• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the headlines but haven't been following the state news (I'm not a Texas resident), so I'm a bit ignorant. Can someone explain if it's significant/unusual that five are not running for re-election and, if these are related, why this is happening?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the headlines but haven't been following the state news (I'm not a Texas resident), so I'm a bit ignorant. Can someone explain if it's significant/unusual that five are not running for re-election and, if these are related, why this is happening?
Usually means the GOP internal poll numbers are not that good. You saw something similar during the 2018 midterms

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of representatives in safe districts retire because the GOP limits committee chairs/ranking members to three consecutive terms. I don't believe that applies to this dude, though.

Part of it is that being in the minority party isn't as fun as being in the majority party, and a lot of House Republicans have only experienced the latter. Turns out, if you change the House rules to disempower the minority, those changes won't be reverted when you lose the majority.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is going on over there? Is this just a coincidence or are people fleeing for some specific reason (like Trump)?

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Wouldn't an old standby dropping out, causing several possible Republican replacements to step up, increase turnout for an already high turnout area?

Their numbers are up anyway in this hyper partisan enviromnent, but the GOP is getting the stinkeye in WI and Dem numbers are up even higher. Plus, losing the incumbency factor for such an institution political figure is hard to reproduce in the same numbers.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
What the hell is going on over there? Is this just a coincidence or are people fleeing for some specific reason (like Trump)?

For those that are in safe districts it can be attributed to Trump, but not for some moral or ideological reason. It is because they are seeing strong signs that Republicans will not take back the house which would have them in a two year term in the minority. Being in the minority sucks in so many ways, especially when you are just one person in a sea of 435 people, over half of which are in control and you're not one of them.

The same is true of the senate, with Republicans in control over there and Moscow Mitch doing more damage to this country than Trump. Democrats in the senate are effectively prevented from doing anything save for very, very rare instances where they have a small number of Republicans actually support them. McCain's thumb in the eye of Trump and Moscow Mitch was one of the biggest examples in recent years.