• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
Throne of Darkness, for PC. I found it in the bargain been as a child, played it in 2001 or 2002, no idea what I was doing and I had trouble making any progress for some reason. Later when I saw Diablo gameplay I realized this was a Diablo clone.

Throne_of_Darkness_cover.png

tod-end-1.png

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
How about an obscure, ancient Apple ][ game? Brought to you by the publishers of the original Castle Wolfenstein and the bewildering adaptation of BBC's cult show The Prisoner, I wonder if anyone else here actually played ... Firebug! The game was written by the author of the original Wolfenstein, too, for bonus relevance to the modern age.

112988-firebug-apple-ii-screenshot-title-screen.png

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Realmzintro.png

Realmz, a DnD-style game where you can assemble characters and play various scenarios. Was very cool because you can share characters across scenarios etc. Think it was the game that started my modding career back on Mac in like mid 90s, it came with an editor for making entire new campaigns, and I modded the art heavily.

realmz_2.png

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iif28XW.png

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System,
  • Tons of levels with good variety(stealth via hacking, vehicle, full-on assault), as well as maps both big and small
  • Interesting weapons
  • The ability to hack and play as enemies
  • Binary Domain-level ability to break apart enemies apart, and frankly a level above it IMO
  • Buddy AI in certain levels
  • A fun soundtrack
  • Humorous
  • Even had local multiplayer
  • Secret Unlockables for MP in the form of chips found in different areas throughout the Campaign levels
  • Was available on all the consoles at the time (PS2 ,GC, Xbox)
  • Challenging at times even on Normal
  • Memorable Merchants not unlike the RE4 Merchant!

There are dozens of us! Play this game!
Wild_9_Coverart.png

By most accounts it was a pretty average game but I didn't know any better as a kid. I liked the main mechanic (the Rig)of whacking people onto the floor and then quickly on the otherside. Or putting enemies into grinders. Must have seeded an early appreciation of 2.5D games. I have two more ps1 games that I never see anything about if I don't get a bite for this but I bet more people are likely to have played them.
You have my sword.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
220px-Danny_Phantom_-_Urban_Jungle_Coverart.png

A Danny Phantom game loosely based on the TV episode. It was a 2d shooter with Ikaruga mechanics and a neat boss rush mode with basically all the main villains from the show. Was one of my favorite games as a kid. I should track down a copy and see if it holds up.

Yo this game was hype!! I remember there being a couple good Danny Phantom games around that time

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
hqdefault.jpg

220px-Transbot-box.jpg

98% of this forum is too young to even know the Master System was reading cartridges AND carts!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

Still have both copies, waiting patiently to get a Series X to replay them since my OG Xbox died on me like 15 years ago!

Played this on a old modded ps1.

Played this one too, but I think it was an incomplete version, there wasn't any music.

E.X Troopers for PS3, my first ever import. It's a Japanese only spin-off of Lost Planet. Also on 3DS.
R.82eabfb3552a37dede2d4d2f85ad6872

The game was a massive bomb from what I read. I don't remember how I first heard about it.

Played the demo from the Jp PS3 PSN at the time, as it never released here in France. Sad because it was fun and looked cool! Cel shading forever!

Wild_9_Coverart.png

By most accounts it was a pretty average game but I didn't know any better as a kid. I liked the main mechanic (the Rig)of whacking people onto the floor and then quickly on the otherside. Or putting enemies into grinders. Must have seeded an early appreciation of 2.5D games. I have two more ps1 games that I never see anything about if I don't get a bite for this but I bet more people are likely to have played them.

Once again, I only played the demo, don't know if that count, but I still remember the music and enemie voices to this day!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Very fun games, co-op horror action fun. It's a series I'd love to see again, or at least something similar. For those who enjoyed his other soundtracks, Olivier Deriviere (Alone in the Dark, Vampyr, Greedfall, A Plague Tale) started his videogame composing career here! I remember visiting his site in the mid-00s in my IT class and just listening to them completely entranced.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Realmzintro.png

Realmz, a DnD-style game where you can assemble characters and play various scenarios. Was very cool because you can share characters across scenarios etc. Think it was the game that started my modding career back on Mac in like mid 90s, it came with an editor for making entire new campaigns, and I modded the art heavily.

realmz_2.png
Oh my god I've been trying to remember anything about this game for decades! I had a little shareware/demo version that I was absolutely fixated on when I was a kid. What a cool fucking game!

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xenon 1(and 2)
Xenon_Amiga_Cover_art.jpg

Also played a lot of BBS games that are probably pretty obscure nowadays + I think this forum is way younger than me overall. Things like The Pit, Super Rig, Murder Motel, etc.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Where are my Brigandine peeps, at?

x720

hqdefault.jpg

220px-Transbot-box.jpg

98% of this forum is too young to even know the Master System was reading cartridges AND carts!
It isn't an age thing, most countries in the world just didn't care about the Master System. Don't worry, I am a TG-16 fan, so I understand your pain.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This is a tough topic, I have not played A LOT of these. I have a couple of my own, but my first one I'll say is Ribbit King, a funky little golf game that was pretty fun.

RibbitKing.jpg

I played the demo, does that count?
oh god the memories! i remember wanting to play this so bad only to be lost the minute i booted it up haha

i love this game, bring it back namco lol

the game ive never heard anyone play but it was a good strategy-game on console was:
Ring_of_Red_art_box.jpg
ring of red is such a cool little game. really wish we had some sequels to expand on some of the ideas they had
I played this one! It was one of the PS2 games on PS3, I didn't get very far in it though.

220px-Cookiecreamps2.PNG

One of my all time favourites growing up

Same with this one. Gah, the PS2 classic library on PS3 was so good. Bring it back Sony.
Holy crap, there are a lot of games I've never heard of in here.

This is absolutely going to reveal my age and where I'm from, but here's mine. I wish I owned a copy of it - we played it in school way back in the day.

Where In North Dakota is Carmen Sandiego?

iu

Actual boxart, I guess:

retail_box-front-back.png
Ayy, fellow (ex) North Dakotan here, I've played this one! It was the only one of the planned state expansions for CS that actually released.

Dec 4, 2018
When I think "obscure games I actually enjoyed," I usually default to Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, a Nintendo DS game that reeeeally wanted to be Chrono Trigger and had a mindboggling encounter rate and some really nasty bugs. Yet I still thought it was really solid otherwise.
373377-black-sigil-blade-of-the-exiled-nintendo-ds-screenshot-and.png
I played this one and had a real love/hate relationship with it partly due to that high encounter rate. I did manage to finish it though!

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Iif28XW.png

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System,
  • Tons of levels with good variety(stealth via hacking, vehicle, full-on assault), as well as maps both big and small
  • Interesting weapons
  • The ability to hack and play as enemies
  • Binary Domain-level ability to break apart enemies apart, and frankly a level above it IMO
  • Buddy AI in certain levels
  • A fun soundtrack
  • Humorous
  • Even had local multiplayer
  • Secret Unlockables for MP in the form of chips found in different areas throughout the Campaign levels
  • Was available on all the consoles at the time (PS2 ,GC, Xbox)
  • Challenging at times even on Normal
  • Memorable Merchants not unlike the RE4 Merchant!

There are dozens of us! Play this game!

You have my sword.
This is weird. I just ripped my GameCube copy the other day to play on PC at higher resolution. Played it a ton back when it came out.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ball Breakers on PS1. I took a chance on it and actually really enjoyed it. I promise it doesn't hold up though.

my friend growing up had this game, I remember being impressed by the picking up enemies/putting them into grinders lol. As a dumb kid the edgyness/gross out factor was cool I guess.

718494HXH1L.gif

FMV adventure/myst style game. I could never figure out what to do or how to progress.

Played Ball Breakers as MoHo in the UK, but these are all I've played. Well, I can't remember if my computer could run Obscure lol, but I definitely own(ed) it and made an attempt to install it. Or maybe I played a bit and it was just very forgettable.

Valhalla: Before the War
Valhallabtw.jpg

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Aet8AuCl.jpg
0HoCwX0.jpg

Only reason it was on the radar at all was that it was made with Bungie's Marathon engine.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

220px-Transbot-box.jpg

Xenon 1(and 2)
Xenon_Amiga_Cover_art.jpg

Also played a lot of BBS games that are probably pretty obscure nowadays + I think this forum is way younger than me overall. Things like The Pit, Super Rig, Murder Motel, etc.

Transbot was literally the first game I got for my SMS, along with The Ninja. I had to have it because of the blatant AT-ST rip-off from Star Wars. LOL

Had Xenon on PC. I don't think it supported whatever soundcard I had at the time, so I had to play it without any audio. Graphics were nice though!

Golvellius is a bit strange to play these days, but I loved it back in the day; I think I played it around the same time as Kenseiden, another SMS favorite of mine. Title screen music and that overworld theme are A+.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I love all things RTS and this game was no exception. Played the shit out of this back in the day.

SO0Ujty.png

'Jan Pienkowski'a Haunted House', a point and click game for PC based on a book.

Full play through here. I loved this game as a kid, so much fun.

Think i've played something like this but on consoles.

Tom_and_Jerry_in_Fists_of_Furry_N64_box_cover.jpg

I really don't know anyone else who played this but this game was an absolute blast lmao. It was a party brawler with crazy stage mechanics and a surprising amount of destructible stuff on the maps.

Yeah I enjoyed this game back in the day. Generally licensed games were a lot better back then.

hqdefault.jpg

220px-Transbot-box.jpg

I loved my master system back in the day and this was one of my favourite games. A lot of memories right there.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The 1997 Criterion Game "Sub Culture" of which I have little recollection besides surprisingly clear memories of the cover art and certain gameplay segments

242006-sub-culture-windows-front-cover.jpg

sub-culture_5.jpg

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Jewel Master
Sega Genesis

The game is basically an old-school Castlevania game (very linear). The soundtrack kicks a lot of ass and I don't know why that game was in my house (I mean, one of my brothers must have bought it or my mom got it as a gift) but that game became my childhood.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Jewel Master
Sega Genesis

The game is basically an old-school Castlevania game (very linear). The soundtrack kicks a lot of ass and I don't know why that game was in my house (I mean, one of my brothers must have bought it or my mom got it as a gift) but that game became my childhood.

I enjoyed this game as well though my strongest memory of the game is actually the cover.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
My choice would be the Aeon Flux film adaptation game for PS2/Xbox. I have to assume not many people played it. The film bombed, of course. I guess the free movie vouchers that came with the game didn't help as the used copy I bought last year still had them in it.

Aeonfluxgame.jpg

E.X Troopers for PS3, my first ever import. It's a Japanese only spin-off of Lost Planet. Also on 3DS.
R.82eabfb3552a37dede2d4d2f85ad6872

The game was a massive bomb from what I read. I don't remember how I first heard about it.

This is a tough topic, I have not played A LOT of these. I have a couple of my own, but my first one I'll say is Ribbit King, a funky little golf game that was pretty fun.

RibbitKing.jpg

s-l640.jpg

I played this shitty licensed game when I was a kid.
Played all of these. Ribbit King is legit as hell and I'd love to see it return. It's by far the best golf or golf-adjacent game I've ever played.

And god damn it, EX Troopers deserved better.

My contribution is this strategy(?) game on PS1. I don't remember much about it except that it had some funky voice acting.

DzbbXlO.jpg

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
250px-Lost-Eden.jpg

Old PC game with adventure-style gameplay, some strategy elements, CGI-environments (which were in vogue at the time), and dinosaurs.
This one is usually my go to for threads like this. Glad to see it here, got it for 1 dollar in a bargain bin at a comp usa back in the day.

rented this one from he local video rental place in the early ps2 days because it had anime art on the cover. If I recall correctly it was pretty early in the ps2s life cycle when there weren't a lot of games. Needless to say it didn't really click with me.

my uncle had this game. I don't think I ever played it but I remember staring at the box art at his place

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I can name like half-dozen Russian PC games from the 90s that no one's ever heard of, but that would be cheating.

So instead I present you:

www.mobygames.com

D.O.G: Fight For Your Life (1997) - MobyGames

D.O.G. is a third-person shooter with vehicles and turrets to use. The game doesn't have a story, you just select a mission that you can afford (you get money from completing missions), kill everyone/everything in it and continue to the next mission....

And also, the best shareware game I've ever played

www.mobygames.com

Solar Winds: The Escape (1993) - MobyGames

Solar Winds: The Escape is a space saga. You are Jake Stone, a mercenary for hire. Go around the galaxy, make money, destroy ships, smuggle cargo, upgrade your ship and uncover a sinister plot.