• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really like the demo. I don't think that's the games fault, more a change in what I find appealing in a game these days; it's the reason I gave up on Dark Souls 3, I just can't be bothered progressing via dying anymore, it feels tedious to me now having to repeat areas and enemies over and over, even finding the most efficient routes through enemies doesn't appeal. The surge just turned me off at its basic mechanical level. Which is a shame really as it seemed to have some very clever stuff going on.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I really want to try this game but I wasn't a fan of Lords of the Fallen, so I can't bring myself to get it at full price or even over 40, I'll definitely consider it if I have nothing to play at the time and it costs around $25.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
I watched LobosJr play a few minutes of this and thought it looked fun. Just waiting for a steep sale because my backlog is already huge.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the demo enough to buy it, but it's still in it's shrink wrap.
Glad to hear you recommend sticking with it.

Deleted member 14438

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you hate them? Bc of difficulty only?

Yeah, pretty much. I know there are patterns that the enemies have and its an "easy" game if you just "git gud" . I don't really hate the games, I hate the fact that I suck at them and really don't have the time to fully enjoy them. Which is too bad because I actually bought Bloodborne just for the beautiful setting and environments but I started getting frustrated in the first damn werewolf. So after a day of work, the last thing I want is more stress...

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, pretty much. I know there are patterns that the enemies have and its an "easy" game if you just "git gud" . I don't really hate the games, I hate the fact that I suck at them and really don't have the time to fully enjoy them. Which is too bad because I actually bought Bloodborne just for the beautiful setting and environments but I started getting frustrated in the first damn werewolf. So after a day of work, the last thing I want is more stress...

I hear ya. I had something similar when I played my first souls game Dark Souls 1. I was getting frustrated until the combat "clicked" with me and I fell in love :)

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
If only you can create your own character, I'd be interested...
The demo failed to grab me, enemies and the general design screamed generic scifi. Fighting bit was alright, but I don't understand why no one has firearms. It just doesn't make sense.

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
If only it had coop...I love souls games, but I also know that some bosses I need to coop them. I can go through levels by myself just fine, but once a boss has kicked my ass more than 10-15 times I need to ask for help or it stops being fun. It may happens only with 2-4 bosses, but it happens.
I believe I beat all Nioh bosses by myself, but something like the Nameless king?? No way!
How are the bosses in The surge compared to DS3 for example? Any absurdly difficult one?

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Really loved it, nicest surprise of the year for me. Plus it finally made me try Bloodborne so yay!

Also, dat steelbook

img_21472vum4.jpg

JohngPR

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I randomly tried the demo out and was surprised by how much I liked it. I don't have time to play it anytime soon but I'll keep an eye on it in future game sales.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never would've thought this would get this much praise in here. Then again, didn't follow it that closely.

Will try out the demo thanks to this thread.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Really loved it. Game knew how to put you in situations that really made you shit yourself, lol. Playing with HDR really added to the atmosphere. Highly recommend it.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently, a complete edition (Game + A Walk in the Park + DLCs) will come down the road at the end of the year too!

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Lords of the Fallen at all but loved The Surge.

I can't wait for the DLC in December.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of things about it but I just wish they'd let me design a character. It feels wrong playing some premade mr. generic in a souls style game.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I played the demo but even over the course of that I found the environments and enemy design to be kinds of... uninspired

I *really* liked the intro, though, and think the general premise of the game is really good. Seeing so many positive impressions here might be enough to finally push me into buying it

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm currently going thru the game right now. It's a nice little surprise gem of a game. The customization you have with your rig (exo suit) is cool. I like the fact that you can customize your character to have greater health/ stamina energy, etc. But you're not locked in once you upgrade those stats. If I decide to want more stamina than health at some point, it's as simple as swapping out a health "chip" for a stamina one.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Grabbed this game off Deals for Gold and I am liking it way better than I thought I would. It is a bit easier than Dark Souls (good for me) and the cyberpunk feel, along with the grisly dismemberments, gives off this really cool 90s horror sci-fi feel.

Definitely digging it.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game had gone with something a little more interesting art-wise than what they did. I can't help but feel that going hard-in on the Bloodborne/Souls inspiration and creating some bizarre Gothic Science Fantasy hellhole would have been amazing.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I bought this game the other day for XOX. So far, I have beaten the first area/boss. I feel like I have an okay grasp of things/mechanics, but does anyone have any advice for a new player? Was there anything you wish you had known prior to starting that you realized after you finished the game? Any help would be appreciated.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I spent full price on it this year at launch and it's probably one of the worst decisions I've made in a long time

Gave up on it after 5 hours of grinding in the same area.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Really like the game, like the level design, my bigest problem was the ennemies varities is not there at all, they all look the same and have nearly always the same patern... At first i was impress, but it get insane repetitive at the end. Also Staff was fun, but most combo and move feel useless most of the time... Dodge and 1/2 hit combo make the job....

OP
OP
adamblue

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
I bought this game the other day for XOX. So far, I have beaten the first area/boss. I feel like I have an okay grasp of things/mechanics, but does anyone have any advice for a new player? Was there anything you wish you had known prior to starting that you realized after you finished the game? Any help would be appreciated.

Learning to block is helpful. Let yourself get hit as long as you're blocking, and open the enemy up for attacks. First run-through of new area: if feeling safe, always target armor, but go ahead and target blue areas for quicker kills, then subsequent explorations, always have a goal of what to target on an enemy. It wasn't until later on that I realized that by targeting the torso, I'm getting the material I need to upgrade a torso. This can focus the grinding to be less grind-y and more of a temporary 'farming'. The benefits here are: it doesn't take long to farm if you have a goal, and you can practice using other weapons and get good at combat.

For armor types, go full set to get a bonus that will also maximize the use of different mods. Use this experimenting while farming.

Game decided that was the best way to railroad my progress till I had the points to take out the fire spitting miniboss.

If you don't mind me asking, which area and what was the mini boss?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Really solid game, with enough differences from other Souls game.

I hope more people will play it.

OP
OP
adamblue

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
First area, think he was like a big guy who spat fire. Genuinely can't remember much else.

If we're talking about the same thing, that is something that can be tackled later. In fact, I faced it way late in the game (it's optional, but the reward is awesome!). There are many times I came back to an area later on. For instance, wanting to farm a Mark (i,ii, etc) of gear, or to get into conduits that require I higher level. In the first area there's a 52 conduit that does take a while to get back to. But, the way the shortcuts work in this game make traversing without fast-travel not a pain at all really.

One weird thing I didn't really get until later is jumping. There's some weird jumps you can make in this game that don't even look like jumps.

Also the drones! They are very helpful. One specifically helps with humanoid bosses.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Such a stark improvement over Lords of the Fallen. Some of the bosses bordered on completely bullshit, but the moment-to-moment combat systems are so strong.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
If we're talking about the same thing, that is something that can be tackled later. In fact, I faced it way late in the game (it's optional, but the reward is awesome!). There are many times I came back to an area later on. For instance, wanting to farm a Mark (i,ii, etc) of gear, or to get into conduits that require I higher level. In the first area there's a 52 conduit that does take a while to get back to. But, the way the shortcuts work in this game make traversing without fast-travel not a pain at all really.

One weird thing I didn't really get until later is jumping. There's some weird jumps you can make in this game that don't even look like jumps.

Also the drones! They are very helpful. One specifically helps with humanoid bosses.

x1f440.png.pagespeed.ic.1s3kyiHs4l.png

I may have to take another look then

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the weapon all share the same moveset in a class and thats a deal breaker for me. I did like what I played of it though when I tried the demo. Still lacks the tightness of a Souls game but it was fun to play.