• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
"Weeb" and "weaboo" are words that will be familiar to anyone who reads this forum but what exactly do they mean in 2020?

Is it anyone who isn't Japanese who likes a Japanese cultural product?
Does it only apply to extreme anime/j-pop fans who randomly insert words like "oneesan", "sugoi", "chou kawai" etc etc into their English discussion?

Is it any non-Japanese who has a strong interest in anything Japanese (history, the language, zen etc?).

Is any westerner who marries a Japanese person automatically a weeb?

Is it a white person thing (I believe the original insult was wapanese) or can anyone be a weeb and are the criteria for qualification the same for all non-Japanese regardless of race (including other east Asians)?

Are there other cultures/countries that have a derogatory term associated with outsiders who like something from that place (especially a term like weeb made by people outside the culture in question)? There are Francophiles etc but that doesn't have a negative connotation at all.

Edit: can a mod remove the apostrophe from "it's" in the title please. Doumo arigatou gozaimasu senpai.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
PBF071-Weeaboo.gif

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
"Weaboo" is basically a replacement for "Wapanese". It's a derogatory term towards white/non-japanese people obsessed with Japanese culture that caught on and gets thrown around casually now.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
It's just a person obsessed with Japanese cartoons, comics, and all the culture around it all, stuff like that. Drops Japanese words casually into conversation. We all know the type.

Nowt wrong with it. Whatever floats your boat.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
A person who's super into anime/manga/J-pop/games/figurines etc. or any of the related subcultures and geeky stuff is a weeb.

A person who's into Japanese history, philosophy, traditional art, or other aspects of the mainstream culture is more of a Japanophile.

A person who says "waifu" or "husbando" is scum of the earth.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've heard any fans of Japanese stuff call themselves that. It's mostly people making fun of a person for liking anything Japanese/anime

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weebs are basically people who are way too obsessed with Japanese culture that they start thinking they understand it even though all they know is stuff from anime.

Someone liking anime or Japanese media isn't a weeb. It is when you start being extreme about it that you are considered a weeb.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
In some parts of twitter weeb has morphed into something more of a word for alt-right anime fans that glorify Japan and decry any western influence on it.

Oct 26, 2017
"Weeb" is mostly used self-debricatingly by other anime fans, nowadays. It's sort of lost all meaning.

Also, is it a coincedence that there are currently four anime-related threads on EtcetEra right now? >.>

Oct 25, 2017
The people that make their interest in anime their entire personality is how I always read it.

More time on Twitter has taught me why anime avatars get so much shit.

I am proud of one time when my coworker who knows I'm into nerdy shit asked me if I watched a certain anime and I said, no because I'm not a weeb. Dude got so defensive and started making fun my DragonBall shirts. I was just bored and it seemed like an easy reaction to get.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Also, man, I don't think we should be calling someone who married someone Japanese a weeb as referenced in the OP

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you start speaking Japanese but only to interject phrases and lines of dialog from anime into your conversations, especially if you're doing it to disguise an insult when no one else around you speaks Japanese, you're a weeb.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Weebs are basically people who are way too obsessed with Japanese culture that they start thinking they understand it even though all they know is stuff from anime.

Someone liking anime or Japanese media isn't a weeb. It is when you start being extreme about it that you are considered a weeb.

That has long, long since changed. A weeb these days is anyone who likes anime.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Weeb gets thrown around for anything Japanese which renders the word completely pointless and I'll never forgive it for ruining the dumb joke in the Perry Bible Fellowship comic

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Is it even "in" to call someone weeb anymore? I never see the term used in the derogatory term anymore. It's not as prevalent as it used to be.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These days it just means a more hardcore anime and japan pop-culture fan. Because the expression was somewhat "embraced" it lost a lot of its pejorative sense.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
A weeb is as far as I'm concerned a non-Japanese Otaku. That's about as succinct as you can make it. Anime is cool, but if you take it too far (anime avatars, body pillows, niche Japanese game titles, using Japanese words mixed in with your native language) or obsess about Japanese media culture and not the actual culture well....you're a weeb.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've heard any fans of Japanese stuff call themselves that. It's mostly people making fun of a person for liking anything Japanese/anime
I def call myself a weeb. Mostly as a joke but also, whatever. I don't really care.

I draw the line at tiddy figs and waifu talk, though, so maybe i don't actually qualify.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Either:

1. Someone who consumes almost nothing but Japanese media (think 80-100% of what they do) or thinks Japanese media is superior to everything for stupid reasons.
  2. Someone who inserts random Japanese lingo into regular English conversation.
  3. People who violently refuse to call a show by its translated name, even if it's in the title.

At least for me. I used to consider people who watch anime in general weebs but anime has gotten so big, that it's pretty normal to have watched some at one point.