• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If there's a lack of desire to host continued updates I'm down for designing/making/updating a thread/OT/hangout for Switch icons.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a lack of desire to host continued updates I'm down for designing/making/updating a thread/OT/hangout for Switch icons.
You have my blessing; I just don't have time to maintain it.

Feel free to copy/paste whatever you want from my OP by way of explaining things. I think it would also be cool if you showed a variety of icons that have been updated, so that people can see the feedback has worked in many instances. :-D

With any luck, a new thread's increased visibility will save RE4 from its current icon.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You have my blessing; I just don't have time to maintain it. Feel free to copy/paste whatever you want from my OP by way of explaining things. I think it would also be cool if you showed a variety of icons that have been updated, so that people can see the feedback has worked in many instances. :-D
Definitely don't want to tread on toes so appreciate that Neiteio as the one who stood for us when others wouldn't. Agree on having the updated/changed icons and more of an overview on the 'icon landscape' as a whole. What were you thinking TheMoon ?

With any luck, a new thread's increased visibility will save RE4 from its current icon.
🙏

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely don't want to tread on toes so appreciate that Neiteio as the one who stood for us when others wouldn't. Agree on having the updated/changed icons and more of an overview on the 'icon landscape' as a whole. What were you thinking TheMoon ?
It's all love and respect in here. <3 We're just trying to make the home menu of the BEST SYSTEM EVER a prettier place. :-3

I look forward to the new thread, if you decide to make one. :-)

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Kyuuji is gonna make one, I think. I really shouldn't, I think it would be against TOS if I wanted to link to my site in my thread.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
well, do you wanna do it? otherwise I'd start on it during lunch.

definitely some before/after comparisons, best practice examples, "how to approach devs" guide blabla.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
well, do you wanna do it? otherwise I'd start on it during lunch.

definitely some before/after comparisons, best practice examples, "how to approach devs" guide blabla.
I'm definitely down to do it, would love to if that's alright. Can have it done by end of the weekend. Agree on the content suggestions, will link in with you when I have the draft on an old post too. Same for you Robin64

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
We need a new wall of shame with some big titles with shitty icons like Hellblade, Sonic Mania, Resident Evil 4 or World End Syndrome.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, ones from devs that should definitely know better. Half the LEGO titles are just a picture, where half have the title. Very annoying.

I also keep this post updated with 2019's titleless icons, though it's a bit hidden.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Odallus is still in there!

One does not get off the hook that easily.

One thing I shall be adding to my database when I get the chance is a tag system. So "No Title" will be one, and thus easy to search for. I'm considering adding the login system I learnt to make on switchachievements.org also a thing on here, and then having people able to pick and vote for tags. Plus all the other things that come with being able to log in.

But also, when an icon has a new or old one, I want an easy way for users to see that. So if someone goes to the Odallus titleless icon, there'll be a clear thing saying "New one here" or something. Not sure on method yet.

Also I want to move it to a proper domain, not a sub-folder.

Edit: Now on a dedicated domain: http://www.switchiconshowdown.com/

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I found this interesting..

Makes me wonder if similar things have happened elsewhere and it might explain some of the bad ones out there.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Getting excited for the thread, what were people thinking about the title - same or something different?

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Switch Icon Horror Museum.

Nah, it's fine right now. Maybe a little touch to improve it.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Can someone with influence please tweet Ninja Theory and ask them to update the Nintendo Switch Icon for Hellblade? Thanks :)

This is one of the ones that hurts the most. The game is gorgeous, gorgeous icons already exist, and the guys won an award for "Best Art Direction". Come on then, artists, spot this flaw...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
No Logo - No Buy
lol no need to hide it, right? :D

Lmao, I agree, definitely shouldn't be ashamed :P

The Nintendo Switch Icon Watch || No Logo, No Buy
Switch Icon Watch Thread || Because your home menu deserves the very BEST
Nintendo Switch Icon Thread || Beauty is in the icon of the beholder
Switch Icon Gang || Did you forget your logo, rookie?

Last one is a joke but just been pondering title formats.
I'll be working on the design tonight, managed to free up some time!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I like the term Switch Icon Watch. PixelKing started #SwitchIconWatch on Twitter when talking about Switch icons, and it's something I've taken on since too. In fact, anyone tweeting to devs about their icons should include this so we can easily find them. ;)

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Isoland and Isoland 2, which launched yesterday, have some lovely little website icons.

2190a.png
2191a.png

Surely, SURELY, they wouldn't mess this up.

Surely.

2190.png
2191.png

Oh.

Honestly, I like it. Gives me Gravity Falls vibes.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I like the term Switch Icon Watch. PixelKing started #SwitchIconWatch on Twitter when talking about Switch icons, and it's something I've taken on since too. In fact, anyone tweeting to devs about their icons should include this so we can easily find them. ;)
Yea Switch Icon Watch is the canon name of this ...initiative. Should not be changed.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yea Switch Icon Watch is the canon name of this ...initiative. Should not be changed.
Awesome. "Switch Icon Watch", "Nintendo Switch Icon Watch" or "The Nintendo Switch Icon Watch"? (or other)
Just to clarify

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Why do the icons look so good when they're done with care? Give me all of them.

Last edited:

Thorsten

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is one of the ones that hurts the most. The game is gorgeous, gorgeous icons already exist, and the guys won an award for "Best Art Direction". Come on then, artists, spot this flaw...
Agreed :) I don't understand why they often chose the worst Icon, especially since the Website has a great Icon. Nintendo should really make it mandatory that every Icon has the official Game Logo on the Icon and that the Game Icon is the same Icon as on the Website! And thank you for your Work and Website :)

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
You guys just reminded me I need to beat Hellblade so I can delete it from my Switch to remove that hideous icon. =_=

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for the positive impressions. Will just leave one more tease of the full header before leaving the rest to the imagination.
Oh also ye olde scroll that we all know and love, and that won't have a watermark in the final version :P

screenshot2019-05-10a7qj9a.png

scrpijku.png

Status
Not open for further replies.