• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Resi 4 got an update to 1.0.1 recently.

No, they didn't change the icon :P

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You guys have opinions. Help us out.

The question is which layout. The lettering is definitely not final, and will probably be white ;)

Edit

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You guys have opinions. Help us out.

The question is which layout. The lettering is definitely not final, and will probably be white ;)

I think 2 with white text would look great with the contrast, I think the poll on Twitter might be skewed a bit if they don't know it'll likely be white

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
3 and 4 are out.

1 is a clear winner with 2 being next if the sky weren't so jarringly white.

all should have white text, though.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Winner for sure.

g68WzTq.png

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's an old, cheap game that is never mentioned, but I really wish Knight Terrors (Nicalis) would get updated with a new icon w/ the game title on it.

Current:
f3FiIpj.png

Game is quite fun and challenging too.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Then some devs/publishers are definitely trolling us.
Likely some misguided attempt to get attention for their game and then go 'look guys we fixed it!' for more exposure in a later update. Conveniently sidestepping the obvious fact that people have an absolute glutton of Switch software to choose from if an icon is bad enough to deter them.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Likely some misguided attempt to get attention for their game and then go 'look guys we fixed it!' for more exposure in a later update. Conveniently sidestepping the obvious fact that people have an absolute glutton of Switch software to choose from if an icon is bad enough to deter them.

Nope.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno bout you guys, but I'm not sure I'd join the guild of a sneaky-looking king like that

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
So in your opinion, when devs use awful icons, do they just..... have bad taste?

I think in most cases the logo is an afterthought, they just don't care, or they didn't think about how it will look on the Switch (and particularly in the context of other Switch icons). Most of the bigger games that do this usually have a better icon already on a website or other platform as has been demonstrated constantly. I think a lot of other developers are used to mobile and are creating an icon that stands out on a page of 15-20 other icons (not the 4 icons on the Switch screen that are 4x the size ). Then there are some developers that just didn't think it was important, but then got asked about it on twitter and have changed it subsequently.

The problem is that Nintendo did create a style guide and most developers follow that guide and it makes the ones that don't really look awful on the screen and ruin your consoles aesthetic. I know it is often said "seriously, I can't believe anyone would not buy a game because of an icon" but Switch owners are choosing from tons of good games and they don't have time to play them all. If your product is comparable to other products in quality but has poor packaging, its gonna hurt sales. (And that's the last thing that I don't think these developers get - that a bad icon really does have a negative impact on sales - and to that end they are just dumb because a decent icon should be pretty easy for them to make.)

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Super Mega Baseball 2 announced for Switch (comes out next week) and I'm already fearing for the icon.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Icons of the week

etherbornjkkpa.jpg
umiharakawasefresh8gju4.jpg
caladriusblazegvjt8.jpg
redeemerenhancededitiyqjk0.jpg
mochimochiboy49jcl.jpg

marvelultimateallianc1kj93.jpg
arcadearchivestheninjehj8o.jpg
archlionsagap4jbu.jpg
thedramaqueenmurder83jx4.jpg