• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does your Switch Lite have d-pad issues (esp. with diagonal inputs)?

• I have/had a Turquoise without d-pad issues

Votes: 57 27.9%
  • I have/had a Turquoise WITH d-pad issues

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • I have/had a Yellow without d-pad issues

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have/had a Yellow WITH d-pad issues

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • I have/had a Grey without d-pad issues

Votes: 50 24.5%
  • I have/had a Grey WITH d-pad issues

Votes: 20 9.8%
  • I never had to exchange a Lite for D-pad issues

Votes: 40 19.6%

• Total voters

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I have to try a bit but I very much can, somewhat consistently, get an upward input out of the right button.

Holy shit, man. This might just be the worst D-pad ever. Wow. Fucking, wow.

Have you ever owned a small squishy dpad device? GBA, DS Lite, Wii or Gamecube? Sounds like you're not used to it. Understandable, we haven't had one in years, especially more problematic small ones.

Just use it a lots, you'll find it becoming more responsive in passing days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have you ever owned a small squishy dpad device? GBA, DS Lite, Wii or Gamecube? Sounds like you're not used to it. Understandable, we haven't had one in years, especially more problematic small ones.

Just use it a lots, you'll find it becoming more responsive in passing days.
None of those, no, but this is also the first I hear of diagonals being bad on squishy d-pads.

I sincerely hope you are right.

Dude, it's a Nintendo issue. Just get it fixed with them instead of slagging the retailer.
They're the ones who are selling it, lol

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
I opened my grey unit twenty minutes ago; panicked a bit after playing around in the input test menu until I realised that there's no dedicated icon for diagonals.

After linking my account and downloading LTTP as per the OP's suggestion, it turns out I've been blessed with a perfectly functioning D-Pad. So that's nice.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good thing I held off on buying a Switch Lite at launch

I'll just wait until Animal Crossing releases to see if Nintendo smooths out these control issues

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, my Switch Lite is mostly for visual novels and RPGs, so even if mine's not perfect, I'm probably keeping it.

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think the last poll question is a bit odd, if you haven't had to exchange a Lite for Dpad issues doesn't that just fall under "I have xxxx with no dpad issues"?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
honestly the thing keeping from buying a switch or a lite is all the era talk about bad dpads and joycon drifting.

especially since one of my main plans for it would be streetfighter. as such, a bad dpad is a killer to my interest.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Did the dpad test with LTTP and it seems to be working just fine with the diagonals, maybe with the Down+Right direction I have to a make a little bit more pressure but honestly it's really hard to notice it, I would have never known if I wasn't looking for it. Feels like a normal dpad IMO, I'm pretty satisfied with it. No dead pixel or drift problem at all. Turquoise color.

The console in general feels amazing.

I want to say something tho, this poll makes no sense, even if it was related to color it wouldn't mean a thing because there's a chance more people are buying one colour than the other, so how can you possibly get anything worth from this?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to buying a heavily discounted refurbished lite, with all these exchanges yall are doing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it turns out that the button check in the settings was not actually reliable...

Due to my current living arrangements I could not connect to the internet to download ALttP on my latest Switch, and I just figured out a way to get internet access on my Switch, and holy shit, the dpad actually works perfectly well even if the input check menu doesn't.

Editing this into the OP as we speak.

I think the last poll question is a bit odd, if you haven't had to exchange a Lite for Dpad issues doesn't that just fall under "I have xxxx with no dpad issues"?
Yes.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it turns out that the button check in the settings was not actually reliable...

Due to my current living arrangements I could not connect to the internet to download ALttP on my latest Switch, and I just figured out a way to get internet access on my Switch, and holy shit, the dpad actually works perfectly well even if the input check menu doesn't.

Editing this into the OP as we speak.

Yes.
Yeah, the input check doesn't really do anything for diagonals. It's just to test if up-down-left-right are working.

Glad to hear your new one works perfectly.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I will wait until this is flattened and fixed on upcoming revisions. I want a yellow one.
I look forward to buying a heavily discounted refurbished lite, with all these exchanges yall are doing.
Latamel will still sell those refurbished at full price here, just with a sticker on the box that says "Unidad Reacondicionada

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I want to say something tho, this poll makes no sense, even if it was related to color it wouldn't mean a thing because there's a chance more people are buying one colour than the other, so how can you possibly get anything worth from this?
Different colors are made in different batches and possibly even in different places. So it can easily show if one color was put together better than another.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So unrelated but has been brought up in the thread, another user messaged me about the issue and even posted their video up a little after it. Gonna repost it here for them. And yes, it's the joycon drift issue:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Nintendo is unbelievable. I'll keep my Switch for now even though I really wanted a Lite :/ At least I've gotten somewhat used to the directional buttons, and I haven't had drifting issues since using the contact cleaner method...

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Different colors are made in different batches and possibly even in different places. So it can easily show if one color was put together better than another.

How could it possibly show that when you don't have the same sample for all sources?

Let's put it this way (Totally made up numbers just for the example), if you have 300 Switch units and 200 from those are grey ones, 80 are yellow and the rest are Turquoise, you would get a lot more reports of bad dpads from the gray ones just because there are more people buying that one in the original sample.

So unrelated but has been brought up in the thread, another user messaged me about the issue and even posted their video up a little after it. Gonna repost it here for them. And yes, it's the joycon drift issue:

Could you ask him if he can try the same from the calibration menu? It would be really good to have a video of how it looks there.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like it has been ages since Nintendo prodcuts really had an almost guaranteed quality to them. The GameCube and original DS were build to survive abuse and now things have issues right out of the box. It seems like things started going downhill with the Wii that had issues.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've got a yellow unit, and while diagonals are a little harder than I'm used to, I can definitely input them with a little adjustment.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Got a yellow. No problems. Dpad is fantastic. Can even handle the abuse of kof inputs. Loving it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I despise the Pro Controller d-pad, both the lunch model and a Smash Bro's version I have. Wonky inputs galor. First impressions of my turquoise lite fucking around in ALTTP and everything seems real solid. At minimum, it's way better than the Pro controller.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
His conclusion is that the dpad's too low causing him to miss the between NSEW directions as his thumb hits the system when trying them.

This might be my issue with my second Lite. My first was clearly a bad d-pad.

I don't love this one but having large hands with low d-pad placement isn't optimal. The Vita ergonomics are fantastic in comparison (for me). Of course the thumbstick and button placement works well as located.

Oct 25, 2017
This might be my issue with my second Lite. My first was clearly a bad d-pad.

I don't love this one but having large hands with low d-pad placement isn't optimal. The Vita ergonomics are fantastic in comparison (for me). Of course the thumbstick and button placement works well as located.
His problem was actually how low the pad is to the system, the actual height of the pad, not where it is on the console.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
How could it possibly show that when you don't have the same sample for all sources?

Let's put it this way (Totally made up numbers just for the example), if you have 300 Switch units and 200 from those are grey ones, 80 are yellow and the rest are Turquoise, you would get a lot more reports of bad dpads from the gray ones just because there are more people buying that one in the original sample.

It's not about the number of people that have it with each color. It's about the ratio of problems/no problems for each. 9 people have problems with the yellow, and 18 don't. That's 33% of yellow users with dpad problems. 10 people have problems with the gray and 23 don't. That's 30% of gray users. These two together are a pretty consistent number of problems (though we would obviously have a more accurate idea with a higher sample size).

But only 5 turqoise users are reporting problems, with 31 not having any issue. That's only 13% of turquoise users with dpad problems.