• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I posted in the Smash DLC thread talking about wanting an alternative to Persona and someone suggested that I revist Yakuza 0 because it had some things going on conceptually. *No one cares if that particular suggestion is a good one! That isn't what this thread is about!*That was a great suggestion because it really helped scratch that itch and that's why i've created this thread so go ahead and ask the following questions with respects to a game or series you like in hopes of finding some nice alternatives.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I posted in the Smash DLC thread talking about wanting an alternative to Persona and someone suggested that I revist Yakuza 0 because it had some things going on conceptually. *No one cares if that particular suggestion is a good one! That isn't what this thread is about!*That was a great suggestion because it really helped scratch that itch and that's why i've created this thread so go ahead and ask the following questions with respects to a game or series you like in hopes of finding some nice alternatives.
I can't honestly see the similarities between Yakuza 0 and Persona, but hey, as long as more people play Yakuza, I am happy!

As for me; there was this little game on Wii called "Final Fantasy: My Life as a King" and I have always wondered it there was something similar to it (aside from it's sequel)?

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Any recommendation for a beat them up at least half as good as Streets of Rage 4?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I sound like a crazy person when I say it, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has been this game for me for over a decade.

Yes I know there are a million sequels and an entire genre. None of those games have the je ne sais quoi of SotN. It's way more than gameplay mechanics + gothic vibe. Wonder Labyrinth finally looks like it might be the real deal, but I've been hurt before.

Less controversially I'd love to find a game that is similar to Gain Ground. It's like an RTS stripped to the metal, and I love it.

OP
OP
Maximum Spider

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I sound like a crazy person when I say it, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has been this game for me for over a decade.

Yes I know there are a million sequels and an entire genre. None of those games have the je ne sais quoi of SotN. It's way more than gameplay mechanics + gothic vibe. Wonder Labyrinth finally looks like it might be the real deal, but I've been hurt before.

Less controversially I'd love to find a game that is similar to Gain Ground. It's like an RTS stripped to the metal, and I love it.
I love Gain Ground and how it seamlessly just mashes together a bunch of random characters types and aesthetics and still works. I can't think of any other games that's able to do that besides Smash Bros. Playing Gain Ground feels like when I was a kid playing with a bunch of my favorite action figures from various different properties.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I love Gain Ground and how it seamlessly just mashes together a bunch of random characters types and aesthetics and still works. I can't think of any other games that's able to do that besides Smash Bros. Playing Gain Ground feels like when I was a kid playing with a bunch of my favorite action figures from various different properties.
"Let's just use placeholder assets until we figure out an actual theme."
*gameplay is mostly done*
"Oh wait this totally works as is. Ship it!"

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I could get down with more survival type games in the likes of Disaster Report.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Anything like In Other Waters? I've played Subnautica and Sunless Seas already.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Is there anything else like Her Story/Telling Lies? I feel like Contradiction seemed a little similar but I'm wondering if there's anything else.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Odin Sphere/Dragon's Crown/Muramasa
Princess Crown made by Vanillaware but released only in japan for saturn and psp. But their is a fan translation for the psp version out there.

Check also Grand Knights History from the same people with fan translation for psp. Some members of team left Vanillaware and developped a spiritual succssor called Grand Kingdom. This one was released outside of Japan for vita.

Last edited:

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Anything like glass masquerade Series on either consoles or pc? I don't want a generic jigsaw game, but something with the feel that Glass Masquerade has, if that makes sense. Chill, pretty, good for audiobooks and podcasts.

Oct 27, 2017
Anything else like persona 5 on current gen? Not so much the dungeon crawling but lore the everyday life and social link stuff

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I could get down with more survival type games in the likes of Disaster Report.
I don't think the games play similarly, but thematically Disaster: Day of Crisis is very similar I'm sure. It's rough around the edges with a lot of ideas jammed between decidedly mediocre light gun sections between, but it's actually a lot of fun to upgrade your weapons, the variety is wacky goodness, you eat hamburgers bigger than your head, there's a fire tornado, you fight a bear, the music is fantastic, and it all happens in one hell of a day.

I wish Monolithsoft had made another one T_T

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I haven't played it but I still think the existence of SEGAGAGA is amazing and I enjoy reading about it. Archipel's two-part Dreamcast documentary on YouTube includes an interview with the director of the game that's great btw:

But I'm curious to see if there's any other game quite like it. Closest there seems to be is Namco x Capcom but I don't know much about it and wonder if it's as self-referential or comedic as SEGAGAGA.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how hard I tried I have never found a game like Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

the themes, the realms, the leveling, the music, etc

seven sorrows and the newest could not compare

is there anything like Legends/Dark legacy out there?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Anything else like persona 5 on current gen? Not so much the dungeon crawling but lore the everyday life and social link stuff
I'm gonna recommend Trails of Cold Steel as well. The first 2 were Vita games later ported to PS4/PC so they don't look as great as something like Persona 5 but the same gameplay loop is there. You go through a calendar system while choosing what activities to do, who to hang out with, etc.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Any good choice/story-based games a la The Walking Dead or Life is Strange? (I've already played all the Telltale Games and all the games in the Life is Strange franchise.)

Edit: I've also played all the Quantic Dreams games.

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
What other games have similar sense of soaring/falling as Gravity Rush series does? If it has a "kid moving out on their own/slice-of-life" feel that would be cool too.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure there's gonna be a match, but worth a shot:

Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour
- Board-game like map for the campaign
- Tons of activities to do between main "missions"
- Tons of unlockables
- Could be a sport or not

What other games have similar sense of soaring/falling as Gravity Rush series does? If it has a "kid moving out on their own/slice-of-life" feel that would be cool too.
I don't have an answer, but the more Gravity Rush love the better!

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Since Cold Steel was already mentioned, Tokyo Mirage is another good one. Doesn't necessarily have the same kind of social link building, but it has a less complex system that shows character growth over time.
Also made by the Persona team, so it's likely that'll feel similar.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Anything similar to Control in terms of having kind of "out there" worlds and art direction?

Have you been keeping up with Tell Me Why?
Yes, I have! Been loving it so far. Especially the shorter release dates. I'm a HUGE Dontnod fan. Life is Strange 2 is probably my GOTG.

As for your question, look into Alan Wake or Quantum Break!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Any good choice/story-based games a la The Walking Dead or Life is Strange? (I've already played all the Telltale Games and all the games in the Life is Strange franchise.)

Edit: I've also played all the Quantic Dreams games.

Some choice-based games I like: Zero Escape series, Bury Me My Love, Man of Medan, Disco Elysium. People love Steins;Gate but I haven't played yet.

They aren't exactly like Dontnod/Telltale games, but you've played all of these lol

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Yes, I have! Been loving it so far. Especially the shorter release dates. I'm a HUGE Dontnod fan. Life is Strange 2 is probably my GOTG.

As for your question, look into Alan Wake or Quantum Break!

Thanks! but I've also played those as well lol. Remedy's probably my favorite developers. Kind of hard to find games similar to their catalog I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendation for a beat them up at least half as good as Streets of Rage 4?
Sengoku 3
Battle Circuit
Aces Wild

Which Shadowrun tho'? The Harebrained ones, SNES, Genesis? The 360 one?

Maybe the Wii version of Rodea? Haven't played it.

Not sure there's gonna be a match, but worth a shot:

Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour
- Board-game like map for the campaign
- Tons of activities to do between main "missions"
- Tons of unlockables
- Could be a sport or not
Japanese versions of Rival Schools ):
Also, the PSP Dissidia games, kinda? I remember one of the Wipeout PSP games having a board-ish progression, though it doesn't really fit the rest of the criteria. Both Hand of Fate titles may also kiiinda

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an answer, but the more Gravity Rush love the better!
Sengoku 3
Battle Circuit
Aces Wild

Which Shadowrun tho'? The Harebrained ones, SNES, Genesis? The 360 one?

Maybe the Wii version of Rodea? Haven't played it.

Japanese versions of Rival Schools ):
Also, the PSP Dissidia games, kinda? I remember one of the Wipeout PSP games having a board-ish progression, though it doesn't really fit the rest of the criteria. Both Hand of Fate titles may also kiiinda
Hand of fate is amazing! Love the hell out of those games.

I'll have to look at everything else you recommended. Thanks!

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe River City Girls? I've not played it but know folk who liked it a lot.
The punisher arcade version, not the genesis version. I've heard good things about Fight and Rage but have yet to play it.
Streets of Rage 1-3
Final Fight
Turtles in Time
Scott Pilgrim vs the World (In case you can get it somehow)
The TakeOver (haven't played it but a lot of people think it is a good game)
Sengoku 3
Battle Circuit
Aces Wild
Thanks guys