or something.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is the game out in EU too?
Could not find anything a couple days ago in the coming soon section of the eShop.

Thanks for the great OT Meelow! Looking forward to reading impressions of the game.

I'm not one to complain since I'm super lazy with this stuff so thanks to Meelow in any case for creating a topic to discuss the game; I'm genuinely asking here: is the OT broken on mobile and I'm not visualizing it correctly? All I see is a pic and release info with a little "back-of-the-box" PR blurb?

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Thanks for all the early impressions! I've been keeping my eye on this game based on the charming style and Shin'en developing. It feels like it just kinda slipped out without any fanfare though, so I hope it doesn't get overlooked if it turns out to be a solid game.

I guess I'm not surprised there's no review thread yet, so I was relieved to see that we have an OT. Thanks, Meelow!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Underwater music is an instant classic. Very ambient but haunting and beautiful like DKC tunes.

I am liking this more the more I play but it does seem like it's gonna be fairly short. Not saying it won't be worth the money but I am sure I will want mooooar lol. There is a large variety of just stuff to do - very varied. And it's like locked 60fps. Lighting is crazy. Technically it seems like a marvel for switch

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
A to jump and X to interact is a PAIN! At least in this game it looks like it won't matter that much, but still a headscratching decision.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
2 hour iMpressions:

-music IS in the game it's just used sparingly. What is here is simply wonderful.
-the islands are not huge but reward exploration which is great
-puzzles are a little tricky but but too hard. Platforming is definitely a thing here
-several side quests that seem game-spanning do you revisit islands to do more things. It's a nice glue that binds everything

I'm having more fun the more I play. Game seems legit for the price.

now I need someone to recommend a similar game for when I complete this!!!

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Impressions after exactly 2.5 hours (39% progress):

- Game looks absolutely stunning. Great lighting, neat effects, first rainy island was a sight to behold, no framerate issues whatsoever
- Starts a bit linear, meaning access to different islands is restricted at first, then opens up
- I have access to 8 islands now, all quite different from each other (and all with a Y in their name: Santoryn, Ybiza, Hawayy, Fijy...)
- Gameplay is a mix between Zelda, Fez and Animal Crossing
- Lots of exploration, secrets and puzzle-solving, but also tons of stuff to collect: There's a museum, an art gallery, a guy who draws postcards and needs inspiration, a pawn shop for diamonds...all of these require you to collect specific items, take pictures of certain people/landmarks etc.
- Main goal (apparently) is to find 4 Monument Cores, which can be found in mini-dungeons
- No combat (at least so far)
- Over time you unlock new abilities like climbing up ledges, double-jumps, sprinting...
- Tons of side activities: There's an arcade with at least three different minigames (an F-Zero endless-racer, an Arkanoid-clone and somewhat of a Jetpac-style game), a quadcopter race which reminded me of Pilotwings, surfing, I found a bunch of NPCs and buildings I can't interact with unless I have proper clothing (for example a night club and a soccer trainer), I just gained access to a mine...
- Lots of cool ideas and mechanics which are used to deal with one specific issue/quest and then are not re-used again
- Great economy. You really have to think about how you want to spend your money: Buy a travel guide to access a new island or rather buy new CDs for the local DJ or buy a membership card at the shirt store...almost everything feels like a significant investment

Overall really enjoyable, chill game with some neat ideas. I'm having lots of fun exploring every island, not knowing what awaits me there, looking for secrets and hunting down the collectibles. So far I'd give it an 8 - 8.5.

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
A to jump and X to interact is a PAIN! At least in this game it looks like it won't matter that much, but still a headscratching decision.
The fact I can't change the controls are my biggest gripe so far. Other than that, I'm really enjoying it so far. I said this in the Eshop thread, but it me of this old episodic Cartoon Network browser game called Cartoon Cartoon Summer Resort. Just only in 3D.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
- There's an arcade with at least three different minigames (an F-Zero endless-racer, an Arkanoid-clone and somewhat of a Jetpac-style game)

It makes me sad that people apparently have forgotten Bomb Jack, because the third minigame is an almost straight copy of that. And quite possibly the hardest challenge in the whole game is beating the highscore there.

Finished with 84% done and not quite sure what to make of it and especially the last few things happening. Took about 4-5 hours maybe and generally enjoyed the experience (aside from cursing loudly during some of the platforming scenes), but on the whole it felt a bit, I don't know... hollow, or shallow?

Oct 29, 2017
Currently at 74%, with almost 6 hours played, taking my time finishing some side quests before heading into what appears to be the endgame. Not bothering with the minigames at the arcade though, since developers went overboard with the hi-score requirements.

Pretty sweet overall despite a few really annoying segments. This is a nifty little package that offers quite a bit of variety in its gameplay and tons of polish on the technical side.