• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jeffrito

Oct 27, 2017
Could anyone with a new model check to see if it has a headphone jack? I can't afford a new receiver on top of a tv just yet.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
sounds like the best upgrade is that its able to maintain brightness for small highlights and in all windows in general.

Mine actually came in yesterday at Best Buy. I got a 55" and I must have hit the panel lottery, this thing is beautiful and so much better than the P series I bought last year. Only have slight darker edges, which is super normal. It seems so much brighter and the build quality is fantastic.

Hard to show anything on a picture in the dark with a phone but heres a part of Planet Earth on netflix.

orxSMkl.jpg

you generally can't see panel uniformity issues in pics like this unless its a solid color or during panning shots where uniformity rears its ugly head as dirty screen effect though. if you're satisfied don't go looking further tho!

reMiX.

Mar 6, 2018
Uh.. If by chance there are any owners of the 65 AND a Sony 900 series in here... lol - can you let me know if the Sony is worth the jump in price over the 65?? Trying to make some serious life decisions in the very near future...

silver5liter

Nov 10, 2017
sounds like the best upgrade is that its able to maintain brightness for small highlights and in all windows in general.

you generally can't see panel uniformity issues in pics like this unless its a solid color or during panning shots where uniformity rears its ugly head as dirty screen effect though. if you're satisfied don't go looking further tho!

Im well aware. I had the P series last year and took it back. Got a Vizio M series and took it back because panning shots drove me nuts. This one is light years better. Im sure if I put a solid white up id notice something but in normal viewing so far I haven't seen anything. Planet Earth II has a ton of sky panning shots so those 2 drove me nuts. This one seems really clean.

reMiX.

Mar 6, 2018
I've decided I neeed this TV. I was initially planning on a Sony x900E around Black Friday, based on RTINGS recommendation and the demo I got from a dude at best buy comparing the Sony A1E, the x900e, and the 850e. I'm a noob to this AV stuff, so what I learned at Best Buy that day is that the quality of the local dimming is HUGE when it comes to picture quality.

For those interested in seeing some kind of content on the 6 series leading up to the RTINGS review, I thought this CNET video is pretty sick - it shows a special demo unit displaying the array of dimming zones:

https://www.cnet.com/videos/tcl-6-series-looks-like-a-video-quality-value-winner/

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered the 55 inch last Friday, was originally estimated to be delivered today. Over the weekend was updated to deliver yesterday.

Never passed "label was created." Amazon seems to have lost it.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've seen a few people say there are issues with the HDMI 1 port. Can anyone confirm they too are having issues? Here's a vid on it.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Anyone tested the 6 in hdr gaming and also owned the P series for a while?
Also they say HDMI 3 is the low input lag port which sadly is also the ARC port.

Anyone know if the other ports are low lag also yet for sure? In Hdr

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
That video is dogshit lol

He doesn't even have local dimming on, that's his big issue. Maybe I should be a TV reviewer youtube guy if it's this easy :p

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone have the 5 series? I just received mine and I'm still trying to find the perfect calibration for it.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have the 5 series? I just received mine and I'm still trying to find the perfect calibration for it.
don't have mine yet and couldn't seem to find any settings online. most of the hype and media coverage will be on the 6-series for a while.

how's the tv looking with the not-perfect calibrations?

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really want to get this after my move. should it pretty well in stock in August or so?

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Damn not over 70"

need a good over 70" set since im not going smaller than what i have now

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
don't have mine yet and couldn't seem to find any settings online. most of the hype and media coverage will be on the 6-series for a while.

how's the tv looking with the not-perfect calibrations?

The picture is good out of the box but I'm just waiting to tweak it to my liking. I booted up uncharted 4 and was blown away at how good it looked compared to my old set tho.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Comes with a component adapter

Incorrect. It comes with a composite adapter. The tv does not support component.

I've been playing around with mine since I got it on Tuesday, and it's been mostly great, but I definitely miss the screen uniformity and viewing angle my plasma had.

Put an all white image up and discovered a single dead pixel in the upper middle-left part of the screen. Fortunately it's so small that I can't even see it at 8' away.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
About 18ms with Game Mode
Thats on HDMI 3 which is also ARC .

Do we know the input lag yet for the other two inputs? the rumor was they were much higher so those of us who do not run our components through our AVR kind of need to know.
Hopefully rtings.com checks all the inputs with HDR when it does its review

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Put an all white image up and discovered a single dead pixel in the upper middle-left part of the screen. Fortunately it's so small that I can't even see it at 8' away.
I recommend everyone doing this with their new sets, I had 3-4 bad panels for the p605. Some of the problem areas didn't even seem like dead pixels but more so like dust trapped or glued onto the panel. Wear some sunglasses or something though because the screen is really bright!

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have this tv, in the preview program, and can get 4k and hdr. Just got the 65" and i cannot get it to recognize 4k. Not sure if its being in an alpha build or something else.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend everyone doing this with their new sets, I had 3-4 bad panels for the p605. Some of the problem areas didn't even seem like dead pixels but more so like dust trapped or glued onto the panel. Wear some sunglasses or something though because the screen is really bright!

Yep, after taking a couple pics and putting different colors up I'm pretty sure it's actually just a piece of dust stuck inside. If I zoom into a close up the pixels are all lit up.

At 8 ft it's completely invisible so I'm not going to worry about it.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
This TV is with one thats gonna make me upgrade my 1080p guy from 5 years ago! Sad its not high Hz, but I think I can live without it if its solid enough for gaming. Debating if I should not open God of War till I get this...

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Is this better than the ks8000? I have the 65" in the living room. Thinking of getting this TV for our bedroom.

Last edited:

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have this tv, in the preview program, and can get 4k and hdr. Just got the 65" and i cannot get it to recognize 4k. Not sure if its being in an alpha build or something else.

Did you go into the input settings on the tv and change HDMI mode from automatic to 2.0? Also, are you definitely using a 2.0 hdmi cable?

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Sound isn't so great to me, but I hope that will get better once I get it off the floor and on the new tv stand. Any sound bar recommendations?

ch298807

Oct 27, 2017
Sound isn't so great to me, but I hope that will get better once I get it off the floor and on the new tv stand. Any sound bar recommendations?

I have the Vizio SB3851-C0 5.1 soundbar and wireless subwoofer/speakers and I've really liked them. They're a relatively cheap and easy way to get into 5.1 sound.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if this means they'll clear out last years models, which would still be a huge upgrade for me.