• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Any games like Return to Obra Dinn?

Detective Grimoire and Tangle Tower have a bit of that Clue-like "X did Y with a Z" stuff in it. But it's not the core conceit like in Obra Dinn. In terms of similarity of mindset and approach, I would recommend The Witness. No handholding, you're expected to figure out how to achieve your goal purely through visual investigation and attention to detail, the world is completely open for the player to explore and start from different points, interpretive and deductive skills are expected. There's a lot of overlap even though The Witness is more explicitly a 'puzzle' game.

My girlfriend just beat and loved A Short Hike, which makes sense considering she really loves AC and BOTW. Outside of the games mentioned, she's really only ever been into the Sims series. Any recommendations that might suit someone with those tastes? Thanks!

Kind of jokey answer: Proteus.
Less jokey answer: Spiritfarer, Summer in Mara (when the full thing comes out)

Recently played through and thoroughly enjoyed Eliza with my friend. She liked that it told a compelling story with interesting and relevant subject matter, that we were able to make choices that affected the story/progression (even if in small ways), that it didn't require any "video gamey" skills, and that it wasn't super long. Would love to find other games in this mold.

(I realize the obvious answer would be "Play other VNs!", but if there's anything in particular that scratches this same itch, I'm all ears. We did start The Wolf Among Us, but while intriguing, the QTEs meant I had to handle the controls the whole time since she has no comfort/familiarity with modern video games. Ideally she'd be able to take more ownership of things.)

A bit out of left field, but I think you could try Firewatch. It has no QTEs or complex inputs or anything like that. All you really do is control the character to walk and pick replies to stuff. Very human story and it's super to the point. Just a handful of hours.

Shit. Sorry for quoting without a real answer but I was just going to ask the same, lol.

Have you seen Cross Code? It's really not the same but you may like it. I've only played the prologue/tutorial some time ago and it's more rpg and maybe more twin stick shooter but there's exploration and adventure and evading too in an isometric view. I have to play it soon although I don't expect a HLD like experience really.

I think I can see what you mean. Not exactly HLD but it has some abstracted similarities. Last I looked at CrossCode, it didn't seem like it'd be my kind of thing but maybe I should reconsider.

Last edited:

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of jokey answer: Proteus.
Less jokey answer: Spiritfarer, Summer in Mara (when the full thing comes out)

Thanks! Been looking closely at Spiritfarer but waiting for a sale (which I realize could be a while). Windbound (after some patches) and The Last Campfire might do the trick as well. Will take a closer look at Summer in Mara, I seem to recall hearing mixed things about the Switch version.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Ok real talk, I love the 3D Mario series, but have heard mixed things about 'A Hat in Time'. Is it actually any good?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Been looking closely at Spiritfarer but waiting for a sale (which I realize could be a while). Windbound (after some patches) and The Last Campfire might do the trick as well. Will take a closer look at Summer in Mara, I seem to recall hearing mixed things about the Switch version.

Huh. I didn't know the full thing came out. I had kept on eye on it when that prologue released but missed it somehow. Yeah, it seems like the final game has its quirks/issues. Maybe not then.

Spiritfarer is also on Xbox and PC Game Pass, if you have that. I think you can probably find a code or offer for PC Game Pass for $1 out there if you're not subbed yet, and I think the game should run on just about any computer.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Recently played through and thoroughly enjoyed Eliza with my friend. She liked that it told a compelling story with interesting and relevant subject matter, that we were able to make choices that affected the story/progression (even if in small ways), that it didn't require any "video gamey" skills, and that it wasn't super long. Would love to find other games in this mold.

(I realize the obvious answer would be "Play other VNs!", but if there's anything in particular that scratches this same itch, I'm all ears. We did start The Wolf Among Us, but while intriguing, the QTEs meant I had to handle the controls the whole time since she has no comfort/familiarity with modern video games. Ideally she'd be able to take more ownership of things.)

I love this kind of game.

Emily is Away
Bury Me, My Love
Steins;Gate
The House in Fata Morgana
Higurashi/Umineko When They Cry (super long though)
Ace Attorney (the only gameplay is finding/presenting the right evidence)
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (you mix drinks between the dialogues, but no time limit or anything)

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Fez!

A charming game with tantalizing secrets and riddles, as well as a nice soundtrack

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fez!

A charming game with tantalizing secrets and riddles, as well as a nice soundtrack

I know I mentioned it earlier on this page, but I will say The Witness again. It hits almost all the same notes, aside from it not really having a soundtrack at all. I don't know of any other game that evokes the same sense of curiosity and wonder as FEZ though (and The Witness got about 90% there for me). That was a really special thing. I'd love to find another game that captures that.

In terms of non-genre-related and audiovisual similarities, Hyper Light Drifter has surprisingly many things in common with FEZ (including having its soundtrack composed by Disasterpeace), although not executed quite as cohesively and well, probably. The gameplay (action adventure, heavy on the action) is ace though so it compensates there.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to try a game that feels me with the same happiness/coziness that Stardew Valley gives off - especially if it's sprite based. I really like that style. Also before an Animal Crossing suggestions: I think it's kind of boring.
Graveyard Keeper? Not exactly cozy, but it's a sprite based take on Stardew Valley kinda.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im looking for something similar to Sunless Sea/Skies, in term of lore (not necessary gameplay)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Resonance of Fate?
Hitman?

Hitman is a bit of a sui generis thing. Not a lot like it out there that I've seen. The old Assassin's Creed 2 multiplayer had a bit of Hitman flavor. Dishonored is similar in some ways with how 'open plan' the gameplay in its sandbox is, its focus on player agency, having very meticulously designed and spacious levels, and of course the stealth aspect. Hitman has relatively rigid verbs with lots of interaction points and routines. In Dishonored, the actions you perform have more dynamic effects, interactions between different systems are more fluid and less flowchart-like. It has fewer explicit cause-effect interactions like completion conditions, but there are many ways to go about the same goal just like in Hitman. The new Prey is of a similar mold.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
I need more games like generation zero and fallout 76 before NPCs were added. Scratches that itch of going on an adventure, discovering story beats through the environment or other means.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Im looking for something similar to Sunless Sea/Skies, in term of lore (not necessary gameplay)
I'd love more stuff with as weirdly fascinating lore as the Fallen London universe, but I think it's pretty unique in that respect.

Cultist Simulator comes closest, probably. The gameplay is pretty divisive though, and the creator was outed as manipulative and predatory, iirc.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Any games like Return to Obra Dinn?

The Sex Brutale

It's not very similar in gameplay, but it got the time travel stuff combined with murder mystery going on too.

It's isometric in perspective and the gameplay and solving of the mysteries is different.

Oh and don't worry about the name, no idea why they named the place like this.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Is there anything like Advance Wars? I've already played Wargroove (good gameplay, annoying story and charatcters) and after playing it my need for more Advanced Wars is stronger than ever.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love more stuff with as weirdly fascinating lore as the Fallen London universe, but I think it's pretty unique in that respect.

Cultist Simulator comes closest, probably. The gameplay is pretty divisive though, and the creator was outed as manipulative and predatory, iirc.
oh cool! I heard a lot about it but never really look into it

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for games that have different genres mixed in(ex.ActRaiser, Henry Hatsworth)
Sigma Star Saga (GBA)
Knights in Nightmare (DS and PSP)
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Reccetear/Atelier series/Moonlighter
Brutal Legend
Sakura Wars series
Battle Chef Brigade (my personal recommendation)
Yoku's Island Express
Guilty Gear 2 Overture
SuperMash
Pyre (my other personal recommendation)
Final Lap Twin (Turbo Grafx-16)

there's honestly way too many to list, specially with all the sim/x or tactics/x or VN/x mash ups since the dawn of time.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Finished Disco Elysium, need recommendations. Large hole after finishing that game, felt like the end of a really really good book.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Is there anything else like Her Story/Telling Lies? I feel like Contradiction seemed a little similar but I'm wondering if there's anything else.
There is a german Game called Jessika, i think it has an english dub. I found out about this game from a german podcast. He said he really wanted to like this Game, because it was made by students and deals with a heavy subject matter but it seems to be several leagues under Her Story/Telling Lies. It has a free Demo that you can try out to see if you like it.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing as I've played all the Sly, Jak and Rachet games, as well as Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil, what are other games in that vein, (story 3D platformers, with a Avatar The Last Airbender level of not being 'kiddy' but not being try hard, or vapid)?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as I've played all the Sly, Jak and Rachet games, as well as Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil, what are other games in that vein, (story 3D platformers, with a Avatar The Last Airbender level of not being 'kiddy' but not being try hard, or vapid)?

Have you tried the Prince of Persia games?

Highly recommend Sands of Time and PoP 2008.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Was gonna ask for the same. Most of the modern 3D platformers are either too kiddy or have very little story at all. I'd like something as good as the games you mentioned as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything else like Her Story/Telling Lies? I feel like Contradiction seemed a little similar but I'm wondering if there's anything else.

Check out the releases from Wales Interactive. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for (I've only played Her Story) but they seem to be FMV choice-adventures. I remember two called The Bunker and Late Shift.

Also, Erica (PS4) seems to be along similar lines as well.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Anything that does the OP power fantasy better than the original Dishonored

—Saints Row 4 basically makes you feel like God.
—Crackdown 3 also gave me these same vibes.
—Infamous 1+2
—Skyrim after 50 hours
—Kingdoms of Amalur
—Diablo 3
—Dragon's Dogma

Best I can think of that I have played.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
What would fans of the Etrian Odyssey series recommend?

It's the only dungeon crawling series I've played and I really loved it, so I figure there might be more in the genre I like. I think what drew me to Etrian Odyssey specifically is its chill vibe and not being too punishing. I've been turned off from other games in the genre that look too dark/scary/stressful for me.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mad TV: Run a TV station, with licensed films and ads, too! (Amiga)

Mad_TV_(DOS)_24.gif

1631052-picture_2.png

There was a sequel. Mad TV 2 but its a German only release ... unless somebody has found a translation??

madtv2.png

mad-tv-2_5.png

pixelplant

Jun 18, 2019
Mad TV: Run a TV station, with licensed films and ads, too! (Amiga)

Mad_TV_(DOS)_24.gif

1631052-picture_2.png

There was a sequel. Mad TV 2 but its a German only release ... unless somebody has found a translation??

madtv2.png

mad-tv-2_5.png

Speaking of "German only releases": I had this game as a kid:

154055-hurra-deutschland-dos-other.jpg

I'm pretty sure, I've not played anything like this again and only my younger self would call this "a great game".

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Been curious about cvs card fighter for ds havingnany games similar to it.

Specificly cvs card fighters had a mana system with colored mana and NO mana cards. At round start you sacrifice cards for their mana value to have mana to play other things in your hand.

This meant some cards that were cheap and weak as attackers or defenders may have a huge mana value of 4 of a particular color or something. Plus say you needed a blocker. You can just use a card you were gonna sack for mana anyway to block most times because heavy mana makers generally didn't cost much or even have a particular mana color requirement.

Its how I essentially wish magic the gathering played. I think mana sysyems if done right like this add a new fun element to play. I enjoy the systems like hearthstone, lor, and shadowverse too but im specifically looking for a system like cvs card fighters mana not just to replace magic the gatherings mana in a card game.