• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, cool. As someone who isn't a huge DC fan, I've been looking for a reading list. Double cool to see a good amount of people calling it a good list (or at least, "safe", which to me means those are still good).

I'm going to ask a very dumb question though - when searching for these books how do you tell the difference between two with the same title? I'm looking at #1 Batman and #8 Batman here. Do you have to search by author? Or do they have secondary names I don't know / aren't listed?

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wow, this is the first list I've seen for anything where pretty much all my favorites are there and prominently placed. Super happy to see Steph's Batgirl run and 52 so high! And Black Mirror is there!!! And Gotham Central!!!

(Plus Swamp Thing and Animal Man but those feel like gimmes alongside Sandman)

Only missing Flintstones (which should count if the Vertigo stuff does). And the New52 Animal Man one, which was my favorite of the relaunch for awhile besides Batman.

Also is the newer Justice League Dark really that good? I was consistently disappointed with the New52 run.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is the first list I've seen for anything where pretty much all my favorites are there and prominently placed. Super happy to see Steph's Batgirl run and 52 so high! And Black Mirror is there!!! And Gotham Central!!!

(Plus Swamp Thing and Animal Man but those feel like gimmes alongside Sandman)

Only missing Flintstones (which should count if the Vertigo stuff does). And the New52 Animal Man one, which was my favorite of the relaunch for awhile besides Batman.

Also is the newer Justice League Dark really that good? I was consistently disappointed with the New52 run.
Yes, I didn't even think of Flintstones, but you're right it definitely belongs. What a surprisingly great series.

Jun 17, 2019
I'm happy to see Young Justice and Super sons on there along with JSA and Both Steph and Cass BATGIRLS.

Surprised by Rucka's WW and not his Batman runs. Glad to see a good group of characters. And superman smashes the Klan is gold.

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
8'm going to ask a very dumb question though - when searching for these books how do you tell the difference between two with the same title? I'm looking at #1 Batman and #8 Batman here. Do you have to search by author? Or do they have secondary names I don't know / aren't listed?

Yep! For some of these going from that to buying a book will be as simple as searching comic name and author. For the longer runs though (meaning larger than a singular collected volume) you should lookup the title and author reading order in Google. If you want a site for comic book reading orders I would recommend comicbookherald though there are other similar websites. They have great reading orders and will link to how the issues are collected. Unfortunately unlike manga big two superhero comics can have complicated reading orders so anytime I am looking to read a critically lauded series's like the ones in the OP I have to find corresponding reading orders to even know what to read.

There are a ton of comics listed in the OP. Some of those runs are 50+ individual issues. Given that would recommend DC Universe Infinite so trying out all these great comics aren't so expensive.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Yep! For some of these going from that to buying a book will be as simple as searching comic name and author. For the longer runs though (meaning larger than a singular collected volume) you should lookup the title and author reading order in Google. If you want a site for comic book reading orders I would recommend comicbookherald though there are other similar websites. They have great reading orders and will link to how the issues are collected. Unfortunately unlike manga big two superhero comics can have complicated reading orders so anytime I am looking to read a critically lauded series's like the ones in the OP I have to find corresponding reading orders to even know what to read.

There are a ton of comics listed in the OP. Some of those runs are 50+ individual issues. Given that would recommend DC Universe Infinite so trying out all these great comics aren't so expensive.

Thanks for the advice! I was hoping this would be as easy as reading something like The Long Haloween, which is in one book, but it sounds like it's going to be a bit of a chore. Oh well, I can spring for a month or two of DC Universe. Do they ever run subscription sales at any specific times? I once got Marvel Unlimited for like 1$ a month back on some Black-Friday deal. Feel like that was 10 years ago though :(

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Mark Waid's Flash is basically DC's Spider-Man. A classic legendary run that often still goes overlooked.

May 24, 2019
No, as Ys is in the list. So Lucifer, Trasmetropolitan and Preacher really should all be there. Lucifer especially is one of the best DC comics ever, perhaps my favourite.

JLA is the best thing he's ever done and that's saying something.

The fantastic DC 1M crossover he helmed right in the middle of that too....*chefs kiss*
Morrison goes by they/them, just fyi.

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the 3 Batman by Grant Morrison omnibus after this thread. Is there anything else I should be reading from this run, or is that a pretty solid chunk for this run?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I didn't think All star Superman was considered a "run".
I kind of feel that way too, maxi and mini series probably shouldn't be included but were they All-star Supes is easily one of if not the best in all DC history. Glad to see Smashes the Klan up there though I'd put it way higher.

Morrisons Batman run is a true epic imo.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Watchmen is my all-time favourite comic-related thing, so I would personally have put it at the top, but the list is very very respectable.

Grant Morrison's run on Batman is one of my favourites, although it's a pretty massive commitment - very rewarding though.

May 24, 2019
I picked up the 3 Batman by Grant Morrison omnibus after this thread. Is there anything else I should be reading from this run, or is that a pretty solid chunk for this run?
You'll want to get Grant's Final Crisis event since it runs during their Batman and heavily affects it. There's probably a summary in the omni, but I think it's worth reading.

edit: Their Superman and Multiversity are great too. To some degree all of Grant's DC works feed into each other. I say go Morrison crazy.