• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can the Switch still get its own Monster Hunter game?

• Yes, Capcom won't leave that Switch money on the table

Votes: 354 33.1%
  • No, high-end home consoles are the future of Monster Hunter, not portables

Votes: 483 45.1%
  • Enough Monster Hunter, where is Ace Attorney?

Votes: 234 21.8%

• Total voters

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What i get from this threads is the same shit as always

When the monhun games were Nintendo exclusives, it was all "Monhun shouldn't remain exclusive. Relase it on another platforms! Release a monhun on Vita!"

And now that it has been released on every single platform ouside of Nintendo, it's all fine and dandy.

Well, fuck that noise.

Not even then comments stating that World can't be downported make any sense. How many times have we been there, guys? I'm close to losing the count.

As for the question in place, i have lost hope already. It's been too much time, Capcom hasn't shown interest in releasing anything current gen on Switch. Hell they won't evwn update RE4 to add gyro aiming.

Honestly fuck them, and fuck the "Multiplatform is good if Switch isn't involved" crowd.
For some reason people think their games will become less enjoyable if there is a version for switch, I will never understand this.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Already said it in a previous post, and I won't do quotes because there'd be too many in one post, but...

- Why do some people think that Capcom working on one would mean they're not working on a next-gen one? That's not how game development works for big companies, and not how Capcom has ever worked for MH (or even for RE if you want to use the argument that the games weren't as big before, even though MH4U has 682 people in its credits and Gen had 650).
- The argument that they wouldn't do that because it'd cause lower sales doesn't make sense when it'd still sell more than most of their games and would be less expensive than World to make. Capcom, like many other companies, also search for more revenue sources, not less.
You can bet that World 2 will sell less than World 1, that doesn't mean they won't make it. They'll change their pipeline and design for better profit and more sequels/expansions/spinoffs/dlc.
- The argument that a Switch exclusive would be a mistake is kinda linked to that, even though nobody really says that it should be exclusive. Capcom has shown this gen that they have different expectations in terms of userbase depending on the platform, even if X game would run perfectly well on more platforms. On top of that, there's design and marketing issues that could lower the image of this game (graphics, scope, etc). But again, no, there's no-one saying it should be an exclusive.
- The "it won't run on Switch!" argument doesn't make sense if the game is made from the ground-up for Switch (be it on MT Framework that they still use, on UE4, or something else like a "mini" version of RE Engine like when they've made one for MT Framework in the past for similar purposes). World is an unoptimized mess, and the idea of a port left a long time ago. That's not what people are asking for.
- Again, no, most of the team members of the MH Division don't work on a single game. Or hell, Capcom as a whole. Compare game credits at Capcom to get an idea.
The MH4 leads were on World and now on World 2. The GU leads have been on Iceborne. The Generation/Portable leads haven't been on something in a good while.

The only valid argument is that Capcom's Switch support is pretty underwhelming (to be polite) and that it's hard to see them do that because that'd mean they actually care about the platform. Then again, we've seen bigger reversals than that in terms of support, even recently (like Atlus porting Catherine to Switch with a lot of care, 2K's support, EA slowly coming back, etc).

Do the old rumors about MH Switch make sense? Yes. Is it fine to think it won't happen? Sure.
But it's ridiculous to think it won't happen while talking about the 5 "arguments" above.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope MH releases on Switch. It would be good for the franchise, good for the fans, and good for Capcom. But I don't have much faith in them.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand the hardliners that are against MH on Switch. MHW and Iceborne are on current system. Next-Gen MH will exist either way and is likely already being worked on.

Capcom has managed the MH IP very well for the last 15 years, they know what they are doing.

MH Switch in 21, while the next-gen consoles get a World/Iceborne upgrade to hold them over until MHW 2 hits in 2022/23.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The business case is 6 to 8 million copies sold and a hand held team not accounted for. I don't see a logical reason for it not to happen but Capcom has defied logic many times so I'm not that sure anymore. I still think it makes too much sense for it not to happen.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The business case is 6 to 8 million copies sold and a hand held team not accounted for. I don't see a logical reason for it not to happen but Capcom has defied logic many times so I'm not that sure anymore. I still think it makes too much sense for it not to happen.
Assuming development didn't start until 2017 or early 2018, the game may just be entering final phase and could be announced.

It's honestly premature to make any conclusions on MH at this point.
It's also completely possible Sony paid to make sure Switch gets no MH, just as Nintendo made sure MH was not on Vita. I mean that's business.

What I don't undersand are people who are unecessarily hostile towards Capcom. They are pretty agnostic and has a history of supporting Nintendo, sometimes better sometimes less so, but there was never no support unlike say.. EA. There's zero evidence to suggest malice. It's just business and we probably should still thank them for pushing Nintendo to add 1 extra GB to the Switch because all those impossible ports would likely be impossible with a 3GB Switch.

Let's just move on and see what Capcom's slate for 2020-2021 is like for Switch whenever they decide to announce it.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
CoD, GTA and Madden don't have a history of repeated record sales on Nintendo systems. Monster Hunter posted huge sales on a yearly basis on the Switch's immediate predecessor, and it's a more popular system than even that. No MH on Switch is in an entirely different league of bad decisions.
I agree with what you said. I just feel this is one of the best time for third parties to jump in. So many people are having success on the platform. A cod which gets yearly games not being on switch is a travesty.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shame we won't get one but MHGU is SO stackes with 1000s of hours of content.

It is even on a deep sale as we speak!!

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's not good enough if it's not exclusive?

At least anything MH related gets released on Switch when clearly Capcom's current vision for the series lies in a place the Switch simply can't go as things currently stand.

Better than nothing... and better than the shit sandwich Capcom tries to feed Switch owners with other series like DMC.

When the monhun games were Nintendo exclusives, it was all "Monhun shouldn't remain exclusive. Relase it on another platforms! Release a monhun on Vita!"

lmao... if by "it was all" you mean in the old place that "anyone that was asking for a MH game on Vita was shouted down and shit on relentlessly by the vast majority of the community" then yes... "it was all" indeed!

Miss my ass with the revisionist history.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is breaking record sales on Monhun world too and Switch is a weak hardware so probably not. They should develop 2 Monhun though, phone version + Switch and consoles + pc for maximum money

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I dunno. I guess it depends entirely on if Capcom has the resources to develop a spinoff for Switch without it impacting World 2.

It is a bit of an awkward time since MHW2 will already prolly be a cross-gen title and has to support live service for 2 gens + PC (simul release this time I'd wager) which might already require some more manpower than MHW did.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I think a dialed-back port of World (or an all new game built with World's philosophies) would do really well on the console, like how Portable did on the PSP for years. As great as World is, it would be a shame if the series never saw a proper return to a portable platform.

Jun 23, 2019

I don't think anyone is silly enough to think that there won't be a Switch MH because there will be. However, it's going to be a portable experience. Switch is not powerful enough to run MHW, end of story. The HD consoles will get the high end version and Switch will get the tailored version. Everyone wins.

What i get from this threads is the same shit as always

And now that it has been released on every single platform ouside of Nintendo, it's all fine and dandy.

Well, fuck that noise.

Not even then comments stating that World can't be downported make any sense. How many times have we been there, guys? I'm close to losing the count.

As for the question in place, i have lost hope already. It's been too much time, Capcom hasn't shown interest in releasing anything current gen on Switch. Hell they won't evwn update RE4 to add gyro aiming.

Honestly fuck them, and fuck the "Multiplatform is good if Switch isn't involved" crowd.

Lol This is some revisionism and persecution complex rolled up into one. When MH was Nintendo exclusive, the usual Media Create crew shouted down and reported anyone who brought up MH coming to Vita or any other platform. The excuses were plentiful. "Capcom doesn't want to split the user base! A console MH would never sell in Japan or WW! Nintendo is paying for MH advertising so it will never leave Nintendo! Capcom doesn't want to spend the money to create high quality assets for a HD MH!" The moment MHW came out and crushed every entry before it, those same people got awfully quiet. Nintendo will get their MH version for Switch, but it's not going to be a MHW downport that you think is somehow so easy a caveman could do it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Was this ever proven?
It wasn't. A Capcom Europe executive started the rumour as they hypothesised 'will probably come to both handhelds', while not having anything concrete.
www.gamespot.com

Capcom exec hints at Monster Hunter for PS Vita, 3DS

Publisher's European COO says multiplayer action game will "probably" come to both handhelds, confirms at least four games in the pipe for Sony's next-generation portable.

"I think down the road, you could probably see a Monster Hunter iteration somewhere. Probably on both of them," Reeves said in reference to the new generation of portables. While Reeves specified that there were no concrete plans to that effect that he was aware of, the topic was also touched on elsewhere, when discussing Capcom's initial support for the PS Vita."

2 years later, chief operating officer Haruhiro Tsujimoto said
"Games have ideal release periods, which also determine when their development begins. This resulted in our judgment of seeing the 3DS as the most desirable [platform for Monster Hunter 4]."
www.google.co.uk

Capcom Says Currently No Plans For Monster Hunter 4 On PlayStation Vita - Siliconera

Capcom COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto discusses Monster Hunter and the company's future development plans for their games.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I don't think anyone is silly enough to think that there won't be a Switch MH because there will be. However, it's going to be a portable experience. Switch is not powerful enough to run MHW, end of story. The HD consoles will get the high end version and Switch will get the tailored version. Everyone wins.

im gonna take a guess you're not talking in good faith here with that 'everyone wins' stuff, like really relishing that Switch isn't getting the 'real version'. your post comes off as very resentful for some reason

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think MH World can work in Switch and even less having crossplay with other systems.

Maybe another game?I'm sure they are considering it though.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Took PS4/XBO 3-4 years to receive their first new MH game. Same will be true for Switch.

Gotta love how this is being framed as if whatever Switch would get would be some low-tier spin-off like the Wii used to get compared to the PS360 titles. "Portable experience" compared to the "real" "big boy high end" versions.

As if the Portable and Main Series didnt use to run side by side in the past. MHP3 hit the PSP after MH Tri was released on Switch. The game was massive and the core MH experience is the same across these games - its not suddenly play any different than regular MH games just because its on Switch, even with portability being a big factor.

It might be that Capcom gimps the Switch release much more compared to past Portable vs. Mainline iterations but i dont think thats likely and why they would wanna half-ass it considering the sales potential and its probably being the only MH Switch title for this generation. They are likely looking to deliver a game that can sell like a evergreen on Switch and Switch 2 for years to come.

Jun 2, 2019
Switch is not powerful enough to run MHW, end of story.

Switch is not powerful enough to run Rocket League, end of story.

Switch is not powerful enough to run Doom, end of story

Switch is not powerful enough to run Wolfenstein 2, end of story

Switch is not powerful enough to run Wolfenstein Youngblood, end of story

Switch is not powerful enough to run The Witcher 3, end of story

And I'm probably missing two or three "end of the story" here.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

We're about to enter next gen and even during current-gen, Switch was underpowered compared to PS4/XB1. Don't know about you, but i'd like an eventual MHW2 to be a next-gen game, which means Nintendo needs to rapidly start thinking of a next-gen system of their own before third party support will be even more barren than today.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I really really really hope they don't port MHW and instead do an original game for it. I would love to play MH portably but not the game I already poured hundreds of hours into but now at low/sub-native resolution, worse frame rate and overall worse image quality. The PC version already has a setting that makes it look like a 3DS game (Max LOD -1). So I'm sure they can do it. I'd just rather they committed to a sharp looking original game instead of proving that MHW can be om Switch. I believe it! Unless they allow you to transfer your save, I really don't see the added value. The vast majority of MH fans probably already bought that game on another system.

Jun 23, 2019
im gonna take a guess you're not talking in good faith here with that 'everyone wins' stuff, like really relishing that Switch isn't getting the 'real version'. your post comes off as very resentful for some reason

lol It's resentful because everyone gets to play MH? Odd.

Ok, we'll see how long you'll be waiting for that downport to happen, wise guy. 👌🏾

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why one would give up hope on Switch MonHun until Ichinose shows up in a game's credits.

There's clearly multiple teams at Capcom working on MonHun. A Switch game happening doesn't mean your next gen iteration isn't also happening.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Capcom had multiple MH creative teams, even before it became the sales juggernaut it is now. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom's internal goal is to have a new MH game or expansion every year; they've come pretty close to that over the last decade.

The IP warrants more than one game every ~4 years from the MHW team. The franchise has long had parallel series. Another series is going to happen, and a Switch-first series seems like a logical way to both reach distinguish the series from MHW and reach the handheld audience that previous installments built.

Last edited:

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stealth port beg thread? Lol

it always happens when people make threads like this. I bet you in a week or so capcom will have their e3 switch surprise annucement be a new mh game probably mh5 or something. Some people happy others mad, and 100 page on the front page.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017

it always happens when people make threads like this. I bet you in a week or so capcom will have their e3 switch surprise annucement be a new mh game probably mh5 or something. Some people happy others mad, and 100 page on the front page.

Insider baiting thread, and it worked.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

So discussing the possibility of a MH game on Switch in a thread specifically made about that topic is "stealth port begging" now ? Its a) no port begging and b) nothing is stealth about, its an open discussion.

Some people get really sensitive when big franchises landing on Switch gets discussed or are a possibility.
In the past the port begging rule was set in place to keep people from messing up announcements threads, especially for plattform exclusives.

Nowadays people use the portbegging accusations for massive multiplattform titles that are or have been on multiple systems including PC - just because Switch is mentioned.

You wouldnt get this kind of post for any other popular gaming plattform - we are already and gonna see plenty of threads about games, remakes and series that should and need to come on PS5/SX and so on. No one is gonna bat an eye because its really not a big deal - same shit for Switch and we get " oh another stealth port begging thread lol" ....

MHW/Iceborne are already on PS4/XBox/PC.
MHWW2/6thGen will be on PS5/XSX/PC.

There is no need to be stressed out about discussions for a potential portable game between those mainline titles.

Jun 2, 2019
Ok, we'll see how long you'll be waiting for that downport to happen, wise guy. 👌🏾

Let's leave something clear

At times, i despise MonHunWorld and its dumbed down, westernised nature with literal handholding bugs fucking up exploration, i want am honest to good classic Monster Hunter on Switch

However, im fucking tired of the "Switch can't move x game, period" wich has been proven wrong time and time again and, after the last one, just feel more like dumb trolling than anything else.

That's my point. Your categoric affirmation of Switch not being able to move a game that is one generation behind design wise has been proven wrong several times. There's nothing in MonHunWorld that takes genuine advantage of current gen consoles besides graphics.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
But why have one overwhelming success when you can have two? because with a switch release they could easily reach half of the sales of World even with it being exclusive

Because time and money is not infinite, even for big corporations, whatever some people in here might think. Plus your "easily half the sales of World" claim is dubious (not necessarily untrue) at best when the best selling entry until now has less than one third of the sales of World.

In reality, a new Switch entry is probably readied as we speak by the GU team, but please let's not act as if Switch downports are something that can be done overnight by a few guys in a garage somewhere. The specific World case has been adressed by someone else earlier on. There's probably some kind of exclusivity in place.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
Let's leave something clear

At times, i despise MonHunWorld and its dumbed down, westernised nature with literal handholding bugs fucking up exploration, i want am honest to good classic Monster Hunter on Switch

However, im fucking tired of the "Switch can't move x game, period" wich has been proven wrong time and time again and, after the last one, just feel more like dumb trolling than anything else.

That's my point. Your categoric affirmation of Switch not being able to move a game that is one generation behind design wise has been proven wrong several times. There's nothing in MonHunWorld that takes genuine advantage of current gen consoles besides graphics.

I have to say the exploration has always been such a chore in this serie that scouflies are the least of my problems.
It just steamlines something that is already uninteresting.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom really doesn't like the Switch for some reason. Have they made even one game for it yet? I swear it's basically all ports and remasters. It's quite a shame, really.