• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna say these two movies are good, but at worse they're dumb, disposable popcorn flicks.

One thing they got right is the casting and the costumes for the Fantastic Four team, which is pretty faithful to the comics.
DjHRMGs.jpg

And yes, though they did botch Galactus and Dr. Doom (still way better than the Fan4stic version), the Silver Surfer was perfect.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
they're god awful. all this love online is inexplicably given to Evan''s johnny storm too and its a fucking terrible performance. it belongs on a Disney channel show.

I haven't seen Elektra so aside from that I could safely say this is the worst pair of superhero movies to come from Fox. I even found the first Wolverine flick to have some more palatable elements.

notachoice

Oct 25, 2017
The best I can say is that these movies are "okay." Then again, they're masterpieces compared to the 2015 movie.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Fantastic Four have never gotten their due in films, movies, cartoons, or games. It's kind of crazy how the OG Superhero family's best appearance off page is the Pixar take on them.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
The casting was pretty bad. I like Evans but didn't like him as HT (may have been the writing/supporting cast tho?). Thing was... fine I guess? Rest was garbage. Horrible doom choice IMO but they also couldn't pull off a good villain to save there lives. I didn't mind Surfer but he was ultimately a very minor acting part in the movie.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they're god awful. all this love online is inexplicably given to Evan''s johnny storm too and its a fucking terrible performance. it belongs on a Disney channel show.

I haven't seen Elektra so aside from that I could safely say this is the worst pair of superhero movies to come from Fox. I even found the first Wolverine flick to have some more palatable elements.

I think Fan4stic made me look at these more fondly.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

Took the words out of my mouth.

There is nothing to these films, nothing.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
They're fine. They lack the heart and ambition that other titles of the era (namely Spider-Man and X-Men) had, but they're still light hearted enough to be enjoyable.

Fan4stic is a joyless husk of a movie.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
They're bad.

The teaser trailer for Rise of the SIlver Surfer was neat tho, I'll give it that.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I was 17 and coming off of the first serious relationship of my life and was depressed for a week until I was dragged along to see rise of the silver surfer. I will always be grateful to it, finally got my mind off the girl and instead was blown away by how bad the movie was.

Laurence Fishburne did his best though.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
not great movies. But hey doctor doom looked like he did in the comics in the first movie at least.

Also I liked the thing in those movies.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I didn't enjoy them very much in theaters, but I revisited them a while back (well, probably like 8 years ago at this point) on some lazy weekend afternoon and thought they were goofy and mildly entertaining.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No they're pretty bad. It sucks that there isn't a good F4 movie

and don't say the Incredibles. Not what I'm talking about.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, they are pretty bad. Fishburn voicing the surfer was a good choice though. Too bad not in a better movie.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I really enjoyed these look backs on them from these two guys. Funny stuff and they don't just shit all over them (don't let the title of the show mislead you).

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even as a kid I knew the first was crap. Saw the second one because I thought it might be an improvement. Nope.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand the acting in those films, especially Jessica Alba. Pre upgrade Chris Evans wasn't so good either.

But they did do Silver Surfer right.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
They're bad in a generic, boring way, like X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Also the CG in them is terrible.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
all i remember is jessica alba being horribly miscast, and then they made it worst by making her look "white" by putting her in a blonde wig and gave those her horrible blue contact lenses

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Incredibles is how you do Fantastic 4 right.
They even have pretty much the same power and personality; Elastic Girl is Reed (sensible personality), Violet is Susan (the quiet but powerful one), Mr. Incredible is The Thing (handles everything with brute force), Dash is Human Torch (can't fly but can go fast and is cocky)

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
all i remember is jessica alba being horribly miscast, and then they made it worst by making her look "white" by putting her in a blonde wig and gave those her horrible blue contact lenses
And then having a scene on a bridge where she has to strip down to her underwear in order to turn invisible...and her turning invisible accomplishes nothing for good measure.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't that long ago that I watched the first one. I don't think I can ever watch either again now that my standards for a superhero movie have been heightened thanks to more recent superhero films (here's looking at you, Logan).

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Norrin Radd. What have they done to my boy.

At least we have the amazingly cosmic Surfer show on D+

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Silver Surfer movie was much better than the original. But they're both botch jobs. Shambling husks of the F4 and their accompanying characters and themes.

And I don't agree with the great casting at all. The only two that I think worked were Reed and Grimm. Hated Alba as Sue and Evans as Storm. And everything about the original film's portrayal of Doom should be forgotten.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
source.gif

Fantastic Four have never gotten their due in films, movies, cartoons, or games. It's kind of crazy how the OG Superhero family's best appearance off page is the Pixar take on them.

It is kind of amazing that, at least in my memory, the "best" version of them in non comic medium is... the time they replaced the Human Torch with a robot so that kids wouldn't set themselves on fire.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
they were about as "fun" as comic book movies could conceivably be at the time

not so much they were bad it was kind of whatever