• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2019
Let's not forget that Nintendo gave guidelines to devs about how to make an icon.

What is really, really baffling is the fact that website icons are perfectly in line with Nintendo's guidelines, while they seem allowed to put completely crap on the most important icons that "grace" our home menus.

I'm not talking about Sonic Mania or Gris, but real crap.

On a side note, even icons that have art and title in it manage to disappoint me. Dragon Quest XI for example

website icon
SQ_NSwitch_DragonQuestXI_itIT.jpg

Then there's Octopath Traveler's website icon
SQ_NSwitch_OctopathTraveler_image500w.jpg

It's so annoying...

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Let's not forget that Nintendo gave guidelines to devs about how to make an icon.

What is really, really baffling is the fact that website icons are perfectly in line with Nintendo's guidelines, while they seem allowed to put completely crap on the most important icons that "grace" our home menus.

I'm not talking about Sonic Mania or Gris, but real crap.

On a side note, even icons that have art and title in it manage to disappoint me. Dragon Quest XI for example

website icon
SQ_NSwitch_DragonQuestXI_itIT.jpg

Then there's Octopath Traveler's website icon
SQ_NSwitch_OctopathTraveler_image500w.jpg

It's so annoying...
I would've instabought octopath if that were the icon
though I think the dqxi icon we actually got is still good, even if that ones better

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, I bought To The Moon as soon as I saw it on the eShop, I didn't even think to check the icon, assuming a classy game like that would have a good one :(

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Just bought Evoland Legendary Edition because it's just 5 bucks in Europe at the moment, which is quite nice for 2 games, but now look at this.

mOSppgt.jpg

fKnFcdM.gif

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised that the discussion keeps being had. It's totally normal and understandable to want good looking icons that convey what is necessary, but outlandish, I'd say, to put too much weight behind them when making a purchasing decision. That's the part that gets people talking.
would you buy a game if the cover art was this POS?
Megaman-cover-americano-articulo-startvideojuegos.jpg

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before, but Nintendo shouldn't have made icon guidelines. They should have made icon requirements. If you own an Xbox One, you'll notice every single game icon includes the title as a part of the artwork. Even Sonic Mania. Microsoft requires this. Nintendo should do the same.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
100% yes. If I already have an interest in the game, there's no box art bad enough that can get me to pass on it. People need to put less emphasis on superficial, surface level things.
it works both ways...some people actually get to buy games they were not particularly interested in just because they found the cover art great.
It is in fact a selling point whether you like it or not.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
SQ_NSwitch_AnimalCrossingNewHorizons.jpg

DON'T get too excited, this should be the website one.

Hope it stays the same, it's beautiful.

That is the website one. Though often for Nintendo games they are the same, it's not always the case.

I can see them shifting it all down a little and making the logo bigger. Scaled, it's a bit small and touching the top of the image looks odd.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that icon made me realise that I'm really excited for Animal Crossing. I haven't properly invested in one since the Gamecube (had the DS and Wii versions but felt like they'd lost a little of the spark) - feels like this version is having a bit of weight put behind it and so should hopefully deliver.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
As I expected, the icon used on the dash for Animal Crossing has a larger logo than the website one posted previously in this thread.

4a320d37cd85f49d6e4a675b6d7b82f5ad13ae10b212d5b220fe4208c7d7c2f8.jpg

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I'm nervous that the Kunio-Kun collection icon is going to have that terribly unstylish artwork seen on the main image from the eShop (sorry I'm on my phone and can't post a pic right now). It may fit the criteria for a decent icon layout, but the series has SO much better artwork they could've pulled from. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Look, this ain't the PS4 icon thread, I know. There is no such equivalent thread for the PS4 community on here, though, and so I thought maybe you guys could give your thoughts on this icon anyway? It's very... eye-catching.

3mpZ4i3.png

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Didn't see it posted in the last few pages but I just pre-ordered Rune Factory 4 and it has no logo...

ERZMUUb-UEAEUs-Qv.jpg