• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
I find screen size is fine for the most part, though you can tell most third party games are not designed with the lite in mind.

Agreed on the ergonomics part, though the regular switch has this issue too. Cases can solve the issue somewhat.

RojoRedRouge

Nov 30, 2017
I do actually. It's one of my favorite systems ever. It is the most "pocketable" out of all of them and it's inclusion of bluetooth, flip open for the button access is just a joy. Even when you look at youtube reviews down to this day many notable multi system portable gaming channels swear by it and put it as their favorite to this day. The regular PSP feels great in the hands, even more so than the go but once you get used to the go's button layout it's killer. I finished the OG Tomb Raider and a couple of games on it a few months ago actually. I'd recomend a PSP go to anyone who can find one unless you are really just a physical only type of player.

I love the PSP Go but it is the most uncomfortable handheld I've ever used

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I like mine so much I sold my other Switch. I was just using the Switch in bed and never on the TV so no loss. The smaller form factor is great

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Switch is way more in the column of console than handheld, and one of the ways to tell is that most games have UIs built for TVs and not a small tablet screen.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I'm having flashbacks to playing text heavy games on an iPhone/iPad where everything was either too small or too big; in short I don't think it's the result of the handheld when devs don't take different screen sizes into account.

No idea about the ergonomics because I liked what I played with in a store once. I just never got one because the system they have for using multiple switches is awful.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Never understood the point of Switch Lite besides the marketing aspect (providing a cheaper Switch to occupy the market).

The Switch isn't such a great portable, its main point is being an hybrid (hence the name...)

Making it full portable reveals all its ergonomics flaws, such as a pure home version would feel quite weird with its low computing power.

But as a console that can be played on the big screen or in the bed/when travelling/etc depending on your mood and/or availability, it's convenient to the point it outshines its limitations.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, I did, for a hundred hours

Xenoblade wasn't a looker on Wii when it released, the impressiveness was always the scale of the world on a weak system not the visual fidelity

Even then, the scale is just lost on a tiny screen to me. Dolphin did help the visuals quite a bit as well.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can upgrade to the Switch. I stopped using the Lite entirely after upgrading to that GOAT

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I think your milage will differ greatly on the lite depending on if you have small hands or not. I think it's a smidge on the small side, but the analogs are way better than the VITA's. OG switch is great; but the screen on the lite is perfect for the resolution output of 720 or indie....next switch or Pro will have potential to be perfect though. Although this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I always tell people to take the Lite back to store and get the other Switch

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Never tried the Lite, but I didn't like the regular Switch in handheld, it was just not nice for me to hold. I 3D printed a grip I found on Thingiverse at work that let me slide the Switch into it and it felt like a very long Xbox controller and was SO much better.

Edit: This was the one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2234489

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Mainly I don't know why they didn't adjust the right analog stick position so that it's diagonal from the buttons. Having it be directly below the buttons is terrible and one of the main reasons I use the Hori Split Pad Pro in portable mode. I can put up with the shoulder and trigger buttons on the Joy-Cons in portable mode, but I really find the right analog stick extremely uncomfortable and inconvenient, even just as a camera stick in Mario Odyssey.

I get that in the regular switch they needed to keep it that way cause the Joy-Cons become little controllers for multiplayer stuff, but on the Switch Lite there's no reason they couldn't have moved stuff around a bit. They already replaced the left side buttons with a d-pad, no reason to not also shift the placement of the d-pad and right analog stick a bit. I'd rather the system be a few millimeters wider than have that uncomfortable positioning. It's not like they kept that awful vertical placement for the Pro Controller.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It will probably be my favorite by the end of the gen, if it's not already. Small and easier to carry around, better battery than my launch unit Switch, and most games are fine resolution wise.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a lite, but a grip greatly increased my comfort when playing my phat Switch.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
OP, the OG switch has a bigger screen and that doesn't solve the small text issue. It's not the hardware, the game developers who are lazy to optimize theirs games for handheld mode. As for ergonomics, I don't think there a modern handheld console that has good ergonomics, my OG switch hurts my wrist. My kid has a lite and I bought him grips from skull and co. and its handles nice.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
The Switch Lite is imo very ergonomic and feels great in the hands. The OG Switch almost feels bulky compared.
That said it does not have HD rumble and can't be connected to a TV, therefore it is inferior to the OG Switch.
But it is not a bad handheld at all, the library alone makes it one of the best.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Use mine all the time. Course, I didn't really enjoy it till I put a satisfye grip on it. Very comfortable now.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Opposite here, my hands are bunked up from a life of labor, the weight difference between the normal and the lite is well enough for me to play and not have any issues. I find a lot of text in games to small for me to ever read on my tv, the switch I can hold up to my face. A nice modest grip helped a ton with the ergonomics. I don't think I've ever had a Nintendo handheld I didn't have to add some ergonomic case to.

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I don't get why the analogs sucks so much even in the normal switch. Why they didn't do them like in the 3ds?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You missed the most important part - local multiplayer in handheld mode is maybe the worst of any handheld. So both you and friend own a Switch and a copy of Mortal Kombat 11 and want to play some matches? Well, you'd have to play online (which is not free anymore) since there's no wireless multiplayer built in, since Switch games are often "console games on the go", quite literally.
That's highly selective, as there are plenty of titles on the eShop that support local wireless. It's up to the developer, not Nintendo to provide local wireless play support.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
100% disagree with the OP. I have my Switch Lite as my main Switch because it's ergonomic and the perfect size for me (I have fairly large hands). The only other handheld with ergonomics to match is the PSP.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Just remember, the Virtua Boy was considered "Portable" at the time.

So it could be much, much much worse.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
it has the biggest screen of a portable ever, behind the OG Switch, how can it be the WORST for being too small?

Text size is a huge problem on Switch.

Text size isn't really the consoles fault. Developers need to adjust that sort of stuff to make sure it's readable while playing portable.
But unfortunately they don't, which makes the Switch a bad choice for portable gaming.

It's easily the best handheld and between my base Switch and Lite, the Lite get used way more. Sounds like you might have big hands and struggling eyesight, try a base Switch.
Yeah it's absolutely the user's eyes' fault, that explains above comparison.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
A friend lent his Psvita to me for a month more or less, it felt great
sometime later I bought a 3DS and that thing felt horrible, it was like a shoebox with 0 ergonomics

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I only play dock. Handheld is ok for small stuff like captain toad but smash I gotta play on the tv

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Haven't used a Lite but if it's anything remotely like the Switch undocked, it's absolutely dreadful. The horrendous analog sticks make games like NSMBUD or any 2D games that require precision an awful experience.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Wow. Horrible and pretty much displays the huge problem this thing has.
I made a whole thread about this. It's ridiculous.

www.resetera.com

Fire Emblem Three Houses has ridiculously small Text (Update: Kotaku Article)

-- Now with Threadmarks! -- Fire Emblem Awakening (2013) vs Fire Emblem Three Houses (2019). Notice how the dialogue boxes of both games are almost the same size? Yet the text on Switch is tiny compared to 3DS. Look at the amount of blank space in the textbox. When the textbox (not the...

The best comment was this one:

LMAO. I was just out playing this game on my porch. I'm looking through a list of students when an ant crawls onto my screen.
The ant itself was literally bigger than some student's whole names. If the ant had crawled over Hubert's name, it could have covered his name entirely with its body.

tinytextp1kj6.jpg

This is my Switch. I put a US 5 cent piece on the screen.
Note how the text on the damn coin is larger than the text on the screen. I didn't even notice until I was taking the picture.
See Hubert, Caspar, and Petra on that list there? Any of their names names could fit entirely onto the Switch's tiny tiny face buttons, at that font size. That is not a joke, just look.

It's l i t e r a l l y tiny text for ants.

It's really cool that you've got 20/10 vision, I'm pretty jealous. Unfortunately, for all too many of us non-Kryptonians, text that's smaller and less legible than what you'd find on a US coin ain't gonna cut it.

I had big problems with screen size and reading Hades things, but that's not a switch lite problem to begin with. That's a Switch problem, being an hybrid where devs just port tv games and think "they'll manage to play it in portable mode anyway"

I remember complaining about some games on Switch targeting a descent enough rez docked with unacceptable rez in portable mode.

This was always the same problem.
Nintendo should have done a little something (if they even could) when designing the console and sending dev kits. They should have made mandatory that games had to be designed first for a portable, the docked mode being a bonus. Everything should be optimized (clarity, performances) for the portable first.
Absolutely agreed.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
That's highly selective, as there are plenty of titles on the eShop that support local wireless. It's up to the developer, not Nintendo to provide local wireless play support.
The end result is the same. This is something we never had to worry about with any other handheld.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I love the Switch Lite. In fact, I regularly think about how it is the best portable device ever made.

I pretty much disagree with every part of the OP. It feels great in my hands (much better than the OG Switch), and I think the screen is perfectly sized for many of the games I play on the Switch. There are plenty of console-first games on the Switch, but in my opinion many of Nintendo's first party games and countless indies don't lose much when played off of the television.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I think the OP gets some things right, but his two games are ACNH and NSMBU which don't really match up to the key complaints. Neither of those require any complex hand movement and the text relative to screen size is gigantic.

Personally, I prefer the form factor and screen size of the Lite, but I'd rather they try making the unit smaller eventually, without sacrificing (too much of) the screen size. I much prefer the OG Switch + Pro Controller for 3d games however.

WebSwingKing

Oct 15, 2019
Oh man the switch lite God what a time I had with that system.... First I got a turquoise one with a horrible dpad on launch day. Couldn't register diagonals so in Street figher hadukens were impossible. Even games like lttp couldn't walk diagonally. It was ridiculous and I couldn't believe that the system would ship like that. I sent it to nintendo, they replaced the console and dpad was perfect. I was pretty happy with it up until a couple of months ago when I got joycon drift. Because of covid I couldn't send it in so I tried fixing it myself and it worked but then the minus button broke. I ended up just getting a new full on switch and selling the lite later on when I got it fixed. It really is a great system but because of quality control if anyone were choosing between the two..,..no don't do it just get a regular switch trust me.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Text size is a huge problem on Switch.

But unfortunately they don't, which makes the Switch a bad choice for portable gaming.

Yeah it's absolutely the user's eyes' fault, that explains above comparison.

Oof yeah there's no excuse for text to be that small on the Switch. I wonder if the lower resolution screen of the 3DS forced developers to make their text larger? Either way, if someone with 20/20 vision has to strain to read text theres issues

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not only does the size of text and such cause eyestrain, but I find the colours of the buttons and plastic around clash so horribly with the screen it's impossible to focus on (I have a grey one). Add to that an overall cheaply squishy feeling to the buttons compared to the standard Switch and control sticks that feel flimsy, and you have a technologically amazing device that is as much use to me as a paperweight.

I'll be selling mine soon.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Hard disagree OP. I own three different switches (launch / revision / lite), and the lite is by far my favourite for day-to-day gaming.

I mostly play it alongside my wife while she watches trash on tv, and have been fortunate not to suffer any hand or joint pain (yet!).

Ultimately, I have the Series X / PS5 if I want the bells and whistles video game experience; the Switch Lite services all other gaming needs.