• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much shit flinging in here that it feels like we need a thread reboot. You'd not get this level of shit in the Days Gone or Persona threads.

Dunking on Switch because it's a port of a PS2 game is kinda lame and is exactly like saying that Persona 5 is just an upjumped PS3 game even though the technical improvements stand out for themselves.

Same applies to this port. It's not the basic PS2 game.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
12gb should've been the remaster file size from the start, seems they don't bother optimising compressing file sizes on other platforms. Like Spyro did at launch then with a update they made overall file size smaller

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm sorry. Matsuno's Ivalice is generic fantasyland? Now I've heard it all
Maybe it's the voice acting? XII always seemed like it was trying waaaay too hard with the fantasy/royal stuff to me, without capturing the charm or it like FF IV or a DQ game. It didn't feel as original as X's world with places like the Farplane, Moonflow, etc, at least to me

12gb should've been the remaster file size from the start, seems they don't bother optimising compressing file sizes on other platforms. Like Spyro did at launch then with a update they made overall file size smaller
Nope, it's magic

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I am having such a hard time deciding between this, Dragon's Dogma, Steamworld Quest, and Coven of Dusk. Goddamn there are not enough days in the week (or hours in the day).

I'll throw my hat into this conversation too: XII is the best FF in the post-SNES era WITH the Zodiac Age updates. And now with the license board reset option available, it could be the best mainline FF period.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Maybe it's the voice acting? XII always seemed like it was trying waaaay too hard with the fantasy/royal stuff to me, without capturing the charm or it like FF IV or a DQ game. It didn't feel as original as X's world with places like the Farplane, Moonflow, etc, at least to me
A lot of that is because FFXII is on a much smaller scale than X. X takes you through the entire world of Spira, where XII essentially keeps you in one small location.

All of Matsuno's games do that. He tends to feature localized politics and geographies rather than global ones. FFXII, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics. None were worldwide. All were localized.

But XII did still have fantastical locales. The Pharos of Ridorana, The Feywood, The Necrohol of Nabudis. All some really cool locations.

Hell, Rabanastre is the first town EVER in a FF game that actually feels alive and breathing.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018

The video on the OP is supposedly handheld footage

Blurry, but not too bad imo. Especially on the Switch's screen games with 400-600p still look pretty great, albeit slightly softer obviously.

But Idgaf because the only way I'll possibly ever finish this game is on a handheld. ;-) Give it to me!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Why does this look better than Xenoblade 2 lol.

I know, open world, but it's 2006 vs 2017.

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
It's crazy how much trouble the Switch has rendering polygonal games at 720p. I'll buy a premium model Switch if it means native res games in handheld.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
A lot of that is because FFXII is on a much smaller scale than X. X takes you through the entire world of Spira, where XII essentially keeps you in one small location.

All of Matsuno's games do that. He tends to feature localized politics and geographies rather than global ones. FFXII, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics. None were worldwide. All were localized.

But XII did still have fantastical locales. The Pharos of Ridorana, The Feywood, The Necrohol of Nabudis. All some really cool locations.
I've played through XII twice, they just didn't stick with me. Ranabastre is cool looking, and I also liked Fran's town in the trees, but it just didn't seem like the world had as much soul as Spira in X

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Are there any plans to patch the respec option into the PS4 version? I'd love to play around with my builds without starting over.

I've played through XII twice, they just didn't stick with me. Ranabastre is cool looking, and I also liked Fran's town in the trees, but it just didn't seem like the world had as much soul as Spira in X
I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. X felt more generic to me. The whole "this religion (summoners) is good, but oh wait it's really bad" is about as generics it gets

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
Anyone saying it's a PS2 game have no idea what they're talking about

• There isn't anything much to miss out on so you can have fun however you want without fear of missing stuff
  • You can customize the battle system however you want to: you can speed up the gauge in the option, and also make it fully real-time
  • Gambits are valuable so you should buy what you need at the shop so you can customize them (though they're not mandatory if you don't want to program your team)
  • You can respec your jobs so you don't have to agonize over it anymore
  • There are a dozen weapon types and a lot of them doesn't have strength as their main modifier for damage. You should experiment having builds that focuses on magic or speed, experiment and don't focus on one single weapon type
  • NPCs have a lot of things to say that are really interesting about the world, and they have new dialogue for almost every story beat, and they also don't say dumb shit so it's worth it to talk to as much people as you can to immerse yourself in this world and have a lot of context of what's going on around you
  • There are sidequests in this game outside of hunts but they're not marked so you should speak to people to trigger them, they're not very important but fun to do nonetheless
  • Enemies doesn't drop gils, they drop loot you have to sell and they allow for items int he bazaar to be unlocked in which you get cool stuff at a discount, you should prioritize selling loot in bulk so you can get bazaar stuff from time to time
  • Stealing is very useful to earn money in this game, make good use of it as it is an innate skill of some characters
  • There's no point in equipping the diamond armlet that gives better loot from chests, it doesn't matter and sometimes is even detrimental to receive the "good" loot in a chest

Thanks so much for the detailed breakdown! Sounds like they really cut down on the more stressful elements of the base game and streamlined for those of us who don't want to and can't start a new game every time something doesn't go their way.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
This is a remaster with higher-fidelity textures, higher-res models, a new lighting system, THREE full soundtracks, DUAL audio and EFIGS + JP + KR translation, not to mention the new Trial system. It will not run on a toaster and the PC port is evidence of the game being quite demanding due to the variety of post-processing effects applied & other things (such anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, the lighting, and the loss of the magic queue).

This is not the game slapped on a PS2 emulator, it's the game on an all-new engine. It is impressive.

It's the same engine from the PS2 original. But yes a great deal of work went into ZA.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Did a comparison a few weeks ago of Switch vs PS4. The game runs nicely on Switch & it is a fine version to play. I've always had a love/hate relationship with FF12 but the Switch version may make me love it again.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
This is going to be the fourth time i pay full price for FFXII, I even got the huge collectors edition on PS4.
Also glad to see XII getting the respect it deserves, truly was ahead of it's time.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying it's a PS2 game have no idea what they're talking about

I know exactly what I'm talking about. It's still fundamentally a PS2 game, this isn't a Shadow of the Colossus-style remake, this is a remastering at a higher resolution with some nicer assets and tweaked effects. The switch is SEVERAL generations removed from the originating hardware, the scope of the graphical updates should be well within its capabilities.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. X felt more generic to me. The whole "this religion (summoners) is good, but oh wait it's really bad" is about as generics it gets
I mean, this isn't the thread for it, but to me what makes X good is more about the story, characters, world and how it's presented rather than just the religion stuff. That's just the trapping used to stitch the pieces together.

The battle system is another main reason I like X so much, it's my favorite system in the series. The conditional turn-based system lets you see upcoming actions and how what you choose will impact the flow. It's more enjoyable than the regular ATB battles I feel, and I really don't enjoy the XII system of setting gambits and how the battles just play out.

Having Tidus dropped off there with no context, just like the player, lets them expose stuff that would be boilerplate in the world to the player without it seeming so contrived or resulting to data dumps, audio logs, etc. You're experiencing stuff for the first time in that world along with the main character. The areas seem more clearly defined to me too, and I appreciate how they go into the history and stuff about things, I would always listen to the stories from NPCs like the old guy on the Highroad, etc.

I just find X more charming, vibrant and probably most importantly, what I personally think of as a 'Final Fantasy' game. VII, VIII, XII, XIII and XV all kind of have a more serious feel to them that I just don't like as much as the 8 and 16-bit FFs I-VI, as well as IX and X.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
And the physical size of the data on the PS4 disc is pretty irrelevant.

Game developers regularly use copy data on disc to improve seek times. The actual size of the data on the disc or install is pretty arbitrary... it's certainly not "black magic".... lol

PS4 games don't run off the disc. Why would developers still copy data to improve seek time with any of the current gen systems?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I know exactly what I'm talking about. It's still fundamentally a PS2 game, this isn't a Shadow of the Colossus-style remake, this is a remastering at a higher resolution with some nicer assets and tweaked effects. The switch is SEVERAL generations removed from the originating hardware, the scope of the graphical updates should be well within its capabilities.
The remastered did get upgraded textures and anti-aliasing, not to mention an added resolution bump. Yes, the Switch should handle it well, but the port was targeting PS4 hardware primarily in the first place.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this isn't the thread for it, but to me what makes X good is more about the story, characters, world and how it's presented rather than just the religion stuff. That's just the trapping used to stitch the pieces together.

The battle system is another main reason I like X so much, it's my favorite system in the series. The conditional turn-based system lets you see upcoming actions and how what you choose will impact the flow. It's more enjoyable than the regular ATB battles I feel, and I really don't enjoy the XII system of setting gambits and how the battles just play out.

Having Tidus dropped off there with no context, just like the player, lets them expose stuff that would be boilerplate in the world to the player without it seeming so contrived or resulting to data dumps, audio logs, etc. You're experiencing stuff for the first time in that world along with the main character. The areas seem more clearly defined to me too, and I appreciate how they go into the history and stuff about things, I would always listen to the stories from NPCs like the old guy on the Highroad, etc.

I just find X more charming, vibrant and probably most importantly, what I personally think of as a 'Final Fantasy' game. VII, VIII, XII, XIII and XV all kind of have a more serious feel to them that I just don't like as much as the 8 and 16-bit FFs I-VI, as well as IX and X.
BTW, as someone who came from loving Final Fantasy VIs tone more than FFVII, FFXIII and FFXV's, will I enjoy this game? I'm not quite a fan of the "Nomura-led" Final Fantasy stories.
I mean, it has lower res textures doesn't it? Obviously it's a smaller size
The side-by-side comparison shows it having the same texture work. My guess is filesize shrunk because of better, more efficient FMV codecs.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Many of FFXII's voice actors are experienced English theater actors, so "trying hard" in this instance is actually just "being exceptionally good." Likewise, its localization was done by Alexander O. Smith, one of the best in the business (who also worked on FFX).

Spira is certainly quite different from Ivalice, and is a setting that might be less familiar to Westerners, so having that preference is understandable. That said, Ivalice is undoubtedly the better product of meticulous world-building, whereas Spira's facade begins to crumble if you scrutinize the world outside the context of the main storyline. It's compelling for the purposes of FFX's emotionally poignant journey, but ultimately shallow, whereas Ivalice is familiar at a glance, but extremely deep.

For instance: the Guado have next to zero sensible contextualization in FFX. They're the guardians of the Farplane, and their capital is built around it, but they only converted to Yevon thirty years past.

Why were they the guardians of the ostensible embodiment of Yevon's afterlife if they didn't adhere to it? Why did Yevonites revere a place owned by a blasphemous "sub-race"? Why do the Guado zealously follow Seymour Guado — knowing he's dead, and was the killer of their previous leader — to the point of committing genocide on the Al Bhed?

There's just no context to make any of it believable on closer inspection. One of the Guadosalam NPCs even jokes about the discrimination they face "I bet you think we all look alike," but we never actually see that, and their actions... actually do paint them as a monolithic cult. Game doesn't handle its racial politics well at all.

I'm on a replay now, and just did Bevelle, which is another aspect that makes no sense. Here is one of the main Temple Cloisters that summoners routinely enter, and its entrance is... immediately recognized by the party as blasphemous machina. They've just been chased by a party of machine gun-touting monks, so they're reeling, but none of their predecessors picked up on the blatantly manipulative hypocrisy of Yevonism?

Spira is at its best when it focuses on the plight of its peoples in the face of recurring disaster, but it falls down a rabbit hole it never recovers from, and never seeks to flesh out its world outside of the main pilgrimage's context.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Hated 8 and x. X killed the series for me. Hated most of the characters and the world, So never really gave coo a fairs shake. Might need to try this when it goes on sale.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, as someone who came from loving Final Fantasy VIs tone more than FFVII, FFXIII and FFXV's, will I enjoy this game? I'm not quite a fan of the "Nomura-led" Final Fantasy stories.

I say absolutely. XII and VI are probably my favorites in the series (not counting the MMOs).

Oct 25, 2017
So many lost souls shitting on the masterpiece that is X/X-2 smh...

I remember being so disappointed by vanilla XII on PS2, but I'm kinda tempted to pick this up and give it a shot. I think if I go in with adjusted expectations this time, it might be fun.

what

X is one of the best games in the series. X-2 has a weak story but the brilliant gameplay makes up for it.

X-2's plot is dumb, but at least it's fun in a goofy, tongue-in-cheek sense, which is more than can be said about XII's plot and the way it's paced.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Addendum: I don't personally hate Nomura, but when I refer to him in the context of Final Fantasy, I refer to the trifecta that is Nomura/Nojima/Kitase (i.e. "The Warring Triad") that sort of took over overseeing the series after Sakaguchi left. To me, it felt that FF was starting to lose that "spirit (within)" that made it feel grounded yet still distinct from the typical Dragon Quest mold RPG.

Still not sure whether to grab the X version for 60fps or Switch for portability.
Switch version! Enjoying FF in bed is a great experience.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Many of FFXII's voice actors are experienced English theater actors, so "trying hard" in this instance is actually just "being exceptionally good." Likewise, its localization was done by Alexander O. Smith, one of the best in the business (who also worked on FFX).

Spira is certainly quite different from Ivalice, and is a setting that might be less familiar to Westerners, so having that preference is understandable. That said, Ivalice is undoubtedly the better product of meticulous world-building, whereas Spira's facade begins to crumble if you scrutinize the world outside the context of the main storyline. It's compelling for the purposes of FFX's emotionally poignant journey, but ultimately shallow, whereas Ivalice is familiar at a glance, but extremely deep.

For instance: the Guado have next to zero sensible contextualization in FFX. They're the guardians of the Farplane, and their capital is built around it, but they only converted to Yevon thirty years past.

Why were they the guardians of the ostensible embodiment of Yevon's afterlife if they didn't adhere to it? Why did Yevonites revere a place owned by a blasphemous "sub-race"? Why do the Guado zealously follow Seymour Guado — knowing he's dead, and was the killer of their previous leader — to the point of committing genocide on the Al Bhed?

There's just no context to make any of it believable on closer inspection. One of the Guadosalam NPCs even jokes about the discrimination they face "I bet you think we all look alike," but we never actually see that, and their actions... actually do paint them as a monolithic cult. Game doesn't handle its racial politics well at all.

I'm on a replay now, and just did Bevelle, which is another aspect that makes no sense. Here is one of the main Temple Cloisters that summoners routinely enter, and its entrance is... immediately recognized by the party as blasphemous machina. They've just been chased by a party of machine gun-touting monks, so they're reeling, but none of their predecessors picked up on the blatantly manipulative hypocrisy of Yevonism?

Spira is at its best when it focuses on the plight of its peoples in the face of recurring disaster, but it falls down a rabbit hole it never recovers from, and never seeks to flesh out its world outside of the main pilgrimage's context.
Idk, I never have thought so deeply on the Guado history lol. I just think JRPGs are like mangas you can play through and I'm along for the ride. I'm not one to put in 100hrs, level everything to 99 and theorize about the game world. I'm on to the next thing. Maybe I just prefer 'bad' British voices too because I'm American. I liked them in DQ VIII

Maybe? It has a darker political vibe, but not as many jokes and lighthearted moments as the sprite-based games

Still not sure whether to grab the X version for 60fps or Switch for portability.
I know the marketing has said 60 FPS on One X, but the game logic is tied to 30fps and gameplay vids show it running at 30fps also

Last edited:

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Honestly, I'd go Switch version, and that's from someone who played it on PS2 and PS4. You'll probably be playing a huge chunk of the game at 2X speed anyways, so the lack of 60FPS won't be as noticeable. The portability sounds much more enticing.

Of course, disregard this if achievements matter to you.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
The Switch (and XB1) port sounds good, but I'm reluctant to buy since I have the PS4 version. Here's hoping they patch in the updates.

The portability aspect of the Switch is definitely tempting, though!

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Addendum: I don't personally hate Nomura, but when I refer to him in the context of Final Fantasy, I refer to the trifecta that is Nomura/Nojima/Kitase (i.e. "The Warring Triad") that sort of took over overseeing the series after Sakaguchi left. To me, it felt that FF was starting to lose that "spirit (within)" that made it feel grounded yet still distinct from the typical Dragon Quest mold RPG.
Well neither of them participated in this game, it was handled by Matsuno of FFT/Vagrant Story Fame and Hiroyuki Ito who directed FF6 and FF9 so you might enjoy it.