• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
This is literally "Those who understand strategy are in AWE of Pelosi the master right now."

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on! I know some of yaw would rather cut off your leg then give Nancy Pelosi any credit but , Jesus Christ her waiting and prudent timing is paying off in spades. No body wants Trump gone/behind bars more then me but moving sooner then now would have been premature. Sure, would have made us feel good but it wouldn't have had the same impact.

Trump is a lady shitty man baby but don't forget he's the fucking president of the United States. When you move against him, you have to do it right the first time because your not getting a second chance.
The problem is that this article's overcorrecting WAY too far in the opposite direction into "Pelosi the 12th dimensional chess master", there was an NYT article a day or two ago that was similarly living in revisionist history, but nowhere close to this degree. She indeed did get vindicated on the decision to hold off on taking the actually attempting to remove him from office until an opportunity presented itself, but that in and of itself didn't cause Trump to be a dummy and fall into a trap, there just was never a clear, unambiguous opportunity to do it prior to him screwing himself over on his own.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You have a lot more faith in those investigations than me. All signs point to Trump continuing to Stonewall them, refusing to turn over info, ignoring subpoenas, and suing anyone who tried to comply. Remember they only had to delay it a year and a half, not forever.
No. I don't. Trump stonewalling the investigations was leading to more reps supporting impeachment which would've lead to Pelosi flipping eventually, probably within the next few months regardless. If some of the investigations bore fruit it would've only made impeachment easier at, again, no cost other than a few months and a few people freaking out that government doesn't act on things instantly.

There was no course of events that would not have lead to impeachment eventually within the next few months with the way things were going.

This is even more true with what we now know about Barr. After the Mueller memo, it was obvious to anyone he was protecting Trump, but with this report we now have our worst fears confirmed: the entire DOJ is in Trump's pocket.
Well, yeah.

And I'm still convinced the only reason this is happening at all is because they tried to hide it. If they had just handed over the complaint when asked Democrats still would have acreamed, Republicans would furrow their brows, but Trump would have shrugged it off as now big deal. But because he tried to hide it, he looks guilty.
I certainly agreed that him trying to hide it made it look worse.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
FavoriteWeakCormorant-size_restricted.gif

Beat me to it.
Please someone take this and put Pelosi's head on Luigi, and then Trump, Rudy, and Barr's on the others

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Pelosi, again, did nothing. Nothing of consequence will be done until after Trump is out of office. The Senate is Republican held, and will not impeach their President. NY state, on the other hand, will likely go after him after he's no longer in office for things he did in the state of NY involving fraud, tax evasion and hush money.
He'll go down like a stupid Capone.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This is almost Q-Anon levels of delusion. If Trump wins in 2020, I'm expecting people to say that is somehow part of Pelosi's master plan at this point.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nadler, Schiff, and Cummings wouldn't have been nearly so free to run their committees' investigations as they have were that the case.
She would have had to answer to her own party for stifling them, and investigations are ammunition for the 2020 election. I'm not saying Pelosi's actions are consistent with supporting Trump. They just look to me like she ruled out impeachment as a ridiculous pie-in-the-sky notion, and is now being pushed reluctantly into it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
She would have had to answer to her own party for stifling them, and investigations are ammunition for the 2020 election. I'm not saying Pelosi's actions are consistent with supporting Trump. They just look to me like she ruled out impeachment as a ridiculous pie-in-the-sky notion, and is now being pushed reluctantly into it.
You said "didn't want to" not "didn't plan on" so I was responding to the notion of being actively opposed.

As I said:

She waited for public opinion and her caucus to be on board with impeachment before officially saying impeachment in order to avoid the risk of political blowback while letting the committees continue to do the investigations necessary for impeachment in the background. This latest scandal was clear and impactful enough to tip the scales.

It's no more or less complex than that.
Though if the calculus never quite got there I don't doubt she wouldn't have pushed the button.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
What a mind-numbingly stupid take. It's clear as day that she didn't want to impeach and had to get dragged into doing so.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That is not a good take.

The Chosen Orange ended up being a dumbass recidivist, but that's not something that anyone should have bet on.

On the other hand ... he did end up self-impeaching. Maybe some credit is due.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I've learned from the last 3 years is that no one in Washington is actually a veteran master strategist with some massive network of dead man's switches and political traps for their opponents. They're all just bumbling, cowardly, old fools to some degree or another. Sometimes good things happen, more often than not by coincidence, but on the whole none of this stuff is as complicated or premeditated as some people want to act like it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I mean it was smart not to give in to base emotions and lead an Impeachment inquiry into a fiery PR disaster on the House but how we got here was mere opportunity.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up with the US side of things as I've been too busy watching my home country of the UK turn into a racist facist shitheel hellhole, but I thought Pelosi had to be pushed into this decision and there's a consensus she should have made it way before now?

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Goddess Pelosi playing the long con and showing all the Democrat new blood how it's done. Thank you, based queen.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, this article is nuts.

Events have transpired is such a way that Trump delivered a cause for impeachment on a silver platter, and the Democrats are seizing the opportunity.

But that wasn't the plan. The plan was to beat him at the ballot box.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Luck has a lot to do with it. I think we all knew that Trump world continue to break laws and eventually screw up, but the way it all went down I doubt could have been planned for. It's like the scene in Skyfall, where the train just happens to crash at the perfect time and place for the villain to make his escape.

In Pelosi's version of rope-a-dope, she'd just continue to get clobbered for the rest of the match and hope the next match goes her way.
Luck has very little to do with this.

From day 2 this white house couldn't stop leaks. Some of them came from the President talking to rich people who have no obligation to maintain disclosure.

Even before his campaign we knew he was a greedy individual and during it it became obvious he was corrupt like the way he loaned his own money to the campaign and used donations to pay it back.

6 months in we learned various team members was working to keep his worse impulses in check culminating in the resistance op ed.

Those people arguing that Pelosi could wait had the right idea that Trump could do more things that he could be impeached for. What was silly about their rationale was that Trump already crossed that line multiple times.

They were wrong to think Pelosi was waiting for this but it is fair to say Trump could do things that was less accepted by cynical Americans over time.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Pelosi was right to hold on impeachment because the votes weren't there. But to assume that a perfect scandal this big would just materialize if they waited is duuuuuummmmb.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Luck has very little to do with this.

From day 2 this white house couldn't stop leaks. Some of them came from the President talking to rich people who have no obligation to maintain disclosure.

Even before his campaign we knew he was a greedy individual and during it it became obvious he was corrupt like the way he loaned his own money to the campaign and used donations to pay it back.

6 months in we learned various team members was working to keep his worse impulses in check culminating in the resistance op ed.

Those people arguing that Pelosi could wait had the right idea that Trump could do more things that he could be impeached for. What was silly about their rationale was that Trump already crossed that line multiple times.

They were wrong to think Pelosi was waiting for this but it is fair to say Trump could do things that was less accepted by cynical Americans over time.
Or he could just not do what he did and continue to skate by. Flip a coin.

We got lucky that things happened how they did.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is hilariously stupid. Trump Trumped his way into impeachment. It wasn't some grand plan by the dems to give him enough rope to hang himself, and that's why they didn't do it sooner. "It was all...part of the plan." Okay, yeah. 🙄🙄

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this would be like someone saying Wendy's is a master at business for adding a breakfast menu

#WENDYSWRECKFAST

Oct 27, 2017
Her solution to all of this was to beat him at the ballot box. It is pretty stupid to say "you have 4 years to commit all the crimes you want without repercussions"

Don't agree with her hesitance and desire to drag her feet on an impeachment inquiry because it may not have been politically expedient at the time. Do think that the numerous crimes this President have committed when it comes to emoluments, obstruction and other obviously illegal conduct should are complex and take time and effort from an information gathering and prosecutorial standpoint that Nancy could have done much, much better on though.

Nobody was saying she was stupid. We were saying she was a gutless coward, of which there is AMPLE evidence.
I wouldn't go as far in calling her that but yes, she hasn't been anywhere near forceful or proactive enough.

Throughout her career? Of course not.

On this extremely important issue that demanded immediate attention well before yesterday? Yes, she has been useless up until now.

Fair enough.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, what a shit of an article.

Nancy trying to win a fair game of monopoly against a banker who steals money to win. Good luck with that!!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi really doesn't get much claim to fame here in my book. As it was said before, this guy has clobbered everyone over the fucking head with all of his impeachable offenses.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Article is bad. Laughably bad and revisionist as all hell. She more or less had the situation fall on her lap.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nice to see the 'actually, this stupid terrible thing they did was good and smart' approach can apply to both sides of the aisle on occasion