• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Boss fights tend to be my least favorite part of Souls-types games. I tend to just summon for them so I can go back to the part I enjoy: methodically making my way through the map. Are the bosses able to be brute forced generally, like grinding out if needed? Are there any ones that are a big wall or frustrating?
I'm ok with lame if it means my old ass can actually beat them haha
yeah, as long as you learn how to parry halfway decently then you'll be fine. the human-sized bosses are much tougher than the giant bosses and are way more fun too

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm maybe not 10. Wait no one did. ya one SOB absolutely did. I couldn't figure out how to take him down but switched my preset and then did fine

Sequences. Sure. A couple that I accidentally pulled tons of enemies into OR where environmental places I got killed on. Toxic poison in particular was my nemesis for awhile since I just didn't have stuff set up for it and by switching out my implant I had to then lose one which I loved and it caused me to have to switch up my game

Gotcha, if it's a matter of changing up gear, etc, I'm OK with that. I actually like that. It's the impenetrable brick wall without the ability to summon that I don't want. Thanks again.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, I bit the bullet and read through Game Revolution's "1 and a half stars" review.

I'll leave my thoughts at this: If you're looking for a review to read, that one shouldn't be the one you choose.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very cool. Isn't there an upgrade which shows you which way to parry?
ya

Gotcha, if it's a matter of changing up gear, etc, I'm OK with that. I actually like that. It's the impenetrable brick wall without the ability to summon that I don't want. Thanks again.
No in this game my ego got me some. I just was like. I WANT TO USE THIS! And then randomly thought to myself "the dude is trying to live he would use whatever works" lol and from that point on I did much better. But that also depends on the weapon and playstyle. Some wont have that issue. And of course some people will beat it by only using 1 button and wearing a blindfold while making cookies...or at least they will say they did

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The reviews are about where I expected, and a middling 70 is still pretty good!

But that 1 and a half star review is a wild outlier, there's no way this game is somehow a 3/10 in any light right? That feels like a score reserved for things that are absurdly broken or just outright and obviously bad.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017

But that 1 and a half star review is a wild outlier, there's no way this game is somehow a 3/10 in any light right? That feels like a score reserved for things that are absurdly broken or just outright and obviously bad.
Not even a 4, a 3...Yeah that's weird but whatever, most seem to like it.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017

It´s a classic click bait. Happens with all reviews, someone giving super low score for people to click on the link to complain about it.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Not even a 4, a 3...Yeah that's weird but whatever, most seem to like it.

But there are enough issues, both small and large, that combine and drag down the combat as a whole. For example, there are far too extremely sluggish heavy weapons and not enough faster ones. This would create a frustrating dichotomy of weapons but spears upend the issue because of their unmatched balance of agility and strength. No other class can compete since spears have strength, range, and agility on their side, turning a giant pool of cool but frustratingly slow weapons into a small puddle of ones that are actually useful.
Read more at https://www.gamerevolution.com/review/599401-the-surge-2-review-ps4#egbjXYX6WZXT1FvQ.99

This, from Game Revolution, is just wrong. Not even subjectively correct, but a flat out incorrect statement...

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It´s a classic click bait. Happens with all reviews, someone giving super low score for people to click on the link to complain about it.
I am not saying its not. HOWEVER many reviewers don't have any clue what other people will think. We do a lot of work in the void. Its possible for someone to really not like a game or love it and not be click baiting at all.
This, from Game Revolution, is just wrong. Not even subjectively correct, but a flat out incorrect statement...
What part.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
I am not saying its not. HOWEVER many reviewers don't have any clue what other people will think. We do a lot of work in the void. Its possible for someone to really not like a game or love it and not be click baiting at all.

What part.
the thing about there not being enough fast weapons and spears being the only useful thing. There is a ridiculous number of weapons of all types

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

What part.

Maybe about the weapon selection, I felt there was quite a good balance of weapon types even if if some were more effective than others.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked how the armor sets worked. There are some really strong set bonuses that work well together if you mix/match armor.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017

What part.

Of course a reviewer is not obligated to like the game, but in my opinion a reviewer should try to do an objective review, not only give his opinion. For example, he/she might not like the setting of the game, but it cannot give it a zero if is obviously that is not a zero. For example, I don't play FPS's, but I will not say that they are all bad because I don't like them, I can see quality on them.

3/10 is extremely low. If this game is a 3 what they would give for example to a Bubsy game? -10? :D

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I'm still working on my review but I found the whole experience thoroughly mediocre unfortunately. I don't think it improves enough on the first game as it still has a lot of rough edges. It's impossible to not constantly compare it to Soulsborne because of the many borrowed elements and in basically all aspects it's the much inferior experience.

My main beef with Surge 2 is the exploration. The first area of the game starts off quite promising. There are multiple paths to explore and the design of is good in that the hidden items are fun to find and the map cleverly loops back into the same bonfire with nice shortcuts. The individual design of areas as a whole continues to be engaging, but the issue that becomes apparent is that these areas connect very poorly to each other. Each area usually has various exits to other areas. I was constantly finding new exits and I thought this would allow for some non-linear gameplay, but the truth is that they're time-wasting dead ends. You won't have some tool you need to actually do anything in the areas. This wouldn't be bad if you didn't have to go through loooong loading screens each time you exit and if it didn't respawn all the enemies. After experiencing such a dead end like four times I felt discouraged to do anything but what the main story wanted me to do. The second half of the game is more open (once you have your tools), but by then the sense of any adventure is very diminished.

Besides that there just aren't enough enemy types and boss fights. The RPG elements are also underwhelming (quests can fail unless you agree with everything the NPC says) and I couldn't care less about the story and dialogue.

I saw potential in the original Surge, but with the sequel it's still mostly about good ideas but poor or mediocre execution. The combat and dismemberment mechanics are still fun though, which is its saving grace.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the thing about there not being enough fast weapons and spears being the only useful thing. There is a ridiculous number of weapons of all types
Being useful and being choices aren't the same. I read it as stating he felt they were overpowered. Something that I admit in some instances I would agree with. But to each their own

Of course a reviewer is not obligated to like the game, but in my opinion a reviewer should try to do an objective review, not only give his opinion. For example, he/she might not like the setting of the game, but it cannot give it a zero if is obviously that is not a zero. For example, I don't play FPS's, but I will not say that they are all bad because I don't like them, I can see quality on them.

3/10 is extremely low. If this game is a 3 what they would give for example to a Bubsy game? -10? :D
Can't say I see a 3 out of 10 being completely puzzling as we do have the average being around 7. I mean a couple glitches, not liking the world, not feeling it works. But thats just me.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Being useful and being choices aren't the same. I read it as stating he felt they were overpowered. Something that I admit in some instances I would agree with. But to each their own
true enough. to me, every type of weapon is useful, it just takes getting used to.
My fave was the ninja inspired sword.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
true enough. to me, every type of weapon is useful, it just takes getting used to.
My fave was the ninja inspired sword.

Ya agreed overall. I just know what its like to be on that side both high score and low and see people coming at me and being like...dude this is just my score and I legit feel its fair and representative of my experience. When a games average is in this range its not surprising for me to also see 10's and 2's.

Then again...I liked some shit games in my time.

I trully think the thing here is context. Its probably missing. I try to add so much context that it frankly feels like I am beating someone over the head but thats so that at the very least someone can say "Karak you're a fucking idiot but I get what you meant."
Context is very important so I get why folks don't feel its fair.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Ya agreed overall. I just know what its like to be on that side both high score and low and see people coming at me and being like...dude this is just my score and I legit feel its fair and representative of my experience. When a games average is in this range its not surprising for me to also see 10's and 2's.

Then again...I liked some shit games in my time.

I trully think the thing here is context. Its probably missing. I try to add so much context that it frankyl feels like I am beating someone over the head but thats so that at the very least someone can say "Karak your a fucking idiot but I get what you meant."
i much prefer that approach, the over-explanation in a review to justify an opinion rather than no justification at all...or very little

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i much prefer that approach, the over-explanation in a review to justify an opinion rather than no justification at all...or very little
Ya no I get it now. I thought it through and I can see that being an issue. I will admit though that the spear spinning attack is hilariously powerful with particular powerups at the same time

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017

Can't say I see a 3 out of 10 being completely puzzling as we do have the average being around 7. I mean a couple glitches, not liking the world, not feeling it works. But thats just me.

Fair enough, you know the industry and the review process better than I do. I just said what I said because I see situations like these in almost all reviews. For example Horizon Zero Dawn getting a 5/10 or Days Gone a 3/10.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Taaaaaaaaank. I had 100 Impact with a different build and didn't see TOO much difference dropping it down to 77.

GlmuABX.jpg

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like this is too much like the first game with minor improvements and the first game was very average. The enemies sucked and the combat good concept but poorly executed. I didn't think the first game was more than a 6/10 so this being barely any better is not worth buying. I also hated the annoying save station singing music that played in the first one. It was enough to stop me playing the game as it drove me up the wall.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like this is too much like the first game with minor improvements and the first game was very average. The enemies sucked and the combat good concept but poorly executed. I didn't think the first game was more than a 6/10 so this being barely any better is not worth buying. I also hated the annoying save station singing music that played in the first one. It was enough to stop me playing the game as it drove me up the wall.

hahaha I love the save station song sooooo much :D

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
And here is my written review.

In short:

+ Much improved, fantastic level design
+ A lot more artistic and environmental variety
+ Combat is still enjoyable with the limb-targeting mechanics playing an even more pivotal role in and out of battle
+ Upgrading and gear/weapon collecting always has something to work to
+ Health recovery system is much improved from the first game
+ Other minute QoL features, notably the ability to "preview" the stats of a newly-acquired weapon or piece of gear when at the same MK tier as what's currently equipped

- Boss battles are, at their worst, poorly-executed or simply lacking in creativity with the difficulty "curve" more like a sine-wave with little consistency
- Story/narrative is barely present or worth really taking note of
- Tonally it doesn't capitalise or even build up enough of the apocalyptic vibe it's going for
- Camera work can frustrate at the most crucial times (boss battles especially)

3.5/5...enjoyed the 20 hours I spent with it and would hope Deck13 can iron out the last of the creases for an inevitable third game.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, you know the industry and the review process better than I do. I just said what I said because I see situations like these in almost all reviews. For example Horizon Zero Dawn getting a 5/10 or Days Gone a 3/10.
Interestingly enough when you mentioned Days Gone. As I was also going to use it as an example that if I had got any more bugs and wonkiness that game could have been A REALLY low rating from me :) So we might have been talking about me right now lol

Man I am getting flashbacks of some of the shit in that game...oy

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little behind on my review but i'm really enjoying it so far. I feel that this is a noticeable improvement over the first game, especially in level design. And the combat is very satisfying indeed.

The boss battles aren't great, but my main criticism is the lack of polish. The LOD can be very aggressive at times, there are some frame drops, but worse of all is the abundance of screen tearing. I'm one of those people who notice everytime this happens and screen tearing made Gideon's Rock a chore to explore.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Interestingly enough when you mentioned Days Gone. As I was also going to use it as an example that if I had got any more bugs and wonkiness that game could have been A REALLY low rating from me :) So we might have been talking about me right now lol

Man I am getting flashbacks of some of the shit in that game...oy

I played Days Gone day 1 and besides visible frame drops in the last part of the game, everything worked fine to me. I had a blast playing it honestly. But of course, when I played most of the issues were already fixed. Watching footage from some reviewers at that time, I believe it was a very frustrating experience, it was in an unacceptable condition.

By the way, excellent job with the review of The Surge 2, just finished listen you moments ago. Also enjoyed quite a lot your recent podcast where you spoke about the game ;)

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played Days Gone day 1 and besides visible frame drops in the last part of the game, everything worked fine to me. I had a blast playing it honestly. But of course, when I played most of the issues were already fixed. Watching footage from some reviewers at that time, I believe it was a very frustrating experience, it was in an unacceptable condition.

By the way, excellent job with the review of The Surge 2, just finished listen you moments ago. Also enjoyed quite a lot your recent podcast where you spoke about the game ;)
Dude its giving me a headache thinking about it. No exaggeration I had such a migraine after playing that game.

thanks reviews are fun but man the podcasts are my drug. Fridays and the weekend are amazing due to the team.

So is anyone hear going to try a no death Surge 2 run?

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I would get it latter because of backlog but liked the first one so if this one is a little better is a plus.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
as i thought, more of the same with a little bit better environment

i thought The Surge 1 had many shortcomings and this here is just more of the same with a few more options instead of a meaningful evolution.

maybe they should have taken more time instead of making a fast sequel

i think the game looks not up to par for 2019 on PS4Pro, watched a video there was stuttering, tearing and the lighting is awfully overblown outside. the janky animations also didn´t inspire confidence.

not to be rude but seems like a great 20 bucks game

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Very fun game with some issues in the later half that are noticable but didn't stop me from like it
Just wanted to say that I appreciate the "difficulty" rating in the final text summary of your review. Is this something you included here just because Surge 2 is a soulslike, or will you have it for all of your reviews moving forward?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say that I appreciate the "difficulty" rating in the final text summary of your review. Is this something you included here just because Surge 2 is a soulslike, or will you have it for all of your reviews moving forward?
Gonna be honest. I am pretty random with what I include. If I feel text filters data I forgot ya. So in this case for sure due to Surge and my wanting to keep it clear to people as a summary. I can't promise anything moving foward. I dont really script. I just have notes and thats both what makes me LIKE doing it. But also is a weakness of mine

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Dude its giving me a headache thinking about it. No exaggeration I had such a migraine after playing that game.

thanks reviews are fun but man the podcasts are my drug. Fridays and the weekend are amazing due to the team.

So is anyone hear going to try a no death Surge 2 run?

You know, I managed to not die until quite a bit into my first run of the first game.

In this? I got to the city and got killed by the second enemy haha.