• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now that the Switch got a surprise release of Dicey Dungeons and Spelunky 1 & 2 are on the way next summer, the Nintendo system has cemented itself as the best platform to play the best roguelites/roguelikes/run-based games out there.

The Switch now has games like:
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Risk of Rain 1 and 2
  • Into the Breach
  • The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
  • Rouge Legacy
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • 2020 GOTY Hades
  • Dicey Dungeons
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Dead Cells
  • Slay the Spire
  • Don't Starve
  • Downwell
  • GoNNER 1 and 2
  • Streets of Rogue
  • Wizard of Legend
  • One Step From Eden
  • ..and many more I can't remember off the top of my head
I love these kinds of games. They cross so many game genres but are all bound by their similar randomized, run-based gameplay. Playing a round or two (dozen) wherever I went versus only a couch or desktop setup is why the Switch reigns supreme for me. It's the perfect platform for these games.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018
Denmark
Obligatory:
aoNNwgw_700b.jpg

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Console maybe, but certainly not platform. PC Workshop alone pushes PC as the be all, end all platform to play Roguelites on.

Not to mention PC gets all the roguelites first as well. I'm still waiting on Monster Train to come to other platforms.

Portability? Laptops exist you know...

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
PC gets them first and runs them as super high framerates. And has mods for a lot of them.

Sorry, but no, your thinking is flawed.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll never contend with the volume of offerings and options on PC but I wholeheartedly agree in the sense that it's the best console to play on due to the portable factor. Spelunky finally being free of the Vita confines is refreshing.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Console maybe, but certainly not platform. PC Workshop alone pushes PC as the be all, end all platform to play Roguelites on.

Not to mention PC gets all the roguelites first as well. I'm still waiting on Monster Train to come to other platforms.

I'm looking forward to Monster Trian too. They just added controller support to the PC version and it's coming to Game Pass. Switch port is definitely coming soon.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LOL.

You should check into PC.

It's got like 1000X more Rouges.
A bunch of these just run better on PC. Hades kinda churns on Switch.

I think he's also talking about the portability of the switch not just the selection of roguelikes

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You should check into PC.

It's got like 1000X more Rouges.

Ha-ha! You have activated my trap card: the Perfect on Switch 2x game quality modifier, which also has a conditional bonus on rogue-likes because they can be played in bursts.

I really do like playing rogue-likes on Switch, even though I play more of them on PC because that's where they come out first.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll admit PC is technologically better. I mean that's almost always the case with games. You can do it better on PC.

but personally I agree with the sentiment that portable roguelikes/lites are preferred.

Last edited:

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Now that the Switch got a surprise release of Dicey Dungeons and Spelunky 1 & 2 are on the way next summer, the Nintendo system has cemented itself as the best platform to play the best roguelites and run-based games out there.

The Switch now has games like:
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Risk of Rain 1 and 2
  • Into the Breach
  • The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
  • Rouge Legacy
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • 2020 GOTY Hades
  • Dicey Dungeons
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Dead Cells
  • Slay the Spire
  • Don't Starve
  • Downwell
  • GoNNER 1 and 2
  • Streets of Rogue
  • Wizard of Legend
  • One Step From Eden
  • ..and many more I can't remember off the top of my head
I love these kinds of games. They cross so many game genres but are all bound by their similar randomized, run-based gameplay. Playing a round or two (dozen) wherever I went versus only a couch or desktop setup is why the Switch reigns supreme for me. It's the perfect platform for these games.

You should try Children of Morta, imo is one of the best roguelike games out there!

Kendaskig

May 15, 2020
I mean, to each their own, but the joy-con drift issue is really fucking up the experience, especially in this genre.

EDIT: And the d-pad isn't very good either.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really play portables much anymore, so for me it's PC all the way. Also, on Switch you have worse performance, lower resolution and a smaller screen compared to PC which works against more action-filled roguelites like Hades.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This makes me think OP just discovered the genre now that it started releasing on a Nintendo platform, lol.

I mean I enjoy playing on the Switch but PC has a way better assortment and library to choose from, including hidden gems and early access.

Speaking of early access, gotta plug Skul: The Hero Slayer, which is coming out and launching next January on the 21st for Steam (and Switch)! Play it! It's fun and you get to fight as a lil skeleton dude that changes his powers by switching heads/costumes!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I regret buying cartridges for any of those games. Much better to just pop in and out of often updated run based games.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Everything's better on portable to me. Convenience is a way more important hardware issue to me than specs. Still, to each their own.

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer Rouglites on portables but the joycons hurt my hand after some time in sessions. Would be rad if Hades and Spelunky 2 were on Vita.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
first thing I did when I bought my Switch was buy a joycon with a proper d-pad, it's not exactly an insurmountable issue.

Joystick drift is terrible build quality though, that's for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
As a console I guess so, just because of the amount of them, but I also don't use my Switch as a portable so PC is definitely better if you don't care about that aspect of it.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
Downwell has been my go-to game for playing in short bursts for years but I've had the most fun playing it on my Switch Lite. Maybe it's just the fact that it's still super portable but also has the benefit of physical controls. I also see people saying that Hades runs better on PC and I'm sure it does but my Switch is many many times more portable than my laptop is.

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
If it wasn't for Switch portability I would have never put so many hours in Enter the Gungeon, Into the Breach and Hades, so I agree with OP.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
If this is purely a thread on how awesome the portability is, then it doesn't really just apply to rougelite games