• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I really enjoyed the game. Put a lot of hours into the online portion of WKC2. Certainly wasn't a mind blowing experience, but I'd love another entry on modern consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I actually prefer the look of the final game. The tearing and performance are atrocious, though.

Played both games for the first time last year, and I honestly really really liked them. Level 5 is great.

I should play Rogue Galaxy some day, I do own it on PS4.

Oct 31, 2017
Not too different from what FFXIII did, pasted combat UI over what ended up being a cut-scene in the actual game.

I don't remember being able to knock someone and make it so that they hit the ceiling (lol) but the final game looks pretty close to this.

I legit never knew there was a PSP entry, weird.

Likely because it's JP/EU only for some reason.

I guess the US branch probably lost all interest in WKC after those PS3 sales.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
so I've never actually played the 2 PS3 games .... are they worth hooking my PS3 back again in 2020 ?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I legit never knew there was a PSP entry, weird.

Based on the wikipedia page, its a prequel set thousands of years before and probably has little to do with the 2 PS3 games:

I wouldn't bother. They really don't have much of anything worth writing home about. Even the cool mecha-knights are pretty disappointing in practice.

Thanks for the heads up. There's a few PS3 RPG's I never got a chance to play back in the day. The 2 WKC games and Folklore are some prime examples.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The combat and online stuff was actually kinda neat in WNC. It just didn't cohere into something that felt compelling overall? Boring characters, repetitive world to run around in...

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
No idea why I was so seething overly excited for this game, haha. Controversial opinion though, but I do feel like we lost something when we left the overly ambitious blue-sky bullshot phase. It's nice to see what could be possible in the future and I'd say FFXV pretty much captured the feeling of that trailer.

It would be kind of cool to have a presentation or something once a year, called "Far future of gaming" where they fund some compelling bullshots of what games in the future might be like.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. There's a few PS3 RPG's I never got a chance to play back in the day. The 2 WKC games and Folklore are some prime examples.

I legit love Folklore, as overlooked as it was due to its way-too-early launch. If that game came out after the JRPG fandom came back to Playstation in the wake of FFXIII's launch I think it could've had a different future, but unfortunately it came out at a time where NOBODY was buying PS3s and even fewer people were buying games for the silly thing. By the time the PS3's future was corrected I'm pretty sure the developer was already on its last legs.

It's mashy and a bit repetitive, but the art style is gorgeous and the theming is lovely. It's also one of the only Sixaxis implementations that I think improved a game instead of harming it.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember my friend and I being so excited for this. I was moving when it released so I forgot to pick it up and then having my friend tell me it wasn't good. So disappointing.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It's not even like the game got downgraded, or that they couldn't match the "target renders." That footage was just conceptualizing an entirely different game.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I played a little bit but barely remember much. I do remember looking at the trophy list and seeing that it would take literally hundreds of hours and said nope.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A reminder that an improved version of the first one is included with all WKC2 copies.

I only played the first one though and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're the curious type !

yoo .. what .. that's crazy..

The only other example I can think of a game doing that is Dissidia 2 on PSP including the full first game.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Oh man do I remember that trailer. My hype was through the roof.

I, like many others here, found the final project to be disappointing. However, I didn't abhor it like so many do. I rather enjoy grinding in games (it's therapeutic, don't @ me) and I seem to recall there being a whole bunch of that required if you wanted to gain guild ranks.

I can still remember that exploration music from the first forest area you run around in. For better or worse, it's stuck with me all these years later.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would it be awesome if they remade it but fix the slow combat, the janky animations, etc? It seems to have potential.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God, I remember being incredibly excited/hyped when this trailer came out. I used to watch it all the time & it was one of the main reasons I was hyped for the PS3. Then the game actually came out & I remember reading all the reviews, seeing final game footage, etc. and being INCREDIBLY disappointed in what it ended up being. The game's biggest fault for was going with the whole "silent protagonist" angle for the main character, which is pretty much my #1 pet peeve that I can't stand in JRPGs.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forgettable game with fun (but ridiculously grindy) multiplayer and an actual great OST.

The 2006 trailer looked off the charts and still hasn't been topped by a JRPG. Its the same bullshit Sony pulled with Motorstorm etc. They just tried to let us not buy 360's but wait instead.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how they managed to make a game set in a world of Escaflowne-styled knight robots boring but they did.

tumblr_nvx9zdm2TV1rdfsmyo1_400.gifv

I love you for mentioning Escaflowne

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
My favorite thing about WKC is how it forces you to make an OC, that is so irrelevant, they sometimes forget to put it into the crowd shots during in-engine cutscenes, even they it should be there.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen that trailer before, but the final product's not even CLOSE to that lmao

I don't miss this series at all tbh. I didn't even know about the hype, I just bought it on a whim and was just... whelmed by the game. It honestly feels like the early Sony and Level 5 collabs were the best ones, and they just got worse over time. The only thing that feels undeserved about the game's reception is the soundtrack. All of the WKC games, even the PSP one, have really underrated music.

Oh, and WKC also had the best designed version of Osmond, and it's low key a bummer that Level 5 haven't had a chance to sneak him into more Sony JRPG's

(Seriously, this guy's been my favourite since Dark Cloud 1, and I would be hype if he got into another JRPG collab)

I still own this game for some reason... Was the sequel any better ?

No. I don't remember any changes (bad OR good) to the gameplay in WKC2. As for the story, it really, really feels like "White Knight Chronicles 2" was actually, originally the third act of White Knight Chronicles 1 that they decided to chop off and stretch out over a full game's length. Seriously, there is so much padding in this game (the game goes as far as coming up with this stupid, awful time travel subplot that's basically an excuse to redo the prologue of WKC1 again) , and so little new content until you get to the final act (there are like two completely new areas and then the rest is all just areas from WKC1 again) that it really feels like they stretched out WKC1's third act into a full game.

The only noteworthy thing about the sequel is that it gets decently difficult towards the end. Still wouldn't recommend playing it though

I should play Rogue Galaxy some day, I do own it on PS4.

I'm playing through Rogue Galaxy now, and it's weird, RG feels like this missing link between the Dark Cloud and White Knight Chronicles series

They're not exactly the same (it's more like "we used the Dark Cloud engine to make a JRPG") but you can still see some WKC DNA in parts of the game (like with how the save system and NPC's are handled).

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when early word on the game went to shit and the game was ass I couldn't believe it.

shame

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That definitely was not playable. But still, the presentation was nice and could be done.

Oct 31, 2017
No. I don't remember any changes (bad OR good) to the gameplay in WKC2. As for the story, it really, really feels like "White Knight Chronicles 2" was actually, originally the third act of White Knight Chronicles 1 that they decided to chop off and stretch out over a full game's length. Seriously, there is so much padding in this game (the game goes as far as coming up with this stupid, awful time travel subplot that's basically an excuse to redo the prologue of WKC1 again) , and so little new content until you get to the final act (there are like two completely new areas and then the rest is all just areas from WKC1 again) that it really feels like they stretched out WKC1's third act into a full game.

The only noteworthy thing about the sequel is that it gets decently difficult towards the end. Still wouldn't recommend playing it though

Yeah, I remember some of the complaints about the padding but never finished the first one (stopped playing at the very end) so... :P

The game's biggest fault for was going with the whole "silent protagonist" angle for the main character, which is pretty much my #1 pet peeve that I can't stand in JRPGs.

Aren't you talking about that online avatar ? I don't remember the MC being silent in this game.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Only JPRG i started and never finished.
The game was a borefest of epic proportions.
Spent 40 hours and then said fuck it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Even when it came out I remember so many people disregarding reality and saying this game was good

what a turd

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
The fog and mirrors of the early trailers was definitely nuts. That said WKC2 with 1 "Remastered" are some of my favorite games of the last few gens. I appreciated to fasterish gameplay the remaster and sequel gave over the original. I think what really struck a chord with me is that the story covers a lot of Sentai/mecha anime tropes which really rustled my jimmies at the time.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I really dug WKC1 when it came out, but it's a game that I could never finish today. No patience for its brand of winding dungeon design. By the time WKC2 came out I had played too much of the WKC1 online and single player to ever want to touch the game again.

Also, going from Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 2 and Dragon Quest VIII to the released WKC doesn't feel like a graphical upgrade to me. Those games look great, WKC, not so much.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I always thought devs over estimated what PS3/360 could do at first, the specs in PS3 seem a lot stronger than the visuals we actually got, i think 512mb's of non unified ram & last minute underclock of the GPU was a big bottleneck.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Some folks are mentioning FFXIII in terms of visuals etc but the reality is that XIII was still one helluva looker when it actually came out, even if it never matched the trailers from earlier.

White Knight misses the target so much that it's some fucking shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

BlueWolfKing

Nov 22, 2018
New York
White Knight chronicles.. I Love these games so much! :D I want to finish the sequel so bad!!! But I really dont want to plug the ps3 back up.. Ugh..

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This trailer got me so hyped. i could not believe the level of detail in the animation, the real time combat. i was ready for a new whole level of jrp goodness on ps3. And... I never got to play this game.
Seems like I dodged a bullet.