• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Like DLSS? Did we know PS5 would have something similar? (assuming I'm understanding right)

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Wait... what? Is this the "secret sauce" that Sony has mentioned before? Built in deep learning hardware... surely not?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So this is an hour before the state of play huh. Weird.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Twitch streamer ZombaeKillz joins the Tom's Hardware gang live as they talk PC builds for streaming, PS5's DLSS-like future and more."

This sounds like them misinterpreting that patent already covered.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if this is about that patent, then it's already incorrect. if there was deep learning hardware, Cerny would have mentioned it in the GDC talk

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm hoping for something graphics/processing related but I will go ahead and safely assume it's just regarding voice recognition/commands.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
actually hold on, wasn't that patent debunked? originally it was meant to be some DLSS stuff but it turned out to be about model scanning or something. i don't think we've heard of any sort of reconstruction tech for the PS5 so this could be new news. doubt it'd come from toms hardware of all places tho.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if it's merely a technical breakdown of the parent (still interesting) or if they've sought further clarification on how this all works with the PS5 specifically?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Tom's Hardware, always google's top research result but never actually has the answers you're looking for haha.

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... what? Is this the "secret sauce" that Sony has mentioned before? Built in deep learning hardware... surely not?
They have talked about AI and their sound technology using it for some stuff like individual hearing profile or whatever that was. Don't know if they ever said their AI stuff was ever a PS5 thing like in the console.
One could imagine them trying some dlss stuff using crowd- sourced ingame screenshots for their own solution but i am not yet convinced until they show something for real.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
If Sony was revealing new information, it would be in a dedicated video, not nearly a part of a weekly podcast/webcast.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually today in five hours.
Good thing it wasn't posted yesterday. I want to know if this type of thing will be in AMD cards in the future. I want a AMD CPU + card combo, but if there's no DLSS like feature I might have to suck it up and go Nvidia yet again. Such boring cards to overclock. Polaris was so awesome and open.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
If the PS5 had something like that, you wouldn't have seen a bunch of 30 fps games lol. It'd be cool but its probably not going to be DLSS tier stuff and more importantly probably not just in some random ass podcast if it was. I'm okay with being wrong though because this would be great news.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I think they will just talk about the DLSS-like patent. Sony has a history of shadowdropping PS5 news with the Wired, so I'd expect them to break any news and not Tom's Hardware.

NO HYPE PLS

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the PS5 had something like that, you wouldn't have seen a bunch of 30 fps games lol. It'd be cool but its probably not going to be DLSS tier stuff and more importantly probably not just in some random ass podcast if it was. I'm okay with being wrong though because this would be great news.
hell if it had that and we still got all these 30fps games, that's quite telling of RDNA2

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not enough pc gaming hype? Are they going to start covering console gaming on their website?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Already posted, but I'll do it again in a larger font. From the youtube description:
Twitch streamer ZombaeKillz joins the Tom's Hardware gang live as they talk PC builds for streaming, PS5's DLSS-like future and more.
It's probably just a regularly scheduled podcast and the DLSS patent (which is likely misunderstood) made the topic list.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
DLSS 3.0 here we go! Render at 240p, upscale to 4k that looks better than 8k!

Either that, or this is BS because Cerny would have told us if PS5 had tensor cores.

I know which one I would rather believe! I bet the tensor cores are hidden in the powerbrick. 5D chess. Well played Mark-senpai. Etc. etc.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

Either that, or this is BS because Cerny would have told us if PS5 had tensor cores.

I know which one I would rather believe! I bet the tensor cores are hidden in the powerbrick. 5D chess. Well played Mark-senpai. Etc. etc.
To be fair, that one ex-engineer said there were secrets to the PS5 features, but I reckon tensor cores are just too big to not be talked on the Road to PS5. lol

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Before people get too excited, Sony's Deep Learning patent was to do with potentially analysing how people play games and tailoring it for them i.e. if they keep getting stuck it could alter the difficulty just until they get past that section. It's nothing to do with upscaling graphics.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
actually hold on, wasn't that patent debunked? originally it was meant to be some DLSS stuff but it turned out to be about model scanning or something. i don't think we've heard of any sort of reconstruction tech for the PS5 so this could be new news. doubt it'd come from toms hardware of all places tho.

I was curious about whether its possible they just worded the patent for that specific application to make it legally distinct from Nvidia's solution. I have no idea how patent law works though.

Before people get too excited, Sony's Deep Learning patent was to do with potentially analysing how people play games and tailoring it for them i.e. if they keep getting stuck it could alter the difficulty just until they get past that section. It's nothing to do with upscaling graphics.

Ah yeah I remember the nebulous talk around that before, would be good to get some clarification on that if it is indeed the topic they are going to discuss

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Cerny did mention machine learning in wired article though?

Wired article on ps5:
"More generally, we're seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Cerny did mention machine learning in wired article though?

Cerny on ps5:
"More generally, we're seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."
Someone from EA mentioned it as well. I don't think it's anywhere near the level of even a 2060/dlss1.0 so that might be why they haven't talked about it other than in small quips.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Dunno what is this, but PS5 supports machine learning. We know this since the second wired article.

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we're seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."