• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I'm a long distance runner who has the misfortune of living in Canada. That means come winter time the darkness, cold and ice can make most days unsafe for running. So this year I decided to buy a treadmill so I could maintain my running schedule during winter.

At first I stuck to watching films while running on it. But that wasn't enough and I got bored easily. A great many times I was tempted to glance down at the timer, hoping my run was almost over. It didn't help that the loud sounds of the treadmill ruined the atmosphere in most films.

Then I remembered the Switch controller could be split into two and be used with two hands. Just maybe I thought this could work.

Well it did! Wonderfully!

Playing some MK11 and Smash made my 50 minute 10k runs go by in a jiffy. I was enjoying myself so much I began to increase my run lengths to my more usual outdoor lengths of 15k. My brain was so focused on the games I stopped getting bored and was no longer taking glances at the timer.

I'm loving my workouts so much now I bought Overwatch and Dead by Daylight so I would have more than just two games to play. Sure on account of me running at a brisk pace sweating my ass off I play terribly on all 4 games, but I'm having fun and staying fit.

I highly recommend this setup to any runners or fitness freaks out there.

If you're already doing this do you have any recommendations for games that are a good fit for the split joycon setup?

13b.gif

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI or Witcher 3 seem like great candidates for passing time while running. I attempted this but the treadmills at my apartment gym have no safe place to put the screen. Would do it if I had my own treadmill.

Oct 25, 2017
I play it on a stationary bike and the body movements throw me off... And you're here playing Smash on it while *running*?!

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
I highly recomend you ryhtim games and bluetooth headphones, Did that with super beat xonic and it was a very good run.

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I play it on a stationary bike and the body movements throw me off... And you're here playing Smash on it while *running*?!

Even without the running I suck at Smash so it's not like it's a huge downgrade. I mostly am grinding through the Spirit mode when playing Smash. When I do play online I get my ass handed to me. My win rate is like around 10-15%.

I highly recomend you ryhtim games and bluetooth headphones, Did that with super beat xonic and it was a very good run.

Does the Switch support Bluetooth adapters? If it does I did not know that.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
Even without the running I suck at Smash so it's not like it's a huge downgrade. I mostly am grinding through the Spirit mode when playing Smash. When I do play online I get my ass handed to me. My win rate is like around 10-15%.

Does the Switch support Bluetooth adapters? If it does I did not know that.

yes auxiliary 3.5 to bluetooth and also usb c to bluetooth but that last one wont work in docked mode

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Sounds like a sweaty screen and sweaty hands to drop it

I'm not using the Switch in handheld mode. I'm using it docked with a joycon in each hand. But yes my hands do get sweaty. Thankfully I haven't dropped a joycon yet.

yes auxiliary 3.5 to bluetooth and also usb c to bluetooth but that last one wont work in docked mode

Hmmm. I believe I have a bluetooth adapter hidden somewhere. I will try and see if it works with my jaybird earbuds. At leas then my workouts won't be so loud and annoying for others in my house.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
How? You're still running and, unless you're one of those who runs weird, your arms will be moving too. I couldn't do it tbh, more power to you if you actually can pull it off.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
I've biked on a stationary and ran on a treadmill before. I'm not cranking out 10K in an hour like you, but at low speeds it's pretty doable and makes the time pass by SUPER fast.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I would attempt it on a treadmill, but it's great for exercise bikes. There are a decent number of recumbent bikes where the display stand can hold a Switch perfectly. Sometimes I play grindy RPGs (like Pokemon) on it, and the time absolutely flies by.

But Civilization VI is the king of the "mindless biking game". Always surprised when I look at the timer how long I'd been going at it.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
I'm doing almost the same for more than 2 years now, played over 100 hours of Rocket League online on the stationary bike. Also some Mario kart 8 deluxe here and there. Those games absolutely work great in the gym. Tried Smash and Zelda before but they don't keep me motivated enough.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I played the entirety of FFX HD on Vita while using an exercise bike to get ready for my wedding day. The exercise time flew by. Was amazing. 45 hours + spent on a bike. I forced myself to never be allowed to play it unless I was on the bike.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
No offense, but I don't see how that's possible unless you're going pretty slowly. I use a treadmill and elliptical cycle 3-4 times a week, and I'd fall off if I did that.

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
How? You're still running and, unless you're one of those who runs weird, your arms will be moving too. I couldn't do it tbh, more power to you if you actually can pull it off.

My arms moving has no effect on using two seperate joycons. Though when I first booted up Overwatch it had gyro-aiming turned on by default. Now that was a fucking mess. Made the game impossible to use when running. My character was jerking their weapon like a maniac. lol

No offense, but I don't see how that's possible unless you're going pretty slowly. I use a treadmill and elliptical cycle 3-4 times a week, and I'd fall off if I did that.

I'm not running that fast. My average running paces for these 10-15k runs are around 5'05". Sometimes I'll be going as fast as 4'50". But that's rare. I'm a much faster runner when doing it outside. I feel much safer on the bike trail then on my treadmill that's for sure.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I play Tetris 99 while on the stationary bike. It's good for mind and body. And it's a great way to stay in shape.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried this, but I found that it really didn't work well for anything except grinding in turn-based games; I lacked the coordination to play anything that required much in the way of reflexes while running full-tilt, and obviously anything with motion controls was right out. Have been curious if it would work better with a stationary bike. I remember being able to play PSP while on a stationary bike back in college (though, again, mostly just with turn-based games).

plake

Nov 3, 2017
Heh, I've had this idea for the longest time but never went and bought a Switch to try it. I might just do that. Glad to hear it seems to be working for most of you!

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
ha i did the same thing for a while. I bought ARMS just to play while jogging on treadmill. it's a great workout but not conducive to long distance runs. I also played a lot of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which worked better.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My arms moving has no effect on using two seperate joycons. Though when I first booted up Overwatch it had gyro-aiming turned on by default. Now that was a fucking mess. Made the game impossible to use when running. My character was jerking their weapon like a maniac. lol

I'm not running that fast. My average running paces for these 10-15k runs are around 5'05". Sometimes I'll be going as fast as 4'50". But that's rare. I'm a much faster runner when doing it outside. I feel much safer on the bike trail then on my treadmill that's for sure.
Guess I'd have to try it and see how it goes, but one of the reasons I don't find the portable aspect of the Switch that appealing is that I'd rather be completely focused and in a quiet environment, rather than somewhere like the airport, bus or whatever where I can't really feel like I'm invested into whatever I'm playing, so this would be similar to that and feel a bit weird.
Also, come on OP don't show off, those aren't slow paces and your average rookie runner doesn't even reach those times when focused on running.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Quite a few people here doing the exercise-gaming thing, cool! I don't have a Switch but I play other consoles and PC with a standing desk and treadmill. This is why I love the Steam Controller so much, it makes playing mouse-based games on a treadmill possible. I mostly speed-walk, I find it difficult to maintain focus during more serious exertion, kudos to those who can.

For those that use stationary bikes, is it easier to maintain focus even during more strenuous exercise?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
You get bored watching movies while running on a treadmill? I don't know whether to be impressed or wonder what movies you are watching.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Quite a few people here doing the exercise-gaming thing, cool! I don't have a Switch but I play other consoles and PC with a standing desk and treadmill. This is why I love the Steam Controller so much, it makes playing mouse-based games on a treadmill possible. I mostly speed-walk, I find it difficult to maintain focus during more serious exertion, kudos to those who can.

For those that use stationary bikes, is it easier to maintain focus even during more strenuous exercise?
I suppose it'd be much easier on a stationary bike, at least going by my forum browsing experience.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I wish I was able to do anything beyond listening to songs or podcasts on the treadmill. I'd probably puke immediately if I tried reading a book while running like some people do.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

yeah. that would be my problem. i actually would love to workout while playing destiny, but it doesn't really work.

i think my best idea was riding a recumbent bike while playing. haven't tried yet because i don't have a recumbent bike. i know an upright bike doesn't work cus i tried. there's still too much rhythm and moving while freehanding the controller. and destiny requires a surprising amount of concentration even doing idle things.

this is with xbox on tv not switch though btw, but i cant imagine op's idea working.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't work for me I get distracted. I have a stationary bike.

At most it's glimpses of the television or listening to music

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
You get bored watching movies while running on a treadmill? I don't know whether to be impressed or wonder what movies you are watching.

The constant noise from the treadmill ruins the atmosphere of the films too much. Watching a great film like The Farewell it gets annoying when during quiet scenes all I can hear are the treadmill motor and my breathing. Now with a film like say Jason X it doesn't matter as much as with those films. They're just junk food for my brain.

Also during slow scenes, or when watching genres like dramas I tend to slow down. It effects my pace. I need the constant rush of music or gaming to keep up the pace or else I'll fall off the treadmill.

I wish I was able to do anything beyond listening to songs or podcasts on the treadmill. I'd probably puke immediately if I tried reading a book while running like some people do.

That's me when I'm a passenger in a car. I'll start getting queasy after 10 minutes of reading or gaming. I was surprised I'm able to play games while running. Mind you all the games I'm playing have little to no reading involved. Would rather not test my limits with a game like Pokemon.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. When i go to the gym, i usually start with about 40 minutes on the elliptical so sometimes i bring my switch and sit it on the front panel and pull out the joycons and just play that way. Its a great distraction from the work out and makes the time just fly

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The constant noise from the treadmill ruins the atmosphere of the films too much. Watching a great film like The Farewell it gets annoying when during quiet scenes all I can hear are the treadmill motor and my breathing. Now with a film like say Jason X it doesn't matter as much as with those films. They're just junk food for my brain.

Also during slow scenes, or when watching genres like dramas I tend to slow down. It effects my pace. I need the constant rush of music or gaming to keep up the pace or else I'll fall off the treadmill.
I agree with this part 100%, but I could definitely not play switch without going crazy either lol. Maybe I missed it, but are you holding the entire thing or just the joycons? I could maybe see leaving the screen on the treadmill stand and just holding the joycons since they're so light

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Maybe I missed it, but are you holding the entire thing or just the joycons?

Just the joycons. It'd be nigh impossible and dangerous to hold the entire Switch when running.

Did you just called Tetris demanding yet you're playing MK11 and Smash?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong I lose 90% of my matches when playing those games. Hell my variation name for Jade is "0% Win Rate." That said at least the matches aren't over in less than a minute like they were with Puyo-Puyo Tetris. As a casual I can deal with losing as long as I feel like I had time to have fun. Constant, quick defeats demoralizes me from touching a game after a while.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've done up to 30k on the treadmill with no entertainment. When I'm on the zone I can't watch movies, play games or pay attention to anything else.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hmmm. Interesting with the split joycons. That said my pace my be too fast to focus on both things. Im bad at multitasking

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've done up to 30k on the treadmill with no entertainment. When I'm on the zone I can't watch movies, play games or pay attention to anything else.
Seriously. I know everyone is different. I can understand watching a TV in the background while running on a treadmill but actually engaging in playing a video game? You're doing your workout a disservice.

Also really? You can't stay away from playing a video game during the one time of day you exercise? lol If that isn't the reason and instead you dislike using the treadmill, then do HIIT - it'll get your ass off the thing faster and make your workout something meaningful.

OP
OP
¡ B 0 0 P !

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Holy shit! 30k on a treadmill? That's amazing!

The longest I've run outside was a 30K and my goodness did it drain me. I can't even imagine doing that on a treadmill, let alone without games or movies to distract me. Did you at least listen to some music while doing so?

Seriously. I know everyone is different. I can understand watching a TV in the background while running on a treadmill but actually engaging in playing a video game? You're doing your workout a disservice.

Also really? You can't stay away from playing a video game during the one time of day you exercise? lol If that isn't the reason and instead you dislike using the treadmill, then do HIIT - it'll get your ass off the thing faster and make your workout something meaningful.

Running is the only thing I enjoy and intend to do. Beyond some pre-run stretches. I just want to maintain my super skinny body. I don't just play games while I run, I do watch films/TV shows. I just find gaming less boring and makes the time go past faster. Plus this is a video game form, hence the focus on the Switch.

I wouldn't consider myself a gaming addict. I can go days without gaming on account of having two jobs. As it gets closer to spring, I'll wean myself off the treadmill and run outside. Nothing can beat a nice 20k run early in the morning or in the evening listening to your favourite tunes. The sights and sounds of the city never bores me.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I tried doing this once but trying to concentrate on a game while I am running just did not work and if anything made me kinda dizzy.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Holy shit! 30k on a treadmill? That's amazing!

The longest I've run outside was a 30K and my goodness did it drain me. I can't even imagine doing that on a treadmill, let alone without games or movies to distract me. Did you at least listen to some music while doing so?

When I started training for my first long distance races I use to listen to music or podcasts, but my ears would hurt after an hour so I stop listening to anything. Now my brain can keep me entertain for hours hahaha. Most races I spent the last hour trying to decide what I am going to drink when I get to the finishing line haha

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I favor the elliptical, so hands aren't free for controllers, but let's plays have gotten me through hundreds of miles at this point.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

That makes sense. At times I've watched a TV show or anime while walking, but that wasn't on a treadmill. Maybe some noise cancelling headphones would help?

Regardless I respect the ingenuity. Awesome use of the Switch! I could see that in an advertisement, ahaha.