• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The book was a bit overwritten and too long but still a good time.
Nice that they turned it into TV and not into just one film.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I love the artic setting for a horror story, reminds me of The Thing which is one of my all time favorite films

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I might wait until this is finished and then watch it quickly, although it looks so cool, I might have to watch as it airs.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yo, this is dope

Real good book too

Should tell my dad about this, he'd get a kick out of it

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017
"Because it camouflages as a historical drama, The Terror won't be for everyone. AMC might not quite get The Walking Dead audience to cross over to The Terror, which may turn out to be a niche delight for lovers of the Gothic, but those who do tune in will more than likely find something to love about this horror show. Just sit back and let these characters break the ice."

That's a strange review (at least the quoted part). The book is IMHO a historical survival drama with supernatural elements as a side dish and not horror "camouflaged" as historical drama - the bigger motive is survival while being stranded in the arctic, not "the terror".
And that comparison to TWD comes out of nowhere for me...

Last edited:

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
Goddamit...been looking forward this,just checked how it's airing in the UK and it's on BTs shitty platform,oh well guess I'll have to buy it if it turns out good

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
"Because it camouflages as a historical drama, The Terror won't be for everyone. AMC might not quite get The Walking Dead audience to cross over to The Terror, which may turn out to be a niche delight for lovers of the Gothic, but those who do tune in will more than likely find something to love about this horror show. Just sit back and let these characters break the ice."

That's a strange review (at least the quoted part). The book is IMHO a historical survival drama with supernatural elements as a side dish and not horror "camouflaged" as historical drama - the bigger motive is survival while being stranded in the arctic, not "the terror".
And that comparison to TWD comes out of nowhere for me...
It's premiering after TWD, AMC is definitely hoping some of the audience carries over

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Anyone have suggestions on which service is the cheapest to watch this? I only have Prime, Netflix, and Hulu.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jared Harris is underrated

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
You basically need a live TV streaming service like PS Vue, Sling or any that have AMC as a live channel.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will check it out.

Any other horror shows out that I should keep an eye on?

Tried watching Channel Zero. Season 1 was ok. Season 2 completely bored me.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
'The Terror': AMC To Launch Entire First Season For Premiere Customers

AMC is taking a page out of its successful launch strategy for McMafia for its new drama series The Terror. The network says it will make all ten episodes of The Terror available to its Premiere customers Monday night when it debuts on TV. The move continues the binge strategy AMC used for its most recent original series McMafia,which the network says helped propel AMC Premiere to its most successful week ever in terms of new customer additions and viewership.

The entire first season of The Terror will be available for AMC Premiere customers simultaneously with the linear premiere at 9 PM March 26. AMC made McMafia available in a similar manner, with all eight episodes generating viewership within the first 24 hours.

"AMC Premiere was created as a premium expression of AMC for fans of our shows," said Mac McKean, AMC's head of innovation. "Providing entire seasons of shows like McMafia and The Terror is one of the ways we are continuing to evolve AMC Premiere and make it even more valuable for fans of AMC programming."

AMC launched AMC Premiere as an upgrade option for Xfinity customers last summer. For an additional $4.99 per month, Xfinity customers who receive AMC as part of their TV package can watch AMC originals commercial-free in real-time and on demand. It also includes bonus content geared to appeal to fans of AMC shows such as The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Preacher and others. AMC Premiere also will be available for YouTube TV customers in the coming months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewez

Vulture said:
Although AMC's The Terror is adapted from Dan Simmons's acclaimed historical novel and executive produced by Ridley Scott, with all the production value that implies, it is less of a drama than a ten-hour nightmare, systematically listing all the different things that could go wrong during a 19th-century sea voyage and then visualizing them. Death by freezing, drowning, falling, suffocation, disease, animal attack: You name it, it's here. This makes it sound as if The Terror, which premieres on Sunday night, is an unpleasant experience. It is. Oh, believe me, dear reader, it most definitely is. And there's probably too much of it. Two hours, four, even six, sure, but ten? You have to be a masochist to keep coming back.

I came back.

RogerEbert.com said:
Much like "The Thing," "The Terror" becomes more interesting as a study of what fear does to people, especially men, more than a monster story. Sure, it's a genre period piece, but it's also about elements of the human condition that never go away, including the kind of stupid pride that gets men killed, the desire to conquer mother nature, and the competitive drive with colleagues that can blind men to true danger around them.

Like a lot of modern TV, I think "The Terror" takes its time a bit too leisurely on occasion and likely would have been stronger at eight episodes, or maybe even six, but it's a solid addition to this new trend of TV literary adaptations. Projects like "The Terror" used to be reserved for prestigious feature films with Oscar aspirations, but networks like AMC have provided a better platform for them over the last few years. Only time will tell how long this trend lasts, but viewers attuned to this kind of programming should be happy to add this one to their weekly rotation.

Colorado Springs Gazette said:
While it can be tough to watch, this series tells a compelling story with the help of a stellar cast and stunning visuals.

Tampa Bay Times said:
A terrifying story of doomed characters will draw in viewers, but they'll stay for the show's cinematography.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There any word on how faithful it is? Read it recently and while I liked it overall, not sure if I want something too loyal. Hoping they get real weird with it.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
There any word on how faithful it is? Read it recently and while I liked it overall, not sure if I want something too loyal. Hoping they get real weird with it.

The story unwraps more linearly than in the book. Also, I believe they combine/condense some of the characters. Not sure about the rest.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Death by freezing, drowning, falling, suffocation, disease, animal attack: You name it, it's here. This makes it sound as if The Terror, which premieres on Sunday night, is an unpleasant experience. It is. Oh, believe me, dear reader, it most definitely is. And there's probably too much of it. Two hours, four, even six, sure, but ten? You have to be a masochist to keep coming back.

I came back.
Ok, I'm hopeful.

I wonder if they kept the final struggles near the end of the book. Those were easily among the most visceral and disturbing bits of the story.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Another review!

Entertainment Weekly said:
AMC's well-acted series recalls John Carpenter's snowy monster freak-out, though it's less interested in creatures than the shifting power dynamics of desperate men.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The first episode of the show is apparently airing tonight behind The Walking Dead fyi

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
They're not advertising it though for some reason, which is dumb.

Ah, yeah that's unfortunate. If I'm remembering the Halt and Catch Fire time right, it got mentioned on Twitter out of nowhere, not many noticed, and then the next night both episodes aired like normal.

I guess they take sneak previews too literally, haha.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that amc is releasing all 10 episodes for premier customers ? That might be good for Me.

Yep!

Ah, yeah that's unfortunate. If I'm remembering the Halt and Catch Fire time right, it got mentioned on Twitter out of nowhere, not many noticed, and then the next night both episodes aired like normal.

I guess they take sneak previews too literally, haha.

No kidding. It would get a lot more attention if they actually advertised it because something airing behind TWD is sort of a big deal...