• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh god, look at this. The icon for The VideoKid (a PaperBoy clone, but you skateboard)

949.png

That pixel art isn't even the actual style of the game!

Irap8dl.png

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So...

How do we politely ask Square Enix to please change the Octopath icon?
It looks SO wrong amongst all the other ones.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, uh. So here's the direct link to Beat Rush's icon. As well as being title-less (booo) it's also crazily artifacted. What the heck?

https://img-eshop.cdn.nintendo.net/...914bda85d8fc236f09bfa6e17153d4f77a213f0d5.jpg

Okay, are devs deliberately taking the piss now? Below are icons for Star Story: The Horizon Escape. On the left, the nice icon on the Nintendo UK website. On the right, its game icon you'll see on the Switch.

Ue4Xgqr.png
RvPqWM9.png
who doesn't want that handsome man greeting them every time they boot up their switch

Blurry15

Oct 28, 2017
In regards to Octopath Traveler, if you buy the Japanese version do you get the Japanese icon? Because I looked at the Japanese store for Octopath and it says it supports English. Could that be a work around for people that want a better icon?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
not sure why people are surprised, it comes from the people who put these out:
206009_front.jpg

332740_front.jpg

sure, there is one piece of character art but you do see that they love their white text on black backgrounds.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Given how much more Octopath Traveler sold than expected, maybe we'll get the eight travelers as avatars and a new icon. Heck, maybe Ninty will see this thread and realize they can monetize icons as part of their overall theme offerings down the road. I would pay five dollars for a new icon.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Given how much more Octopath Traveler sold than expected, maybe we'll get the eight travelers as avatars and a new icon. Heck, maybe Ninty will see this thread and realize they can monetize icons as part of their overall theme offerings down the road. I would pay five dollars for a new icon.
d3xiQWa.png

Asking to pay for an icon? Good God. As a consumer you shouldn't be asking to pay for stuff. The moment you give publisher's an inch they'll take a mile.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
d3xiQWa.png

Asking to pay for an icon? Good God. As a consumer you shouldn't be asking to pay for stuff. The moment you give publisher's an inch they'll take a mile.
Heh. I am willing to pay for video games of quality. The same should apply to icons, should it not? Now if there were lootboxes involved I would be out...

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's a stupid idea tbh.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
that's not good. monetizing on something so simple... perhaps we're too deep into this icon thing.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
So none of ya'll spent money on Badge Arcade on 3DS to make your folders and themes extra fresh?

It's not a new or crazy idea...

Right? =)

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
What if devs just made good icons from the start and we didn't have to pay money for them

:-O

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Icons are an aesthetic thing, people. No one is pulling their hair out about icons, it's just a matter of appreciation for design.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Icons are an aesthetic thing, people. No one is pulling their hair out about icons, it's just a matter of appreciation for design.
I mean design by nature is more than aesthetic. The major distinction between art and design is that the latter fulfills a purpose and can be measured against that whereas the former is completely subjective. I agree that no one is tearing their hair out though. It's just a matter of whether you personally are aware of, or care about, the design side of them.

Edit: To clarify I mean that the icons on the Switch can be measured against their purpose. So to that extent the design is more than just aesthetic.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
After I had my fill with Human Resource Machine and Arcade Archives Mario Bros. I deleted both of them because the icons were so ugly.

I so desperately wish they would update the OT icon. I love the game so much and it's the only game as of now I can tolerate keeping on my Switch despite the fact that the icon is ass.

I fully realize how I sound.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I don't think we catalogued the SECOND update to the Slime-San icon in here.

37426314_218411788187cqele.jpg

This should be the final one, for the "Superslime Edition" which will also be its retail release-title.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
All obsessions are irrational. It's like dropping by a shark week enthusiast thread and saying "sharks? really!?"

What's the point of having a forum if enthusiasts can't even discuss their niche obsession without judgmental driveby posts?

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
All obsessions are irrational. It's like dropping by a shark week enthusiast thread and saying "sharks? really!?"

What's the point of having a forum if enthusiasts can't even discuss their niche obsession without judgmental driveby posts?
Agreed, to an extent. It's just what you said though...obsession. For some folks it's far from "enthusiasm" and more like obsession. Totally a fair shake for others to opine their thoughts on the hilarity of the subject.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Really?! Just because of an icon?

Edit: Not trolling and only read this back page, just intrigued as to why a game icon would be so important over other factors such as system, gameplay, portability, etc.

You seem so disappointed that I choose not to buy the same game twice for reasons of my own volition. Apologies for that I guess.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
You seem so disappointed that I choose not to buy the same game twice for reasons of my own volition. Apologies for that I guess.
There's no disappointment, as stated I was just trying to understand why a mere digital icon would be a prevailing factor in a game purchasing decision over (seemingly) much more important things such as gameplay, graphics and the like?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
There's no disappointment, as stated I was just trying to understand why a mere digital icon would be a prevailing factor in a game purchasing decision over (seemingly) much more important things such as gameplay, graphics and the like?

First of all, don't conflate the issue. Those factors you mention did play a role in my purchase decision....a year ago when the game first launched.

I obviously enjoy the game enough to have even considered double-dipping(as my original post you quoted inferred), and a potential icon update was a unique incentive that helped me validate weighing a repurchase. When that incentive was removed, my demand to double-dip did lose appeal.

So yes, I placed more importance on a piece of homescreen art over other unique Switch incentives such as portability(which I don't use) or the ability to play this game I enjoy on two different devices I own. As I very clearly originally stated, I'll happily stick to my PS4 copy and save the $25 for other means. If that seems strange or bothers you, maybe now you can explain to me why it does so?

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
First of all, don't conflate the issue. Those factors you mention did play a role in my purchase decision....a year ago when the game first launched.

I obviously enjoy the game enough to have even considered double-dipping(as my original post you quoted inferred), and a potential icon update was a unique incentive that helped me validate weighing a repurchase. When that incentive was removed, my demand to double-dip did lose appeal.

So yes, I placed more importance on a piece of homescreen art over other unique Switch incentives such as portability(which I don't use) or the ability to play this game I enjoy on two different devices I own. As I very clearly originally stated, I'll happily stick to my PS4 copy and save the $25 for other means. If that seems strange or bothers you, maybe now you can explain to me why it does so?
Getting overly defensive over a non-issue there. Again, as stated, my initial post wasn't to troll but understand, and unfortunately it's doubtful that I ever will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.