• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
It is outrageously expensive if you buy top-end parts that you don't realistically need. You can play modern games on a 980Ti without much issue, just turning down a bit from full Ultra settings.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I am, because for someone that is done with PC gaming because it's too expensive, that's a shit load of money on eye candy that is barely noticeable unless your hardware is not capping the framerate. It is great for low end hardware, and for emulation, but if you have stable fps you never notice it.

I guess my priorities are very different, power to him

Zeroing in on one aspect of that particular TV is a bit of a shitty argument though. As mentioned above, I picked up a CX recently and it's absolutely transformed my gaming experience even in 1080p, the picture quality is that damn good. Having VRR/Freesync is an added bonus that will smooth out anything in the 40+fps range to the point you'll likely not notice frame drops as much.

What might be acceptable to you might not be to everyone.

You realise the irony in that statement, right?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Zeroing in on one aspect of that particular TV is a bit of a shitty argument though. As mentioned above, I picked up a CX recently and it's absolutely transformed my gaming experience even in 1080p, the picture quality is that damn good. Having VRR/Freesync is an added bonus that will smooth out anything in the 40+fps range to the point you'll likely not notice frame drops as much.

I have never found it worthwhile on PC, maybe on consoles it will finally shine. I could spend that money on a GPU and never need FreeSync... Ever.

The image quality I will judge when I see it; until then, it's very much snake oil

You realise the irony in that statement, right?

I realize that I never found a point in spending a huge amount of money on TVs, and that consoles usually offer the worse experience for me.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Not everyone buys a 1000+ dollars PC or wants/needs the visual fidelity that brings.

If you get something around 800 and don't have to pay for multiplayer and have access to cheaper games overall and it pretty much makes up price wise. Also, most exclusive deals don't affect the PC. Even first party stuff gets there now. It's a great and flexible platform.

You can also set your PC as a streaming box and play games everywhere.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Can the total cost for multiplatform gaming even be justified at this point?

Not really, as getting console just for few exclusives is such a waste.
Build my PC in 2018: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/ts7ksZ for two thousand and I'm pretty confident that it will carry my gaming after GPU upgrade to 2025. At that point I've enjoyed "next gen" gaming for 7 years and that's not too bad.

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have never found it worthwhile on PC, maybe on consoles it will finally shine. I could spend that money on a GPU and never need FreeSync... Ever.

The image quality I will judge when I see it; until then, it's very much snake oil

Going from a mid-range 1080p set to an OLED is astonishing, and absolutely worth the money.

I realize that I never found a point in spending a huge amount of money on TVs, and that consoles usually offer the worse experience for me.

Ah well. What might be acceptable to you might not be to everyone, eh?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Ah well. What might be acceptable to you might not be to everyone, eh?
Yep. It is funny that I would never expect a console to actually drive that 4k beast, while I would very much just get a commoner 4k and hook up a good GPU to it and call it a day. Rest of the money I would just have a trip to Japan and it would have "absolutely transformed my gaming experience" after I come back with so many retro goodies.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
That's why games being multi-platform is important. Enjoy any game you like despite the plastic box you choose. Also, PC gaming is as expensive as you want it to be. I bet someone can go through the entire generation with a GTX 1060 if they aim for 1080p gaming.

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. It is funny that I would never expect a console to actually drive that 4k beast, while I would very much just get a commoner 4k and hook up a good GPU to it and call it a day. Rest of the money I would just have a trip to Japan and it would have "absolutely transformed my gaming experience" after I come back with so many retro goodies.

Wow. I think I'm done here. Even after trying to say to you that some people might just want a nicer TV regardless of feeling the need to run it at the bleeding edge, you *still* decide to be a gatekeeping asshole and try to make people feel shitty about their purchases. Try just letting people like what they wanna like, you'll live longer.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Wow. I think I'm done here. Even after trying to say to you that some people might just want a nicer TV regardless of feeling the need to run it at the bleeding edge, you *still* decide to be a gatekeeping asshole and try to make people feel shitty about their purchases. Try just letting people like what they wanna like, you'll live longer.
Well then, good sir, I am an asshole because I have the mentality of a poor ass person who lived their life barely dreaming of having the money to afford their own house, and that definitely doesn't feel the need to spend twice the money to get that little more enjoyment.

I am, I am wasting already money on a PC, so I guess everyone is entitled to burning money how they see fit?

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I guess everyone is entitled to burning money how they see fit?

If by burning, you mean spending, then yep. Some people spend thousands on a car living in a rented property. Some people spend thousands on gaming in a rented property (like myself). Some people spend nothing, saving every penny and buying a house without enjoying their life. I dream of owning a home one day too, but I don't go and shit on people's purchases because can't afford/don't want to buy them. To each their own. No need to be a dick about it.

(FWIW, I've been in a position where I was so broke I couldn't afford the sleeping pills I wanted to take my own life with. I've been in some really shitty situations and positions. But I've been fortunate to end up in a decent job that allows me to do pretty much what I want to do at the minute. I came to realise that trying to bring people down over things they bought or enjoyed just wasn't worth it. As long as people are happy, who gives a shit?)

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If by burning, you mean spending, then yep. Some people spend thousands on a car living in a rented property. Some people spend thousands on gaming in a rented property (like myself). Some people spend nothing, saving every penny and buying a house without enjoying their life. I dream of owning a home one day too, but I don't go and shit on people's purchases because can't afford/don't want to buy them. To each their own. No need to be a dick about it.

(FWIW, I've been in a position where I was so broke I couldn't afford the sleeping pills I wanted to take my own life with. I've been in some really shitty situations and positions. But I've been fortunate to end up in a decent job that allows me to do pretty much what I want to do at the minute. I came to realise that trying to bring people down over things they bought or enjoyed just wasn't worth it. As long as people are happy, who gives a shit?)

I am not shitting on them. If people didn't want to discuss or get even the slightest comment, they shouldn't have joined a forum in the first place.

I was literally enquiring because:

1. I would not spend money on features I couldn't even use (gsync, freesync, 100hz whatever)
2. I would not spend money on value that just isn't there (XSX, tho the hardware itself is great, mind you)
3. Complain that I don't have money for PC when I am already ballin' on getting two of the most expensive consoles ever launched on the market taking into account inflation, and a baller TV at the same time.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Hobbies are expensive
You are not forced to get everything day one

And gaming is still relatively cheap compared to a lot of other hobbies.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
This is always why I can't take a majority of the people saying "If MS/Sony releases their games on PC I won't buy a console ever again" seriously. Like yeah right. The cost of a console vs the cost of a PC that will play AAA games at medium/high settings for the next seven years?
If you were already intending to have a pc, (for whatever reason; exclusives, fps etc) then it makes no sense to pay for a console on top of that. You might as well put your money towards replacing your gpu every 3-4yrs.
I'm buying a ps5 on launch because I know that there will be exclusives I want + it allows me to put off upgrading my creaky old pc for another couple of years.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The cost of PC gaming is getting higher and higher each year.

I know Nvidia will overprice the fuck out of their GPUs so unless AMD deliver I'm simply going to stick to console gaming for the next 2 years.

I cannot be bothered to constantly spend ÂŁ1000+ on my pc every 1-2 years. Frankly it's the biggest waste of money ever.
Or maybe you are doing it wrong?
There is so much more to PC gaming than better FPS and higher resolutions.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I've always considered multiplatform gaming to be a waste of money.

90% of new games on each are 3rd party multiplat. Frankly, spending 400 on another platform just to play a few exclusives on the other side doesn't strike me as a smart investment.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and it's why I'm PC only from here on out. PC's as expensive as I want it to be, and has a far larger library then anything else out there.
The fact that I haven't been buying Sony/Nintendo's latest games, and don't care that I'm missing them makes me happy. I can truly say that FoMo is no longer a thing for me, and I no longer need all of these platforms to have access to everything.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My solution to this is to back away from consoles, PS4 could be my last. I may miss some exclusives but we live in an increasingly multiplatform world and there will be more than enough to play. It helps that I know I won't need ÂŁ3000 of hardware for this as well, I've never been anywhere close to spending that.

I get it, I used to own all consoles in the PS2 era but I'm getting over that FOMO because I'm tired of needing so many boxes for specific games. Especially since it's for less than ever before. If someone wants me as a customer they need to come to where I am now.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I do enjoy chasing the best experience on PC, but given how much my revenue has fluctuated over the years, I was also shown how easy it is to... well not do it when you can't ( so also when you don't want to ).
I went from buying second hand 570, to first hand/new 980 then 1080... to staying on my 1080 for 4 years.

Just like smart phone, neither going for the most premium model nor a 2 years upgrade cycle is a necessity at all.

Will I upgrade to a 30x0 if given the opportunity ? sure. But if I can't ( and I most definitively currently can't ) I'll still be able to enjoy pc gaming with no problem.
That's not to say that going for a single console, at least around their release, isn't the best bang for buck you can get because it probably is.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
ÂŁ1000 every four years is a huge amount of money.
Every five years. And no, it really isn't.

It's 2 months mortgage payments. Its 3 months car payments. It's a year of energy bills.

It's not nothing, but it's not the exorbitant cost suggested by the OP or the post I was replying too.

Mid range PC gaming is fantastically affordable.

Oct 29, 2017
Every five years. And no, it really isn't.

It's 2 months mortgage payments. Its 3 months car payments. It's a year of energy bills.

It's not nothing, but it's not the exorbitant cost suggested by the OP or the post I was replying too.

Mid range PC gaming is fantastically affordable.

It's all relative. ÂŁ1000 is a lot of money for a lot of people.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
That's why games being multi-platform is important. Enjoy any game you like despite the plastic box you choose. Also, PC gaming is as expensive as you want it to be. I bet someone can go through the entire generation with a GTX 1060 if they aim for 1080p gaming.

Agreed. Nothing says that you need to get 4K 120 Hz with ultra details. With PC you can choose the experience you want to achieve with your purchase choices and adjusting game settings or you can buy a console for a fixed level experience. Console is always going to be the most cost effective solution when purchased new. The used market for PC components will get you into a pretty decent rig for a lot less money.

Personally on PC I am gaming in the high end, 3700X and 2080 Ti currently. 4K 120 Hz. Don't feel I need anything faster really so I am in no hurry to get a 3000 series GPU. The 3090 will be too expensive and the 3080 most likely not enough of an upgrade so might as well wait for a refresh next year.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
To do both pc and console gaming is pretty extravagant for most people, the vast majority choose which is best for them.

To do both and to plan to have top of the line machines and the newest next gen consoles is extreme. Nothing wrong with it if you're into games that much but you're pretty much making it expensive yourself at that point

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
We're soon going to to see Jensen's new GPUs and Samsung comes with a new batch of ultra fast SSDs and it'll be clear that building a new high end PC gaming rig will likely cost $3000, possibly even without adding the cost of a monitor. Then we have the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft coming up being rumoured to cost up to $600, add extra SSDs for the increasingly big digital libraries and we're set back $800. A new Switch is rumored to arrive in the start of next year, another $350 I assume.

We could easily end up at $4000...
Add a new HDMI 2.1 TV into the mix as well and we're up at $5000...

Can the total cost for multiplatform gaming even be justified at this point?
Maybe the fanboys was right all along. Focus on one platform, ignore the rest, have money left to actually buy games and maybe some food too.

Sorry for rambling here, I just took a peek at the Nvidia 3000 serie thread and nearly passed out from the pricing talk.

You don't have to buy all these things at once, nor at the same time. You do it over time.

Multiplatform gaming costs more than sticking to one platform, indeed. I agree. But at the same time that means you are restricted to play a specific version, or miss out on certain exclusives. Everybody can decide for themselves what they want.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or maybe you are doing it wrong?
There is so much more to PC gaming than better FPS and higher resolutions.
PC gaming is only worth it for me if I can get a guaranteed 60FPS at a high resolution (i.e. 4K).

I spent ÂŁ1400 on my PC Feb 2019. If I want my PC to remain competitive for next gen, I will need to buy an 8 core CPU at the minimum, in addition to a GPU which is beefy enough to provide me 4k60. That will incur a rather large cost.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm limiting my gaming on the PC to the exclusives only which is basically Civilization and World of Warcraft. The rest i'll just play on my PS5.

I always bought high end cards since the 8800GT but now, i'm done this new prices after the 2000 series is just ridiculous
The pricing for the 1080Ti was actually pretty good for a 'high end model'. But yes, you are correct. Since the release of the RTX 2000 series, the pricing has gotten out of hand.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
I switched from PC to Mac this year (RIP Steam library) and am hoping to cut out one console next gen (currently have all 3). Holding onto the Xbox One X for Halo Infinite and probably will sell it after that and go with PS5 + Switch. My real hope is that one day xCloud will be able to run games well in a browser and then I can access their must-play games on the Mac and just pay for GamePass when a game I want to play is added.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Maybe it's just me, but you also have to factor in your time budget. I can game max 10-15 hours a week, so getting everything at once would be a waste in a time when fully completing a game can take 60-100 hours.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I know people who will spend more than that on wine each year or on tires every 3 months when car racing.

Heck, couple of my friends are into bike racing (bicycle) and a good bike is 2x that $4K. And let's not talk about motorcycles or boats.

Gaming is not a super expensive hobby in comparison. You also don't have to buy everything day 1 or buy highest end parts every year or two to enjoy playing games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
None of that is required though. I was playing Control yesterday on a computer made from old spare parts, running the game off of a slow hard drive. It doesn't look as good or run as well as my main PC, but I wouldn't complain if this were all I had.

edit: The cost is only as high as your demands.

Last edited:

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
There are cheaper ways to play your games OP

game-room.jpg

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The cost is high if you buy it all outright.

I've been slowly upgrading my computer and it's in a pretty decent shape for games now, but I think I want to replace one of the first parts that I got, my 1070, with a 3070.

For consoles, I got the Xbox One first, in 2014 for MCC(RIP), then my PS4 in 2015 on Boxing day on sale... then I got my Switch at launch because EB messed up my Breath of the Wild Wii U pre-order as a switch pre-order.

The time between buying each console was enough for me to finally finish upgrading my PC in 2018, and yeah. Sure the cost was a lot looking back, I've gotten a lot of use out of all of it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I resigned to the fact that this PC's gonna cost more than usual a while ago.
If I'm gonna keep playing modern games on PC, it's an upgrade that's overdue. And it's a rare expenditure, that I hope will last like half a decade.
But even with that in mind...it's really beyond my typical threshold and not something I'd normally be able to do, or at least feel comfortable doing.

I have a spreadsheet for my PC part budget. It's currently at about 70% of the total I've typically spent on a new PC, and I haven't bought the motherboard, CPU and GPU yet. Those are the most expensive parts. GPUs in particular are absolutely outrageous. Expect I'll end up somewhere around 200%. Plus a monitor.

So yeah, whether I want to or not, I'm not investing in other platforms any time soon.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder how much a PC gaming rig of equivalent performance to the XSX or PS5 would cost. Seeing that a 7 GB/s SSD alone costs $400, I'm guessing it'd cost considerably more than these consoles will end up costing.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
As already pointed out by many, you don't need to get everything top of the line to enjoy gaming. In the grand scheme of things, spending $5000 every 5 years or so on a hobby is not that outrageous really. Lots of "hobbies" are way more expensive than that. Try to get into photography for example, good camera bodies and lenses will easily cost you way more than that. Again, do you "need" the high end stuff to have fun? Not necessarily, but eventually you will want it. Same thing for other hobbies? Car or bike enthusiast? Good luck! As long as you spend within your budget and don't starve yourself or your family or skip a mortgage payment to buy a RTX 3090, it's ok.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The cost of PC gaming is getting higher and higher each year.

I know Nvidia will overprice the fuck out of their GPUs so unless AMD deliver I'm simply going to stick to console gaming for the next 2 years.

I cannot be bothered to constantly spend ÂŁ1000+ on my pc every 1-2 years. Frankly it's the biggest waste of money ever.

if you're actually upgrading every year you should also be getting a decent percentage of your costs back via selling off your old used parts though

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
PC gaming is just a HUGE waste of money. How much extra value do you get out of those extra dollars spent vs a console? Not much for the vast majority of people.

I spend a LOT less and get much more games than on consoles.

I also use PC to do everything else I need (like browsing Era now lol)

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I've never bought top of the line PC parts so my builds have always ranged from $800-$1000CDN.

I stick with AMD for CPUs and GPUs as I usually find more deals for them.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Most PCs gaming are mid to low end. And the reason why its popular is because popular PC games work on a toaster (DOTA, CS GO, LoL, Fortnite and so on) and people that want to expand their gaming taste have regional prices and lots of stores to get better deals. Plus, i have my PC to make music, edit videos and oversee my security system 🤷‍♂️

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
If PC gaming is so damn expensive why is it so much more popular than console gaming in countries where average incomes are much lower? Honest question.
PC gaming is more expensive up-front if you want high end hardware. However, PC games are a lot cheaper, both when on sale and at launch. I'd wager that a new game launching on both consoles and PC will be 30-50% cheaper on PC if you buy/pre-order your key at the right place. For instance I got Resident Evil 2 Remake at launch for less than € 35, when it would have cost me at least € 55 on PS5, same for Sekiro. If you buy a lot of games at launch, it adds up.

And I guess piracy is still a thing...

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe it's just me, but you also have to factor in your time budget. I can game max 10-15 hours a week, so getting everything at once would be a waste in a time when fully completing a game can take 60-100 hours.

This, having a fulltime job and kids and sports this generation messed me up with buying to many games. I did not even finishing them all and then the next set of games are already around the corner. I have all three consoles because i want to play the exclusives, but if all games where on PC i would switch in an instant.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yes, PC gaming is very expensive, you have to be strategic and wait for deals, get older parts, not upgrading everything at once, stuff like that. Do you really need to run everything at 4k60fps? Or do you just want to play the games? I don't mind playing stuff on 720p here with a few tweaks.

Also, these threads are usually very elitists and full of people that have no awareness about how privileged they are.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
You don't buy a PC for 3000 grand unless you have the money to spend / waste...
You upgrade it over time.

My rig is running a Ryzen 5 1600x and a GTX 1070.
I probably need to update the CPU but the GPU is still fine for 1080p gaming.

And yes, gaming is a costly hobby. It's a luxury. That's nothing new though.

Seriously? Roughly the same.
You can get a decent gaming machine for 500 to 600 bucks (not counting peripherals).
Would a 5-600 bucks PC be as powerful as the Series X or PS5?