• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
OMG that twist :O

The entire episode was honestly really creepy, given where we last left things in Osea.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017

The entire episode was honestly really creepy, given where we last left things in Osea.

Whoa, episode 4 is out? Won't be able to watch until this long-ass workday ends.
Without spoiling too much, does the new episode continue any of the story beats left open from the Jude Law portion?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London

Haha I dunno why but I just assumed that twist was the case from the beginning, but then as it went on I was thinking 'oh no that's not right', so it somehow came back around by the end to be a surprise again. Although I think I preferred it when there wasn't that kind of close link, but we'll see how it plays out.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I think I preferred it when there wasn't that kind of close link, but we'll see how it plays out.

I don't know how it would work if it wasn't linked like that - Jude Law was kept there because he was their chosen one or whatever - what would be their reason for keeping Naomie Harris? This is an inversion of that, where they don't want her there and she's the one pushing to stay, which I think is pretty neat. It also gives her more agency, where she's (PRESUMABLY) not just being terrorized for 3 episodes - a good way of making the back half feel distinct from the first half.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't know how it would work if it wasn't linked like that - Jude Law was kept there because he was their chosen one or whatever - what would be their reason for keeping Naomie Harris? This is an inversion of that, where they don't want her there and she's the one pushing to stay, which I think is pretty neat. It also gives her more agency, where she's (PRESUMABLY) not just being terrorized for 3 episodes - a good way of making the back half feel distinct from the first half.
You're probably right! It also makes a lot of her behaviour in this episode make a lot more sense, I think I'm just generally weary of stories feeling too closed lately, where everything is linked to the existing characters, but you're right it does work here.

So do we think that the airbnb was available but once they saw who it was they pretended as if the island was shut down, or is that just a coincidence?

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Just caught up with ep 4, I wasn't sure about this Winter arc but hoo boy what a reveal. Can't believe I didn't see it coming, so much more excited for the rest now!

Also I spent yesterday going through the unique experience of watching the 12 hour special. Fascinating stuff, a bit wobbly in places as to be expected with such an insane technical undertaking, but a really powerful sense of place and of lurching dread. Strikingly gorgeous at points too, you could call it 'live cinema' in a real sense - even unplanned visual details like drops of rain getting on the camera lens and refracting light contributed powerfully to the tone. Anyone following the show should at least make sure to check out Jude Law and Katherine Waterston's scenes.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking dreadfully annoying kid aside, this was yet another good episode. I liked Naomi's character and the ambience was stellar as usual, but I do hope the show stops being so obtuse. I also take some very minor pride in predicting the twist (though it was quite obvious, heh).

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Haha I dunno why but I just assumed that twist was the case from the beginning, but then as it went on I was thinking 'oh no that's not right', so it somehow came back around by the end to be a surprise again. Although I think I preferred it when there wasn't that kind of close link, but we'll see how it plays out.

I had exactly this! They kept the reveal for the perfect moment imo, I'd practically dismissed it.

One thing I'm yet to figure out:
In the Summer eps Sam calls his wife Cas, and that's what she's down as in his phone. But on IMDb Naomie Harris is credited as "Helen"...

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

A good way of framing it.

I just kept thinking even if she had an ulterior motive for coming to the island aside for holiday, her actions were frustrating.

1st time someone turns you away - okay
2nd time mixed with overall creepy vibe - time to cross the causeway

Certainly don't wander through abandoned housing developments with 2 young girls

I am curious how everything links up, as I expect the older daughter's birthday happening will be a factor.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
This show has such a sense of idiosyncrasy. It's so strange in a darkly curious way. They really nail this sense of stumbling upon something that is completely out of your depth, and yet you continue to wade.

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My guess on how the show goes on:
I bet Katherine Waterston and Naomie Harris characters are gonna at odds with each other for being the chosen ''Mother'' of the island. Naomie's motivation for even participating in this absurdity is to be with her husband and son. And Jude Law is gonna look crazy as a coconut for fully embracing the Father seat. Naomie is either gonna save the whole family or depressingly join the cult (like Jude) in the end. It's probably the former.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Has the 12 hour episode been archived at all? I wasn't able to time in for long that day in the end, frustratingly.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Florence from Florence and the Machine was in the live event?!

In a nod to the show's opening song, Florence Welch of musical act Florence and the Machine also joins the cast of "Autumn," as Veronica. Her vocal talents are utilized as she leads an original call-and-response song at each station of the cross, the music a strange mix of traditional Essex folk song and Christian hymn.

IJPwVts.jpg

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Really liked the latest episode, goddamn. Naomi Harris is fucking KILLING IT, and so do most of the other actors here. Not a fan of Waterston's acting though. This show really nails the "dull dread" vibe many others have attempted at but failed. And with visuals such as these, it's awesome. Let's just hope the finale doesn't shit the bed hard; the last week I've plowed through both seasons of Castle Rock, and I can't take a third season of "great stretch with a fucking disastrous misfire of an ending". Holy shit, the end of Castle Rock's season 2 was tuh-rrible.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really fucking hope next week is good, because so far this show has been really fantastic. I feel like it's standing pretty apart from everything else going on at the moment, and this year has already been relatively good for TV. Even with stuff like Midsommar, I don't think that sense of dread and mystery was as palpable and thick as it is here.

Cannot wait for next week's episode.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The girl Elle was paling around with looked familiar, them remembered she was on The Witcher as the main young girl.

I would tend to avoid going places that are special, require a key and my mum and sister aren't allowed to come. But maybe that's just me.

Might want to keep kids close to you, with everybody in the town giving off an eerie/weird vibe.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Landing; stuck. Loved it. Especially the final imagery with the bag of money / Nathan's clothing.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Landing; stuck. Loved it. Especially the final imagery with the bag of money / Nathan's clothing.

Yeah, there was some great/horrific imagery in the season finale.

Poor Lu having to fend for herself and witnessing some bad things.

The closing moments really cranked up the tension - Naomie Harris is a hell of an actor.

The shows are quite different, but I thought of The Leftovers some in just the way that people deal with unbearable grief in different ways.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I thought the finale was just okay? I guess I kind of pictured something crazier or more disturbing or something so I came away underwhelmed.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The finale was good, not great. Some good imagery shown, excellent acting as always, but I think a bit too much was left on the table, especially with regards to Jude Law's character and Waterston. The very final section was powerful though. I like the concept of leaving the supposed powers of the island up in the air, but I also think the show leaned slightly too hard into "tell, don't show" territory at many points. A bit too much exposition dumping; the show would likely be even more powerful if it showed some of the events it alluded to.

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, I thought the finale was just okay? I guess I kind of pictured something crazier or more disturbing or something so I came away underwhelmed.
Yeaa i thought so too but I guess they're trying to do the less is more approach with leaving the island:
It could be special or it just makes desperate people see what they want to see.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'd agree that the finale wasn't quite the descent into madness that I was hoping for, but I did enjoy it. I think the revelations about Nathan were interesting, and I'd be interested to go back and rewatch those first three episodes given what we now know about Sam, too. It just didn't really have the big bang I was expecting, and ended more or less rather quietly, which was a surprise.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
I had to have some space away from the 12 live stream and just had a final 3 episodes back to back session. Fucking awesome. I'm satisfied. Coming off the live event, it all felt more immersive, recognizing the locations of areas... What's next Dennis Kelly?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished and it was a ride. Summer was mostly dull but with enough interesting parts to keep watching, but those last 3 episodes were great.

guise

Jan 1, 2018
What a show.

The constant sense of unease, creepy lore, cinematography, performances, score. I loved it all.

Massively impressed by the live event. The 100min highlight video is definitively worth watching. It is very slow, but shows a bunch of strange island traditions and beautiful imagery; hard to believe it was all shot live. Also, I'm a sucker for steady-cam oners. And I have no idea how Jude Law didn't pass out while filming it.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
What a show.

The constant sense of unease, creepy lore, cinematography, performances, score. I loved it all.

Massively impressed by the live event. The 100min highlight video is definitively worth watching. It is very slow, but shows a bunch of strange island traditions and beautiful imagery; hard to believe it was all shot live. Also, I'm a sucker for steady-cam oners. And I have no idea how Jude Law didn't pass out while filming it.
Link

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up.

Fun show. Glad I watched. Ending was fine but I'm a little weirded out by Jess's character development. I guess a lot can happen in 9 months lol

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Fantastic.
Finally finished. I liked the first half but can get why people don't (lots of trippy scenes and editing choices to reflect it).

Autumn: I thought was a fun experiment particularly since they kept the dread going.

And the last half brought it all home. Particularly thar last episode, whew.

Folk horror has alot of expected tropes built in and while this didn't anything specifically new...the quality of the production and the basic bedrock of the drama that set it all off from the beginning, how having your child murdered is a psychic wound that never heals, made it hit hard. Kudos.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Finally caught up.

Fun show. Glad I watched. Ending was fine but I'm a little weirded out by Jess's character development. I guess a lot can happen in 9 months lol
Remember that the Jess we saw in the first half was a facade from the start. She was part of the cult trying to get Sam on side so that she could help make him stay.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I generally liked the series, but so much of the action in the finale was driven by a conflict that was never explained in the slightest. Like, you can definitely why Sam would not be good leading anything much less an island cult, but we're given no clue as to what his work as Father entailed, how he and Jess had contrasting approaches (or what those approaches even were in the first place), why the island was taking sides, why for that matter so much deference was being given to Jess at all, etc. I don't think the finale should've necessarily busied itself with unwinding all the mythology and unseen history -- and think it was smart to focus on what was most important, which was getting the fuck out of dodge, and let these island people fight among themselves. But it hurts the threat and urgency being presented in the finale when you have no idea why what's happening is happening. Sam's "darkness" was also, uh, maybe a little overstated! He and Jess killed roughly just as many people lol

Naomie Harris is so good.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I think there was some reference to Sam's ancestor being Jack the Ripper. So that's kind of just what he's going to be at the island from now on, the butcher of Osea.

I think she was in on it from the start, at least, having his child seems to have been planned.
Remember that the Jess we saw in the first half was a facade from the start. She was part of the cult trying to get Sam on side so that she could help make him stay.

I figured she was part of the plan but I got the impression she was coerced into participating. Though she did always seem genuinely fond of Osea, even more than a lot of the residents.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The entire live "episode" focuses on the ritual behind the dividing of the island and who comes out on top during it. There was resentment building the entire series. I wish they made that content more easily available (and edited to be more accessible).

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Without spoilers, what's the verdict on this? Not much discussion / buzz in here from the looks of it. But I'd forgotten about it so no doubt many others did too.