• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Part of me thinks it might just be a mistake. The Base Game page lets you see "options" but if you pick the XS version it says "not sold separately" which seems like the spot the upgrade should be in if you have a digital copy.

The biggest issue (besides lack of 4 player split screen coop) is that the frame rate isn't unlocked in resolution mode (capped at 30fps). If that was unlocked it would basically be the XSX version.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Not true. I learned this the hard way when I accidentally bought the Xbox One version of Call of Duty Vangaurd and was wondering why the game looked and ran like shit with tons of pop-in. I had no choice but to physically buy the game again on sale, making sure it was the Series X specific version.

It's fucking stupid that Microsoft provided literally the easiest way to upgrade and publishers still finds way to make this shit as complicated as possible.
It seems you bought the physical version? only the digital version has an upgrade option, which is similar situation to this game. I think this was the case for other game like THPS 1-2.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Part of me thinks it might just be a mistake. The Base Game page lets you see "options" but if you pick the XS version it says "not sold separately" which seems like the spot the upgrade should be in if you have a digital copy.

The biggest issue (besides lack of 4 player split screen coop) is that the frame rate isn't unlocked in resolution mode (capped at 30fps). If that was unlocked it would basically be the XSX version.
Doubtful a mistake. All 2K Xbox titles have had this weird separation (WWE 2K, NBA 2K also) that doesn't allow an upgrade. In order to get the XSX version of NBA 21 on XBO, you had to buy the more expensive Mamba edition that would come with both. Otherwise it's just the standard copy. WWE doesn't even let saves transfer between versions.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'm saying not true to Microsoft preventing publishers from offering paid upgrades. Microsoft always touted Smart Delivery as a feature but it was never a mandate in place that publishers had to follow them.
Yes, I know they offer Smart Delivery. But in doing so, apparently they prevent publishers from offering like $10 upgrades. At least that's what I heard at launch.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Microsoft reportedly against publishers charging for Xbox Series X upgrades

Microsoft has reportedly been telling developers and publishers they are not allowed to charge players who wish to upgr…

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Doubtful a mistake. All 2K Xbox titles have had this weird separation (WWE 2K, NBA 2K also) that doesn't allow an upgrade. In order to get the XSX version of NBA 21 on XBO, you had to buy the more expensive Mamba edition that would come with both. Otherwise it's just the standard copy. WWE doesn't even let saves transfer between versions.
Just seems odd since the FAQ didn't say you couldn't upgrade the digital version. They specifically said only the physical version.

Since the option of buying a new disc or buying a new version on digital is the exact same issue lol.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
This sucks but fortunately it's insanely easy to get Microsoft to refund digital purchases that happen recently

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
This seems needlessly convoluted, good on Jawmuncher for bringing attention to it.

I really hate publishers doing these paid upgrades, especially when there isn't much of an upgrade.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yes, I know they offer Smart Delivery. But in doing so, apparently they prevent publishers from offering like $10 upgrades. At least that's what I heard at launch.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Microsoft has reportedly been telling developers and publishers they are not allowed to charge players who wish to upgr…
this seems... not great? I guess it acts as a deterrent to pubs thinking of charging for upgrades. But locking people into their XBO version when a publisher DOES opt out of SD doesn't seem like a good answer either.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Like with Hot Wheels Unleashed; you have to be careful which version you buy especially at retail.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Considering how rare it is for this to be an issue, it seems to work great as a deterrent.
Yeah for sure, it's why I'm hesitant to outright say they should reverse the policy. I dunno, here's hoping we can work through this cross-gen period sooner rather than later... the issue will kinda sort itself when last-gen is dropped.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

www.gamesindustry.biz

They don't there are have several non-smart delivery games where that has been an option.

Control and Call of Duty Cold War Spring to mind.
Control,

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I bought this on my series x for 59.99 and I don't have the Series X version how do you upgrade

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This also required you to upgrade the game to the deluxe version for $10. Only the deluxe version didn't require an additional purchase.
It seems like the "next-level" if you own digitally should have a option to do similar.
So I bought this on my series x for 59.99 and I don't have the Series X version how do you upgrade
That's the issue atm. If you haven't played it yet I'd just refund as there's no word on an upgrade

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh so I already played it and am shit out of luck. I have no problem paying the upgrade fee but they lost a life long customer here without that path

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ugh so I already played it and am shit out of luck. I have no problem paying the upgrade fee but they lost a life long customer here without that path
You have 2 hours of play to submit a refund - plus I'd imagine if you said you bought the wrong version they'd help out:
Strangely , you can't actually buy the old version from a new machine, it selects it for you.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I don't think it's the first time one of these dumb delivery titles has not been set up correctly for launch. Crossfire X recently had something similar.

I'm guessing that they haven't got it set up so you can buy the XS version for £5 if you have the standard version on your account.

The over all setup and bundles are the same as the PS5

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully Microsoft support was able to refund me provided I bought that next level version. Fuck 2k btw

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
To put this in perspective, Smart Delivery is absurdly easy to apply to existing titles. The way Xbox packaging works means that the company had to actually put in effort to make an entirely new version of the game just to circumvent it.

They had to put in effort to make it deliberately bad for the customers. It's like that new Apple monitor with the entirely new proprietary plug design that claims you can't remove it, people had to sit down and actively plan and design a new power cord that's actually bad to unplug. I can't comprehend the mindset behind this.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
To put this in perspective, Smart Delivery is absurdly easy to apply to existing titles. The way Xbox packaging works means that the company had to actually put in effort to make an entirely new version of the game just to circumvent it.

They had to put in effort to make it deliberately bad for the customers. It's like that new Apple monitor with the entirely new proprietary plug design that claims you can't remove it, people had to sit down and actively plan and design a new power cord that's actually bad to unplug. I can't comprehend the mindset behind this.
That's terrible. Being an outsider to the industry I assumed it was just something in the process overlooked but to see that they had to actively circumvent it is mind boggling.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Series version is $10 more than One version. So they did it for a reason.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Series version is $10 more than One version. So they did it for a reason.
That's an excuse, not a reason. In so much as there's no real reason why it needed to cost any different, it's the same game but with the graphical options altered, and the PC version costs less as well.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty shitty after BL3 being a smart delivery title, but that was a one off judging by 2K's output.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's an excuse, not a reason. In so much as there's no real reason why it needed to cost any different, it's the same game but with the graphical options altered, and the PC version costs less as well.
The reason is they wanted to. The fact that it's more work to not use SD (which I certainly agree with) isn't particularly meaningful when using SD would have prevented them from charging more for the Series version, which is, again, exactly what they wanted to do.

It certainly didn't need to cost any different, but 2K wanted to charge more, so here we are.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Got a support message back that basically just said "I dunno read the FAQ" even though we already know what that says.

Gonna just chalk this up as no upgrade optio. AT ALL on Xbox. Unless someone gets a hold of someone higher up.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who became a PC gamer before the last generation, reading these summaries of which version you get on which console is the pic of Patrick from Spongebob drooling because he doesn't understand anything.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a support message back that basically just said "I dunno read the FAQ" even though we already know what that says.

Gonna just chalk this up as no upgrade optio. AT ALL on Xbox. Unless someone gets a hold of someone higher up.

If you bought the Xbox one version on accident try calling their support. I asked them that if I buy the next level version can they refund the other and they did

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

www.gamesindustry.biz

Yeah this is not true in the slightest. You can pay to upgrade games on Xbox, 2K must have just made a conscious decision to prevent this here or they fucked up and don't feel like fixing it.

Again I'm sitting here wondering why the fuck certain publishers don't just go with the default of Smart Delivery aside from wanting to squeeze $10 out of people. At the same time, if they're gonna do that, why not offer that upgrade as well? Makes zero sense.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Looks like there isn't an upgrade option for XB1 (even if you own the digital version of the game). As the only option is that you can buy the game again via the other versions.

Put in a support ticket to see if this is an oversight. As the FAQ made no mention of never being able to upgrade.
Yeah I'm dealing with GMG via support right now because of this. Bought the version on their page that shows the base version being X/S optimized and clearly it's not since the optimized version is not showing as being owned and mine doesn't have the X/S logo. Not sure what they'll be able to do.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah I'm dealing with GMG via support right now because of this. Bought the version on their page that shows the base version being X/S optimized and clearly it's not since the optimized version is not showing as being owned and mine doesn't have the X/S logo. Not sure what they'll be able to do.
I sent a ticket specifically to gearbox so we'll see what it says. The situation is rather annoying since the faq and media outlets were all under the impression digital could be updated

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I sent a ticket specifically to gearbox so we'll see what it says. The situation is rather annoying since the faq and media outlets were all under the impression digital could be updated
Any opinion on what I should expect GMG to do when they respond? I know it's not as easy as Microsoft just issuing a refund but I'm certainly not buying a second version. I don't think they intentionally mislead the purchase but really don't want to spend any more for what I thought I was buying. Sent then a screenshot of the product page which showed the incorrect info.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Any opinion on what I should expect GMG to do when they respond? I know it's not as easy as Microsoft just issuing a refund but I'm certainly not buying a second version. I don't think they intentionally mislead the purchase but really don't want to spend any more for what I thought I was buying. Sent then a screenshot of the product page which showed the incorrect info.
Would just keep at it since it's definitely on them that it was listed wrong. Worse comes to worse the game is at least a locked 60FPS in Performance mode and doesn't look bad if we both end up never being able to upgrade.

Lack of 4 player splitscreen will be the biggest thing missing