• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed with Toki Tori 2+ icon!
I went on a Two Tribes binge buy with this and Rive and really it was so upsetting to see that the icon was just that (and also the unecessary text in it, like WTF the game was perfect on WiiU without any text at all).
the new icon is fantastic! I would dip again if I didn't already buy the game!
And Rive is awesome too, a bit hard but addictive!
And the icon is perfect too.

e:OMG I'm going to buy Toki Tori 1 if it ever makes the switch am I?
It's going to be like the 4th version of the game?

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I know if I was releasing a game on Switch I'd give it a bad icon for previews then get some buzz about changing it to a good one, too.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I know if I was releasing a game on Switch I'd give it a bad icon for previews then get some buzz about changing it to a good one, too.
I wouldn't be surprised if some did that. Still works out nicely, though, because it fosters a dialogue that encourages well-presented icons in general.

Nemo Skydog

Nov 2, 2017
Your fight is my fight. Thank you. It's odd realising it's so important to me, but it is.

OP should update the post tho.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point it's pretty obvious devs are purposefully putting out a rubbish icon for buzz then a week or two later "Hey guys, we've heard the feedback and we're changing the icon, isn't that great!"

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
At this point it's pretty obvious devs are purposefully putting out a rubbish icon for buzz then a week or two later "Hey guys, we've heard the feedback and we're changing the icon, isn't that great!"
First impression is more important than whatever repairs you do. Remember XBone reveal?

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First impression is more important than whatever repairs you do. Remember XBone reveal?

An indie game is very different to a Microsoft console launch. One requires as much attention as possible to sell and the other has a legion of gamers just waiting for you to trip up.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The Trail: Frontier Challenge

cvPAxoD.png

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
we're talking about game icons here.
If you believe that first impressions, found to make up a substantial part of a potential customer's view of your product and quality as a maker, don't apply to game icons, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Edit: that said, for some these icons don't matter at all so for this audience it'd indeed be better to start off with a 'bad' icon.

Last edited:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Thinking out loud... I kinda wish icons could be dynamic and when you 100%-ed a game you got 'rewarded' with a new icon much like many Nintendo games give you new title screens...

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
That DQB icon looks so drab. Why'd they go for that when there's plenty of better things, more representative of the game?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I don't think the DQB Icon looks too bad. Even liking it better than the alternative one from the tweet as I prefer the green landscape compared to the more busy alternative.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
FWIW The Pixel King i don't have a problem with you posting your own tweets as long as they're relevant. I don't think there's any rule against this either. You're just not allowed to make new threads to post your own content. And I appreciate the icon mock-ups, they look nice.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think in this circumstance what he's trying to do is drum up 'noise' around these bad switch tiles, and to be honest that's something we can all get behind. So yes kind of annoying, but a means to an end.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's nothing other than what this thread is doing essentially. People are just quickly ticked off by twitter embeds around these parts, I feel.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This was apparently never covered here but Perception got its icon changed despite the original conforming to the Official Icon Watch Guidelines:

Updated icon:
28515232_209228684105owk4t.jpg

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
It's nothing other than what this thread is doing essentially. People are just quickly ticked off by twitter embeds around these parts, I feel.

I'm not bothered by Twitter embeds, just gross self-promotion. By all means post someone else's Tweets, but making a post on resetera by typing it in Twitter first and then linking it to get clicks is just so against what a discussion forum should be.

There's no reason why those Tweets couldn't have just been posts. If there's no T+Cs against it and everyone else is fine with it, then cool, carry on, but I hardly think using a discussion forum to promote yourself rather than to discuss is in the spirit of things.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm not bothered by Twitter embeds, just gross self-promotion. By all means post someone else's Tweets, but making a post on resetera by typing it in Twitter first and then linking it to get clicks is just so against what a discussion forum should be.

There's no reason why those Tweets couldn't have just been posts. If there's no T+Cs against it and everyone else is fine with it, then cool, carry on, but I hardly think using a discussion forum to promote yourself rather than to discuss is in the spirit of things.
The entire point of those tweets is to get traction with the devs/publishers so they change the icon.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
This thread is about exactly this topic. The people in here all want icons changed. This is the target audience. I really don't get the problem.

Like I said, if people have no problem then cool, for me it's just grim.

Agree to disagree and all that, carry on as he was if that's what people want. I'd be surprised if you couldn't at least see where I was coming from though.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do these developers keep using the awful mobile icons?

Those icons are designed that way because they appear much smaller on the screen and text can be hard to read and smaller elements and details can be lost or look too busy.

The Switch icons a gigantic by comparison, this is just wasted by the sheer laziness.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Like I said, if people have no problem then cool, for me it's just grim.

Agree to disagree and all that, carry on as he was if that's what people want. I'd be surprised if you couldn't at least see where I was coming from though.
I honestly can't. It's in service of this thread's goal and uses a method that gets eyeballs on the topic directly addressed to the source. More so than a random post in this thread would, for example.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't. It's in service of this thread's goal and uses a method that gets eyeballs on the topic directly addressed to the source. More so than a random post in this thread would, for example.
If you can't see where he's coming from then that's a pity. I think you're right that because it's in direct service to the aims of the thread it's great. But this is a highly unusual thread. In any other thread such shameless self promotion would be annoying. It's annoying in this thread too but it's worth putting up with because it's for a good cause.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
If you can't see where he's coming from then that's a pity. I think you're right that because it's in direct service to the aims of the thread it's great. But this is a highly unusual thread. In any other thread such shameless self promotion would be annoying. It's annoying in this thread too but it's worth putting up with because it's for a good cause.
But we're not in any other thread, hence me not seeing the problem. If we were, this would be a different conversation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.