• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Hi buddy, is there any way of getting HD versions of these icons at all? I usually get mine from Abload.de (Galerie: Switch Icons 2019), but it hasn't been updated since April 28th!

Done. Lately I don't have much time to update it.

Btw, new icon of Creepy Road.

81523139f850482513190aajy1.jpg

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thread update rolling out tonight, sorry it's a little later in coming than planned!

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweet!

I never thought I'd care for home icons but then Octopath happened and... yeah.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I'd happily spend $30 to have Resident Evil 4 on my Switch if the icon wasn't trash. Fix the icon, Capcom!
It's so out of step with the RE1 and RE0 icons. I would've taken something simple like those. The RE4 icon is just plain awful.

First off, that game should cost $14.99. There's no excuse for such an egregious price gouge. And two, that icon is a firm no-buy.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's so out of step with the RE1 and RE0 icons. I would've taken something simple like those. The RE4 icon is just plain awful.

First off, that game should cost $14.99. There's no excuse for such an egregious price gouge. And two, that icon is a firm no-buy.
$19.99 would have been the fair price. It's what it costs everywhere else. It's a recent remaster after all, not just an emulated download of the original 14 year-old game.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, bought This War of Mine and Hand of Fate 2 back to back. Both fun games but those icons 😬 just text on a plain background.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh thank god for this.

N6PV14w.png

Also Blades of Time added its logo.

51wg8sN.png

And The World Next Door missing the point a bit.

gm7wrDA.png

Last edited:
May 29, 2018
Just picked up Iconoclasts on sale and...

Title ✅
Well Designed ✅

Yet again, there's a much cooler icon on Nintendo's page that's not being utilized.

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Added a new feature to Switch Icon Showdown that nobody asked for.

On every icon's detail page, you'll note some new little Switches down there.

8m4yGUw.png

Clicking either of them will generate a 1280 x 720 image of the Switch's dashboard, showing what the icon looks like on that theme and at its native 256 x 256 resolution.

The above Breath of the Wild logo on the white theme? You got it!

Gato Roboto on the black theme? Can do!

(I have a lot more plans for this thing, but nothing to share right now!)

Garf107

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's available for preorder on the Switch eshop directly, but if it's down we can't do it of course...

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
CastleVania Collection logo is damn sexy with that gold outline over the classic box art.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home

8m4yGUw.png

Clicking either of them will generate a 1280 x 720 image of the Switch's dashboard, showing what the icon looks like on that theme and at its native 256 x 256 resolution.

This is actually really cool, thanks :)

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Next bit I'm working on is allowing users to create a page that shows five icons of their choice. Well, okay, four and a half.

Which means you can generate images like this:

Id9uGOM.png

Edit: HahahaHHahahaaaaa

Edit2: Here's a super sekrit beta version of the above generator if you want to have a go yourself. Right now you can select which theme you want, and you have to put in each game's ID but later I will have it just generate a drop-down based on the database. http://www.switchiconshowdown.com/switchui/
If you decide you want to link the picture or something, copy it to imgur, as it uses the form POST method it won't be saved on to my server.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Next bit I'm working on is allowing users to create a page that shows five icons of their choice. Well, okay, four and a half.

Id9uGOM.png

Edit2: Here's a super sekrit beta version of the above generator if you want to have a go yourself. Right now you can select which theme you want, and you have to put in each game's ID but later I will have it just generate a drop-down based on the database. http://www.switchiconshowdown.com/switchui/
If you decide you want to link the picture or something, copy it to imgur, as it uses the form POST method it won't be saved on to my server.
Neiteio

<3

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

Id9uGOM.png

You're doing God's work.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
That would at least excuse one of the bad aspects of it. But no, sadly not.
It's like the cherry on top of this terrible, terrible cake of an icon.
Is this actually a determining factor for some people when they're considering a purchase?
I'd say no... and yes?

I mean, if I really want a game, I'll probably buy it no matter the icon. If I'm on the fence and the icon is pretty bad, I have a dumb reason to wait a bit more.

What really matters regarding icons is that they show a developer/publisher cares about the presentation of the project they're putting out. A great icon, at the very least, shows they at least put effort in making their game presentable. A bad icon sort of shows they don't really care.

It's not a coincidence that you can sort of notice a trend of terrible icons from some companies and other that regularly make amazing ones (Nintendo of course, Devolver games too...).

Last edited:

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

8m4yGUw.png

Jesus Christ did you manually make these images for each game and upload them? Surely not? That would be an insanely long task.

Or does it code generate them? I hope it does 😂

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, it's a bit of crafty PHP code. :)

Let's me do shit like this now:

AztAObv.png

Oh phew! I was legit worried you were manually making them for every game and felt like I needed to reach out and offer some suggestions 😂

I do the same for my site. A user picks 4 cards and a background and it generates the image.

CybereCaualDeck-deck-44701.png

Keep up the fantastic work! You are making something great.