• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Looking really pretty and I haven't seen the whole video I just can't help but love what's being shown.

Is Era excited to play this? Cautiously optimistic or worried about System Shock 3?

Look at this sexy map.

b8XvxyZ.png

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of detail is fantastic, even if it only looked half as good I would still be hyped. I tried going back to SS1 and it's rough, looking forward to this.

I hope Nightdive Studios continues to thrive, we definitely need more studios bringing back old games and modernizing them correctly.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Considering everything that happened with the development of this game, it's turning out pretty amazing. Hopefully it does well and they can remake 2 as well.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I just hope they don't bring down the difficulty too much. Breaking those cameras just feels too easy.

In the original, it was always a scramble, knowing you gotta time the jump and hit during the short window before the camera sends out the alarm and a squad of killer cyborgs shows up.
The remake just feels too forgiving. I understand why, but that really kills the atmosphere of desperation you're supposed to start out with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really can't wait. Immersive sims have been my jam since the first Deus Ex, so I came to System Shock a bit late with the sequel and have still not gone back to play the first. It's like looking forward to a brand new game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
playing through SS1 enhanced edition right now... pretty fun but hooo doggy i'd hate to be tasked with "remaking" this. assuming they pull it off without it being some faint simulacrum of the OG then it'll be a herculean accomplishment. like they'll deserve a nobel prize for this

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo that came out for The Game Awards and it looked really good, an impressive update of the original's art style (though admittedly I don't have firsthand memories of the original, just SS2, so I'm going off the screenshots I've seen of the original game). Felt basically like how I'd expect a modern SS2 to play in many ways. I'm looking forward to it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This is independent of SS3, right? That game's troubles won't affect this?
Different team. SS3 is being done by the second team at Otherside. Otherside released its Kickstarter project in 2018 that was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld games, and.... it was not great.
Hopefully Warren Spector still got the magic touch, though.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The graphics, lighting, and visuals are very impressive and I really think this one is going to be huge. I'd love to see raytracing included too.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they don't bring down the difficulty too much. Breaking those cameras just feels too easy.

In the original, it was always a scramble, knowing you gotta time the jump and hit during the short window before the camera sends out the alarm and a squad of killer cyborgs shows up.
The remake just feels too forgiving. I understand why, but that really kills the atmosphere of desperation you're supposed to start out with.
Are you confusing this with System Shock 2? The cameras in the original couldn't actively detect you at all. Destroying them would lower SHODAN's control of the level they were on, so they essentially served as collectibles.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
It does look good, but I'm surprised they kept the ceiling so low in most of the rooms. With the more modern graphics, it makes everything feel condensed like the player character is walking around in vents the whole time

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely excited for this. The original is still one of the best games in the genre (more people should play it instead of waiting for only the remake).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Are you confusing this with System Shock 2? The cameras in the original couldn't actively detect you at all. Destroying them would lower SHODAN's control of the level they were on, so they essentially served as collectibles.
Possibly. I DID play them back to back originally.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
This is literally the only thing I've ever backed on Kickstarter (or any similar platform). It's been pretty impressive to see it turn around after going down the wrong road for a while. I played through the Medical level demo they put out over the holidays and I really like where it's going.

I happened across SS1 on a shelf in Babbage's back in 1994 and became a lifetime fan of the franchise on that day, so this is a fun project for me to watch come together.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Considering everything that happened with the development of this game, it's turning out pretty amazing. Hopefully it does well and they can remake 2 as well.
Yeah, amazing turnaround and seemingly great leadership there.

Yup, it's fascinating to me. I really had no hopes. I'm still cautiously optimistic but at least I'm optimistic about the release. It's gorgeous and looks like they're trying as much as possible to stick to the core ideas of the original game.

Different team. SS3 is being done by the second team at Otherside. Otherside released its Kickstarter project in 2018 that was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld games, and.... it was not great.
Hopefully Warren Spector still got the magic touch, though.

This one I'm more worried about. I really want it to be great but something about these older games seem hard to replicate imo. Baldur's Gate, Wasteland, Fallout, and all those classics had so much poured into them. I hope it turns out good but I also feel the same way towards the new Vampire the Masquerade.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yup, it's fascinating to me. I really had no hopes. I'm still cautiously optimistic but at least I'm optimistic about the release. It's gorgeous and looks like they're trying as much as possible to stick to the core ideas of the original game.

This one I'm more worried about. I really want it to be great but something about these older games seem hard to replicate imo. Baldur's Gate, Wasteland, Fallout, and all those classics had so much poured into them. I hope it turns out good but I also feel the same way towards the new Vampire the Masquerade.
Bloodlines I'm not so worried about, since the writing team includes the original lead (Mitsoda), Chris Avellone and Cara Ellison (who wrote a ton about Bloodlines for RPS and clearly "gets it" ).if the gameplay's jank I can live with it, as long as it's not outright broken. And they've got Wesp (the creator of the un-official patch for Bloodlines) as part of the QA team, so that should help, too, lol.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I wish they'd do more with the level appearance so it wasn't so obvious where texture tiling occurred in the original.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
The low res retro design looks awesome in combination with the lighting. I hope this actually comes out, I backed this a few years back even though I never played the original and SS 2 was too scary/hard for me when I was little, I only played the demo for a bit... 😅

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Bloodlines I'm not so worried about, since the writing team includes the original lead (Mitsoda), Chris Avellone and Cara Ellison (who wrote a ton about Bloodlines for RPS and clearly "gets it" ).if the gameplay's jank I can live with it, as long as it's not outright broken. And they've got Wesp (the creator of the un-official patch for Bloodlines) as part of the QA team, so that should help, too, lol.

Oh man! That's awesome for them. I think they're one of the major reasons the first game has such a big following. I'm always excited for more Avellone. His lack of presence could be felt on Outer Worlds, sadly.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loving everything about this. The controls for SS1 are too obtuse for me to properly get into the game these days. This is a dream come true.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Eh, I think it looks fine but are those enemies the final design? They look like asset store quality...