• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
I've returned to The Surge since the free weapon DLC came out. I originally got about a 3rd of the way through, but its difficulty stopped me from progressing. I'm a huge Souls fan btw, and also love Nioh.

I came back to The Surge hoping these new weapons would help. They didn't, but I missed the combat so much that I stuck around and decided to grind a bit. This helped, and I love how much grinding can be a meta game in combat. I would target specific enemy types, specific body parts, and get the gear and materials I needed, testing out different weapons and implants in the process.

During this time, I explored the world more. It's not a big world (relative to the Souls games - it's still big), and there's no fast travel, but it is very well implemented. Shortcuts are in the right places so traveling from one end to another really isn't a chore. And like Souls, you sometimes figure there should be a shortcut around, and exploring to find them uncovers secrets as well as secrets you know you can come back to later.

I could talk about this game forever, and I hope others here have played it too. If not, give it a try, and ask me questions if you're stuck!

OP
OP
adamblue

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
I've been enjoying it. It's like a weird combination of Dark Souls and Vanquish.

Aren't they supposed to be releasing some new DLC at some point?

Yes, I think near the end of the year for sure. It's an amusement park, and there are apparently two shortcuts to it from the beginning and end of the game....this really helps with that connectivity of the game world I was talking about. Also, I'm right at the last boss, planning to fully explore before NG+. So, I'm ready for the DLC!

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next time it's on sale on PSN I'll be picking it up. I'm beginning to miss Souls-likes though Nioh did scratch the itch somewhat.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed it a lot. Not as good as the souls game or even close but still enjoyable on its own

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Its a really solid game and a serious upgrade from the developers last release. The combat is really meaty and the game doesn't tell you much about it besides the basics. There are multiple different kinds of evades from parries to dodges to even jumping over or ducking under side to side attacks. The enemies are also pretty brutal in of themselves and its a game more focused on the level layouts, enemy encounters and exploring than it is boss fights though which some might not be expecting coming straight from the Soulsbourne games. It can get a bit repetitive and weapon, armor and enemies could use some more variety but if they improve this much again with their next game they might have a great 9/10 game.

radian8

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good game that's for sure. Like a hidden gem this generation. Brutally hard, but once you get used to the combat it's amazing. I like the really 'heavy' feeling of your character, like every move you do has weight to it.
Graphics and sound are top notch, especially on the PS4 Pro!

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I still have to try The Surge, if you come from Souls, how familar would it be to you?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
What are the new weapons actually like? Are they new weapon types or just elemental versions of existing stuff (one handed, staffs, pile bunkers, etc)

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying it. It's like a weird combination of Dark Souls and Vanquish.

Ok, now, I have to tone that down a bit in my head cuz the potential there is just too much to believe.

But I'm glad to hear positive, fond reactions to this game; I really didn't like Lords of the Fallen but I'm happy to see Soulslikes become a thing and it won't hurt to have this to play after I finish Nioh.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really is great, I need to get back to finishing it, it does a lot of interesting things that are smart improvements on the Souls formula. Really liked the setting and the way they handled upgrading and stuff.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Surge is very good. I love it. You have to be willing to give it some time but I believe it is worth it. The 60 fps really helps this game.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's a great game, and a HUGE step up from Lord's of the Fallen. But you aren't lying about the difficulty. Made shit straight up not fun sometimes.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they put out some patches to balance the combat? Overall I thought it was a great game, especially in terms of level design and combat mechanics. It just needed some more visual variety and maybe a few more boss encounters.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Surge really wasn't clicking for me for a long time but I gave it another go a couple of weeks ago and something got through. Starting to really enjoy it now - it's no Bloodborne, but it's definitely got it's own thing. Very impressive step up from Lords of the Fallen

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, and a HUGE step up from Lord's of the Fallen. But you aren't lying about the difficulty. Made shit straight up not fun sometimes.

I enjoyed the toughness myself but there were a couple areas that were absolutely brutal. The area right before the final level was so jam packed with so many incredibly strong enemies that were all close to each other so you usually ended up attracting more attention than you wanted even knowing the lay out before hand.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Seen this on sale for about £10 a few times. It might be worth picking up when I'm done with Wolfenstein and South Park.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really did not enjoy Lords of the Fallen much. Still beat it though.

Is this game better in regards to core combat, bugs, writing, and signposting in level design?

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
I really did not enjoy Lords of the Fallen much. Still beat it though.

Is this game better in regards to core combat, bugs, writing, and signposting in level design?
Same camp here but I still beat it three times 'cause I had to get the platinum... yeah, I don't know -_-

The bugs were annoying but the controls were extremely clunky. Like really really bad. Is The Surge any better in that regard?

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played the shit out of this at release, and love the game for no other reason than it confirmed that I was not tired off souls, but just tired of dark souls.

Cant wait for dlc. It's one of only 2 games this gen that I've gotten all the cheevos.

The gameplay is very fluid here, and basically carries the game at points because you can tell at points they put all their money into animations and fx over level assets lol

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is another game I got this year and I still haven't played yet. I should give it a shot soon!

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also say the surge has the best systems in any of these types of games. Getting rid of stats and going instead for pure rig building was an inspired choice that I feel really does a lot to help it feel different from other games in the genre.

The multiplier system in exp along with the rig building makes ng+ a real blast because it essentially forces you to play for perfection, and the way that recontextualizes the core mechanics make it the best ng+ since ds2.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I have to go back and finish it. I got to the second chapter and then got distracted by some other game. I liked what I played, though it was a bit harder than I like. And I'm a Soulsborne vet.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I haven't played this yet but I did enjoy Lords of the Fallen so I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl eventually.