• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's actually really good and the combat is enjoyable too. I literally only stopped playing because I got lost in the game and couldn't find my way at all.

I also love amusement parks too, so I want to play that DLC when it comes out. Does it match your level? Or are we required to meet a certain level?

OP
OP
adamblue

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
Yeah, it's actually really good and the combat is enjoyable too. I literally only stopped playing because I got lost in the game and couldn't find my way at all.

I also love amusement parks too, so I want to play that DLC when it comes out. Does it match your level? Or are we required to meet a certain level?

Apparently you can access it from the beginning of the game. So that does leave the question of how it would scale with your level. I'm guessing it's in-between? I can see where DLC can be used to pull people back in to games like this if it's accessible early, whereas with BB and DS, you had to get to a certain point - and I even had to look online for how to access them. EDIT: But DS and BB could get away with it because of how successful they were.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The combat's pretty good, but the level design is the real star here. I love how labyrinthine each area is and how different paths connect back into one another as you progress. Definitely a good game to scratch that Souls itch and I'm eagerly anticipating the DLC.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who never really clicked with Dark Souls, I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it; I think the loot system has a lot to do with it.

Should really get back and finish at some point but dude there's so much stuff coming out right now.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really enjoyed that I didn't see many others mention a lot when it came out was how positioning and footsie type gameplay played such a big part of the games combat. A lot of games, even the Souls games depending how you played and what armor you used could be very stationary in a lot of ways. Bloodbourne less so but I always found that game was more about reacting to the enemies and bosses especially and dodging, rolling, parrying or what have you in response. The Surge often felt like a game where the best bet was to baiting or leading enemies into certain actions whether it was an attack that has a long wind up and easily exploitable or causing an enemy to over compensate and leave them open for a beating.

I think the best example of this is the fucking dog robots, especially the harder variants. They can be an absolute nightmare to take on but their tells are often visual and audio based and quite obvious. which produces either the huge damaging but easily dodge lunge attack that often leaves them open for several hits afterward and can be abused by having them leap into walls or tight spaces where they're extra susceptible to attacks. In close range you can get them to do their back flip kick attack over and over which is another attack that leaves them open after it happens and what more, positioning places a roll again as if you get them close to an edge and they fall off of it after the flip or push them to a wall and have them right where you want after to really lay into. What's best is you can actually deduce which ranges to stay in to generate certain attacks to the point you can play them like a fiddle by weaving back and forth between close and medium range.

Its often more important than being able to tank attacks or using the other methods of dodging and its not something a lot of games do much of these days and actually reminds of me of Devil May Cry 3 and some other character action games than what you usually find in the Souls style games. Really fun active form of combat once you pick up on it and learn to use it to your full advantage, I was able to take on two of those dog bots or several of the security forces at once by the end of the game because of it and the other very varied moves and other elements like the satisfying limb cutting focus combined with the addictive item grind which I found much better than all the random weapons in a game like Nioh.

Deleted member 6452

Tried the demo and enjoyed it. May but when I have a bit more disposable income. It's great to see some good AA games, as they've all but died out on consoles, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really enjoyed that I didn't see many others mention a lot when it came out was how positioning and footsie type gameplay played such a big part of the games combat. A lot of games, even the Souls games depending how you played and what armor you used could be very stationary in a lot of ways. Bloodbourne less so but I always found that game was more about reacting to the enemies and bosses especially and dodging, rolling, parrying or what have you in response. The Surge often felt like a game where the best bet was to baiting or leading enemies into certain actions whether it was an attack that has a long wind up and easily exploitable or causing an enemy to over compensate and leave them open for a beating.

I think the best example of this is the fucking dog robots, especially the harder variants. They can be an absolute nightmare to take on but their tells are often visual and audio based and quite obvious. which produces either the huge damaging but easily dodge lunge attack that often leaves them open for several hits afterward and can be abused by having them leap into walls or tight spaces where they're extra susceptible to attacks. In close range you can get them to do their back flip kick attack over and over which is another attack that leaves them open after it happens and what more, positioning places a roll again as if you get them close to an edge and they fall off of it after the flip or push them to a wall and have them right where you want after to really lay into. What's best is you can actually deduce which ranges to stay in to generate certain attacks to the point you can play them like a fiddle by weaving back and forth between close and medium range.

Its often more important than being able to tank attacks or using the other methods of dodging and its not something a lot of games do much of these days and actually reminds of me of Devil May Cry 3 and some other character action games than what you usually find in the Souls style games. Really fun active form of combat once you pick up on it and learn to use it to your full advantage, I was able to take on two of those dog bots or several of the security forces at once by the end of the game because of it and the other very varied moves and other elements like the satisfying limb cutting focus combined with the addictive item grind which I found much better than all the random weapons in a game like Nioh.

Thanks a lot for your detailed impressions. Very interested in the game now. Did you by any chance play Nioh? If so, may I ask if The Surge is at all similar? Though I enjoyed Nioh, the enemy variety really soured my last 10-15 hours. The comments about level design being great is music to my ears, but a decent amount of enemy variety would seal the deal. Hopefully another game for the backlog!

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I like it but I was not able to finish it maybe around middle part of the 2nd stage (after riding the train).

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
The combat's pretty good, but the level design is the real star here. I love how labyrinthine each area is and how different paths connect back into one another as you progress. Definitely a good game to scratch that Souls itch and I'm eagerly anticipating the DLC.

Yup level design was great. It gave me the good old souls feeling after unlocking a shortcut and going: "Ahhhhh I'm back here..."

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the combat and level design but the enemy types got a bit stale and I didn't feel like I was making enough progression. More weapon, enemy and environment types in a sequel would be amazing.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Played the demo, felt like future Lords of the Fallen and if this is anything like that game I will not enjoy it. I'm all for more games like these but LoF felt extremely brutal at times for no reason.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the combat and level design but the enemy types got a bit stale and I didn't feel like I was making enough progression. More weapon, enemy and environment types in a sequel would be amazing.

Well the free DLC added more weapons recently at least so there is that.

I got to the second/third level and ended up leaving it as I was studying at the time, really need to go back to it, loved what I played.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see others praise the level design! Given the plot's obvious callback to a certain looking glass studios' sci-fi dungeon crawler/ rpg, the level design also calling back to those games made me feel right at home

That last level is some godlike dungeon crawler mastery.

OP
OP
adamblue

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
That last level is some godlike dungeon crawler mastery.

Just beat it tonight! That was a cool last level with how it connected and all the shortcuts. These guys are masters with levels to explore. I love it.

Beat the boss on the first try, but I did have a max weapon/armor set and had been fighting enemies so much, that enemies became no problem.

Too bad I couldn't explore more after beating the boss - I saw one last spot I needed to explore and I didn't unfortunately.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I've returned to The Surge since the free weapon DLC came out. I originally got about a 3rd of the way through, but its difficulty stopped me from progressing. I'm a huge Souls fan btw, and also love Nioh.

I came back to The Surge hoping these new weapons would help. They didn't, but I missed the combat so much that I stuck around and decided to grind a bit. This helped, and I love how much grinding can be a meta game in combat. I would target specific enemy types, specific body parts, and get the gear and materials I needed, testing out different weapons and implants in the process.

During this time, I explored the world more. It's not a big world (relative to the Souls games - it's still big), and there's no fast travel, but it is very well implemented. Shortcuts are in the right places so traveling from one end to another really isn't a chore. And like Souls, you sometimes figure there should be a shortcut around, and exploring to find them uncovers secrets as well as secrets you know you can come back to later.

I could talk about this game forever, and I hope others here have played it too. If not, give it a try, and ask me questions if you're stuck!

Thank you! I've been playing this game since 3 weeks before it dropped and I did my best to tell people about it. Easily one of my favorite games that aren't part of the Soulsborne universe. The combat system is amazing, as is the craft/leveling aspect. The story was a bit weak, but is was way better than Lords of the Fallen. I've beaten this game 12 times now, sitting on a bunch of NG+++ saves. Just waiting for the new DLC. I was also the one who broke the news about the upcoming DLC at E3 2017 ;)

The only thing I don't like about the game, is once you beat it, you're forced to do NG. You can't go back and do anything else. Though it makes sense, since it's so heavy in story.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Thanks a lot for your detailed impressions. Very interested in the game now. Did you by any chance play Nioh? If so, may I ask if The Surge is at all similar? Though I enjoyed Nioh, the enemy variety really soured my last 10-15 hours. The comments about level design being great is music to my ears, but a decent amount of enemy variety would seal the deal. Hopefully another game for the backlog!

The Surge and Nioh are similar, if only due to the combat. Both are fast-paced games, but that's about it. Nioh is about managing your ki pulse and switching stances. The Surge is like Bloodborne with Dark Souls mechanics. There's also a demo out for the game, so you can try it out.

R34vR

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Agreed. Targeting enemy limbs for schematics / materials was an addicting gameplay loop. I also liked the progression path of customizing a rig with specific implants that could be changed any time. I found the option to go with a less armored rig but loading up on implants was a fun way to play. There's also the Dark Souls-like aspect of exploring a foreign world and finding shortcuts.

The story was enjoyable enough and felt coherent, I especially liked the corporate PR pitchman videos - the way those videos evolved over the course of the game was really interesting.

I'll play through again with the Xbox One X patch, definitely recommend the game.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
Been playing it here and there, switching between PUBG and The Surge when I feel like accomplishing something gameplay is great, but the story just isnt engaging enough.

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I loved this game. Combat was really good. Could have used another boss or two. Can't get that save room music out of my head. lol

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and has anyone talked about how gorgeous the game is? It's kinda astounding really that a small team very obviously working on a tight budget just totally blew all other games in the genre away technically here. Df did a really good video on the game's really impressive visually design, check it out if you get the chance!

I aldi really dug the soundtrack, but still haven't found anywhere to buy it from. That central production theme is soooooo good but I've never been able to find it any where to listen to :/

Can't wait on the dlc tough, should be amazing!

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo a while back and thought it was decent. A big step up from their last game anyway. Being a soulsborne fan I'm always after something that will scratch that itch and this will....I think.
Anyway I bought it last week for ÂŁ12 from base.com and I'll probably start it after I'm done with Mario Odyssey.

Deleted member 14438

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game, difficult but fair and this coming from someone who sucks and mostly hates Dark Souls and Bloodborne...

Orangedrew

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I need to give this a shot. Lords of the Fallen was far from perfect but I enjoyed it. And boy did it scratch that Souls itch early on in the PS4's release.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I need to give this a shot. Lords of the Fallen was far from perfect but I enjoyed it. And boy did it scratch that Souls itch early on in the PS4's release.
I enjoyed this game way more than lotf. I barely got through about 2/3 rd of lotf and I beat this game 5 times and got every cheevo for it, it being one of two games this cycle I actually bothered to do such a thing for.

So if you liked lotf I don't see why you wouldn't like this game.

Orangedrew

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this game way more than lotf. I barely got through about 2/3 rd of lotf and I beat this game 5 times and got every cheevo for it, it being one of two games this cycle I actually bothered to do such a thing for.

So if you liked lotf I don't see why you wouldn't like this game.

Yeah I'll definitely pick it up at some point. As a souls fan, and sci-fi/horror fan it looks right up my alley. This year was just stacked, too many good games.

Has it been on sale regularly?

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll definitely pick it up at some point. As a souls fan, and sci-fi/horror fan it looks right up my alley. This year was just stacked, too many good games.

Has it been on sale regularly?
Yeah for sure. It's been 33% off a few times and was 50%off a few weeks ago when the free dlc released and the expansion pack was given a launch window. That's on pc, but on ps4 I know it's been on sale a few times but iirc never as deep as on pc for whatever reason. I think it was just on sale for like 40% off on psn about a week or so ago.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one I've been watching. As soon as I see it for $19.99 on PSN, I'm in. Watched some early Twitch streams on launched, seemed like a pretty solid game for a Souls-like, and the genre is still light on quality games.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had a couple issues with it at the starting but its much better now. Did an interview Friday with Adam Hytani the game design lead and learning some interesting stuff about its creation and what they wanted versus what got in the game. Man I loved the creepy bad guys and world in that

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have much interest in this before getting a Pro, but the 60fps mode looks so good! How's the HDR support?

Oct 27, 2017
I thought about picking this game up, but I decided against it after hearing about the lack of enemy variety and bosses. I was very interested in the concept and mechanics of this game, but it really seemed like it was going to be a disappointment.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Still on my list of games I want to check out.

I'm glad the studios' second attempt at a Souls-esque game worked out far better than their first one.