• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about this game and how I really liked it. Gameplay is very solid and I like how the different areas are interconnected.
Bosses are nothing special though and at least one of them is shit.

I'm looking forward to playing the dlc. I think I left the game on my 3rd playthrough on NG+2, so hopefully the new area is not too hard!

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They never patched in hdr for pc did they? They said it at launch it will be included in the second patch after launch and never had. No giving lying dev a single penny.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Feels like the studio learned a few things after Lords of the Fallen, but they didn't apply enough learnings. Bosses are still janky and lack a lot of grace in telegraphing their attacks, making learning their patterns more frustrating than it should be. The environments are mazy and repetitive, making figuring out where to go a real chore, and the typical enemies are you with a different weapon over and over again. As said before, the weapons having no unique attacks / animations also makes them lack character and feel.

It's also hard to pin down where you can get certain resources to upgrade your kit.

However it's certainly nice playing it in performance mode on the X.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Underrated gem for me. A bit skeptical going in coming from the same devs from Lords of the Fallen.
the executive forum was what sealed the deal for me personally, from good to great.
Feels like the studio learned a few things after Lords of the Fallen, but they didn't apply enough learnings. Bosses are still janky and lack a lot of grace in telegraphing their attacks, making learning their patterns more frustrating than it should be. The environments are mazy and repetitive, making figuring out where to go a real chore, and the typical enemies are you with a different weapon over and over again. As said before, the weapons having no unique attacks / animations also makes them lack character and feel.

It's also hard to pin down where you can get certain resources to upgrade your kit.

However it's certainly nice playing it in performance mode on the X.

I guess you never got the Firebug throttle 2.0 and MG Judge 2.0

Bosses were fine for me and easily telegraphed after awhile. Which made getting 2.0 weapons challenging and rewarding and not at all frustrating... my only gripe is i wish there was some optional bosses.

Last edited:

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played the demo, really liked it, but I can tell I wouldn't love it. At its core, the gameplay just has too much "Western sludge." AC: Origins and Witcher 3 face the same issues. I have no idea what it is, but the combat in those games (and all western games that try to emulate Souls combat) just feels so sluggish. Not weighty, not responsive, just sluggish.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Played the demo, really liked it, but I can tell I wouldn't love it. At its core, the gameplay just has too much "Western sludge." AC: Origins and Witcher 3 face the same issues. I have no idea what it is, but the combat in those games (and all western games that try to emulate Souls combat) just feels so sluggish. Not weighty, not responsive, just sluggish.

Game is hardly sluggish. Feels great. Depends on what weapon and rig you want to use...as in many other games there's the archetype of heavy, medium and fast on weapons and heavy and light in armor. I was on the fence on this game up until the first boss. The game clicked for me after that when i got my bearings. You should really give it a try if you like Souls games. It's very much it's own thing while feeling familiar. It's like Doom meets Souls.

Last edited:

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
The most frightening part of Dark Souls is this screen
darksouls3-stats-screen.jpg

Deck 13 is looking to simplify that and it's my favorite part of the game. The progression system is clear and straight forward (albeit the UI is bad). I hope for their next game they move apart from the other part I dislike from Dark Souls, the minimalistic storytelling.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
This isn't The Surge OT. If an opposing opinion is hard for you then I'm sorry (not sorry).

I am sorry, I didn't realize you not playing the game at all was considered an opinion. I just never honestly thought that going into a thread for a game I have never played to trash it was considered a normal way to voice your opinion. I am glad I know better now.

And its a pretty mediocre game, honesty, but I am enjoying it. The plot is meh at best but the combat and is a lot of fun and the map is really interesting, so I have been enjoying it so far.

(That is what an opinion looks like)

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Surge is fantastic. Good enough to made me getting the platinum trophy.
Can't wait for the DLC expansion!
I absolutely love the combat in the game.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Surge has the strongest combat, out of your mentioned games. Combat feels nice in the Surge and has a lot of weight behind many attacks + nice feedback.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Liked the game but have to agree with lack of boss fights. Wonder how many we will get in the dlc.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's a great game. For every flaw it has, there's something very good to balance things out.

• The world is kind of bland and samey, but the level design is wonderfully interconnected. I believe you can go from the final area back to the beginning in less than five minutes if you take the right shortcuts. That doesn't mean the world isn't big, though. Most areas take a long time to explore thoroughly, with lots of secret rooms, elevators and shortcuts. I also loved how some skills incentivize the player to visit earlier areas in order to unlock more secrets.
  • Enemy variety isn't big at all, but the combat is very well-executed. The targeting system makes strategies such as damaging specific parts much more viable. Dashing away from an enemy's attack makes much more sense than rolling against it. Sure, the ducking/jumping mechanic isn't very user-friendly, but everything else about the combat is spot-on.
  • The game lacks bosses. I think there are only five bosses in the game and, to make matters worse, one of them actually summons another boss you defeated early on. Okay, I guess there's nothing really good to be said about the bosses. Uuhhh... Well, wome of them were fun to fight, but the last boss was a joke.
So, great game. I bought it on a PSN sale for $30 and would've paid full price if I knew I'd like it that much.

Oh, and there's the medbay song, too...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XCSGXVM/?tag=e100-21

It's £13.50 at the moment....

am I right in thinking this is getting an X One X update?

DF called the Surge one of the best examples around of a game taking advantage of the PS4 Pro so I'd hope the X1X version is great as well.

Unfortunately the weapon all share the same moveset in a class and thats a deal breaker for me. I did like what I played of it though when I tried the demo. Still lacks the tightness of a Souls game but it was fun to play.

Several of the special boss weapons have unique attacks and such. The Firebug 2.0 weapon has several cool additions.

This isn't The Surge OT. If an opposing opinion is hard for you then I'm sorry (not sorry).

I didn't realize a shit post of someone who never even played the game was considered an opposing opinion.

Last edited:

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Learning to block is helpful. Let yourself get hit as long as you're blocking, and open the enemy up for attacks. First run-through of new area: if feeling safe, always target armor, but go ahead and target blue areas for quicker kills, then subsequent explorations, always have a goal of what to target on an enemy. It wasn't until later on that I realized that by targeting the torso, I'm getting the material I need to upgrade a torso. This can focus the grinding to be less grind-y and more of a temporary 'farming'. The benefits here are: it doesn't take long to farm if you have a goal, and you can practice using other weapons and get good at combat.

For armor types, go full set to get a bonus that will also maximize the use of different mods. Use this experimenting while farming.

Awesome. Thanks, friend

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
I liked the combat but as with the Souls games, it made me too tense to continue after a while and the non-stop ambushes are just totally abysmal game design. Why resort to such cheap tactics?

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It's good, generally underrated by the critics and you can tell the developer cares about and believes in it.

After a certain point, however, I suck at it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I really enjoyed the demo on PS4, the combat loop was quite interesting. Had some issues with completely missing a piece of armor that should have lights nor knowing how to get them so that was a bit frustrating. It's currently on sale now in EU but I'll wait till they offer a complete edition with the dlc later down the road.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to finish LOTF and actually thought it was OK at times. The difficulty of this puts me off though. In souls I usually summon for help.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I always forget that the game even exists. I actually wanna play it someday. Gotta write it down somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Very much agreed, fantastic game and they learned a lot from Lords of the Fallen which I also liked. It's a shame they won't get to work on the sequel.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with LoTF it will always will be more compared to Dark Souls etc. Just because of the setting.
I think they have more "freedom" with the Surge and the world of it.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
It's much better than LoTF - when I played that it felt like I was being pushed towards a strength build due to the game's mechanics, whereas I prefer a dex build. The Surge seemed to allow for more freedom to play with but it still wasn't quite up to the Souls standard. I'm still waiting/hoping for a great sci-fi Souls game - I'd like it to be the Observer in terms of theme and style with the Souls combat.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Totally agree OP.

I was sceptical going in because as much as I wanted to like Lords of the Fallen, I thought that game had just too many issues and was borderline broken in some regards.

But I am very glad I jumped into The Surge anyway. It is such a vast improvement on the gameplay front, and actually offers some new stuff with the limb targeting with specific rewards. Plus the combat just felt really good so that even grinding every now and then was fun to me.

On top of that the Sci-Fi aesthetic was cool and well executed. Even if the last level and its cramped hallways got me lost more than once and actually made me a bit queasy in spots when running around for what felt like hours.

I'm not sure if I'll be back for the DLC when it launches as I may kinda have burned myself out getting all achievements in the game (though I greatly enjoyed doing that itself). The theme park setting is silly and fresh enough to have me interested sometime down the line though, if the DLC is actually somewhat substantial in size.

OP
OP
adamblue

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
I'm not sure if I'll be back for the DLC when it launches as I may kinda have burned myself out getting all achievements in the game (though I greatly enjoyed doing that itself).

This is my next goal - I'm just one boss into NG+. In NG+, I don't feel as OP as I do in Souls games, so this is cool and will still make the DLC challenging. I'm def getting in on launch, glad we got a date!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The DLC actually looks pretty cool. I like that its taking a bit of a sillier tone and going with a much more zany style for themepark environment and enemies.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
It had a terrible start and I almost gave up on it, but I ended up really enjoying the game. Funnily enough, their previous game (Lords of the Fallen) was the opposite for me. Started of strong but lost steam really quick.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
It had a terrible start and I almost gave up on it, but I ended up really enjoying the game. Funnily enough, their previous game (Lords of the Fallen) was the opposite for me. Started of strong but lost steam really quick.
What was the problem for you in the beginning?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I bought it the other day on the Steam flash sale. Just started today and I'm still pretty early in the game, but so far I've been enjoying it. It's a pretty nice Souls-like game with unique systems like part-targeting and limb-cutting. You see an enemy wielding an awesome looking weapon? Just cut its arm and make it yours. Furthermore, there's crafting in this game. I also love it that you can store your scraps or 'souls' in the save area. Also, the game runs like a dream and the IQ is pretty good.

Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of fun with it until the insane difficulty ramp up on the third or fourth area. Can't remember which. If you can get past that, then the remainder of the game is mostly smooth sailing sans one extra difficult boss fight.

It was a far better attempt than Lords of the Fallen, and I'll be following the team to see how they do moving forward. If I catch Surge on a sale along with the DLC I may pick it up again on PC. All that and done though, I kind of remember loving the first level, and then progressively hating the game the further I went in. Don't know why, and I'd love to play through it again to re-evaluate it since I'm a big Souls-like fan.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm thinking about buying this at 50% off (Steam Winter Sale) - but what are the bosses like?

Because that was my problem with the Souls games. I didn't have the patience to keep going back, and summoned help every time.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I know what you meanby the clunkiness of the combat of Western games but having finished The Surge I think it's crazy talk to lump it in with those. The game is crazy responsive and snappy. Nothing like any other western game. I think the only way one can say this is the case is if they haven't played enough of it. It feels more responsive than Dark Souls, but less so than Nioh.

UMadCuzUBad

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 30, 2017
Been playing this the past few days. I love it. Combat is fun and weight-y.

OP
OP
adamblue

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
So I'm thinking about buying this at 50% off (Steam Winter Sale) - but what are the bosses like?

Because that was my problem with the Souls games. I didn't have the patience to keep going back, and summoned help every time.

They can be just as tough, but the combat is so good you can master quickly. First attempt at last boss, I beat it. 1 or 2 other bosses took some time, but I'd say this game isn't about bosses like Souls games are.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't know there was DLC for this out, I'll have to give that a go. I really liked the main game, more than I expected I would. Couldn't play more than 1-2 hours of LotF, so I was surprised by how much I liked this game.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with it. I loved the interconnection in each zone and the weighty combat.

The biggest flaw it had was in the last zone imo, against a specific enemy type that was a giant pain to fight. And to make matters worse all enemies in that area dealt massively more damage compared to the previous area.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to play this. Could use me a new Souls esque experience. Any good fashion in this game?