• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

The Takeover is a side-scrolling beat'em up inspired by 90's classics such as Streets of Rage and Final Fight. Battle solo or alongside a friend in local co-op in any of the three featured game modes, Arcade, Survival and Challenge. Fight your way across 7 stages and over 20 unique locations using any of the four playable characters or swap between them in real time in the unlockable Relay Mode.

It's $13.99 after 30% launch discount.

This is their latest update regarding consoles release.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably get some stick for this but jesus I hate that song.

That being said I'm looking forward to getting this when it hits consoles.

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's all Nicalis' fault but I'm still annoyed this one in the end released before 90s Arcade Racing. At least now the devs have a self published title

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for Ether, the sequel.

source.gif

Nov 9, 2017
RĂ©union
There will be a lot of explosions. At least, unless there's some changes about what can be found/dropped by the ennemies. It's not a bad game, even though I don't want to finish it right now. I can't say why though.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Not too fond of the art style (the characters look like they're made of shiny plastic), but the gameplay seems like a lot of fun.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Brought this back in 2016 when it was a fiver, glad to see its finally done. Have to grab a mate and give it a spin when I next get the chance.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Why do they keep releasing these kind of games with no online co-op? Is it really that hard to implement. Streets of rage 2 ps3 version had it..

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I kind of dig the Killer Instinct meets Streets of Rage vibe. That car with a mounted gun better be a drift machine to live up to that music though.

Edit: Oh shit, Afterburner?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they keep releasing these kind of games with no online co-op? Is it really that hard to implement. Streets of rage 2 ps3 version had it..

A) yeah it turns out it's actually kinda hard, especially for smaller indie devs.
B) on Steam you can use Remote Play Together now to play games with local co-op online

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
At first I thought "graphics are a little rough, but game looks fun nonetheless"

And then

CAN YOU FEEL THE STORM

IT'S COMING

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every classic beatemup has a similar, if not identical, mechanic.

I thought Fight 'N Rage's implementation of that mechanic was really good. In that you can use the super moves that cost life for free but on a cooldown, if you use it again before the cooldown is over then it takes some life.

In most classic arcade brawlers it's definitely intended as a life-sink.

can anyone explain why these games aren't launching on xbox? it's weird right?

Small, basically one-man team so they focus on the most popular hardware first probably, platforms where they're also likely already have more connections/ a devkit etc.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I legit adore the graphics, no joke.. Those heavy-ass weapon hits too. I honestly love everything about it

The lighting is insane.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
The visuals are looking pretty impressive. Action looks slick with Caddilacs & Dinosaurs-style shooting. Music is Eurobeat as he-

f32977c750f7b97228e3dfa0b2f7d451.jpg

OH SHIT IS THAT BAZ AT THE END?

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
I thought Fight 'N Rage's implementation of that mechanic was really good. In that you can use the super moves that cost life for free but on a cooldown, if you use it again before the cooldown is over then it takes some life.

In most classic arcade brawlers it's definitely intended as a life-sink.
Like Bare Knuckle III.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Interesting artstyle.

The 'music' has to be the worst thing I heard in the last 10 years though.
Hole shit, pls let me switch it off

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to me I can't seem to get in to beat em ups without an old school pixel look. This is kind of eh to me in the same way SOR4 is. At least the characters & bg seem more like they're part of the same world here.

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looks good, but in all of these modern interpretations of Streets of Rage I just don't like the style at all. Raging Justice, Mother Russia Bleeds and now this. I just don't like the visuals.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think SOR4's visuals are a good match for that particular franchise but they look great otherwise and I'd have no reservations with an original game in that style.

This game... ehh, maybe someone's nostalgic for that gross super-european pre-rendered look but it ain't me.

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Still waiting for a release date for this & for Fight 'n Rage (with their "soon"). An d SoR4 of course, but that seems further off.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Looks... okay. Am I the only person who wants throwback game play without throwback art direction? I love classic design, but so many of these games go in for pastiche with more pixels.