• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
TheSurge2.jpg

OpenCritic: 77 (based on 59 scores)
Metacritic: PS4 - 75 (based on 21 scores)
PC - 77 (Based on 22 scores)
Xbox One - 87 (Based on 5 scores)

OpenCritic
http:///A7Fd.png

My review is here:

As stated in the previous thread, the game is a massive improvement over the first, I really wasn't the biggest fan of the first game so this really did surprise me. The main selling point for me was the setting, thought it was much better and it felt pretty lived in. I imagine if you was a fan of the first, you'd enjoy it even more than I did.

Easy Allies:

ACG:

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
looks to be just as good or a bit better than the original, which is a very good thing

edit: a very good thing for those who liked the original, that is to say

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the OT, but while my review isn't done, I'd say this game is about a 4 out of 5 (whole numbers only).

I'm about halfway through the game and unless it falls apart hard in the second half, it's a great sequel to the first game and improves upon the basics (combat, environments, navigation) by a lot.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very fun game with some issues in the later half that are noticable but didn't stop me from like it

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My review is here:

As stated in the previous thread, the game is a massive improvement over the first, I really wasn't the biggest fan of the first game so this really did surprise me. The main selling point for me was the setting, thought it was much better and it felt pretty lived in. I imagine if you was a fan of the first, you'd enjoy it even more than I did.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The first game was alright, a couple hours that were fun but also definitely frustrating in many ways. Was hoping this second game would be a second opportunity to really improve, but yeah it just seems like it might be about the same quality-wise.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rps is surprisingly enthusiastic about even if it didn't earn one of their best tags

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I keep forgetting this is coming out soon tomorrow due to work. I really hope they moved away from some of the vague Souls bullshit that was in the first game.

Making me have to go google what the stuff on your stats screen means is not fun and adds nothing to the game.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Well damn, this is reviewing well. 8s for days.

Can someone comment on the difficulty, relative to the Souls games. I can't watch any reviews right now.

I know you can't summon.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Looking solid so far, will definitely pick this up during a price drop after i go through my backlog some more.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well damn, this is reviewing well. 8s for days.

Can someone comment on the difficulty, relative to the Souls games. I can't watch any reviews right now.

I know you can't summon.
If you put away your ego and watch enemies and what weapons may or may not work better then others I would say its medium. Its not as punishing as Dark Souls. That being said it loves multi enemy battles and that can take a big swing at your planning at first

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like the first one and from the looks of it I won't like this one either.

I really didn't like the first game but ended up loving the second, as I mention in the review, the setting really sold it for me. Things like NPCs being about and factions in the city was done well. I also think the world is well connected with shortcuts and the like.

Oct 29, 2017
Nice! My biggest issue with the first game was its bullshit last level. I thought it was an absolute pain to navigate and explore, which was suprising given the excellent level design in earlier areas.

I remember not being the only one who complained about this, so I'm glad to see they seemed to seem to have addressed this in the sequel. I'm going to wait a while to get it because there's simply too much going around right now for me and I still haven't gotten around to playing Greedfall, but I still can't wait to play it!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, ACG says buy so I'm in. Now I need to see a DF analysis to determine version. I prefer DualShock for these games.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely on the easier spectrum of Souls-likes. I went through the entire game with a Heavy Duty (then switched to Hammer) weapon and parried my way to greatness.

Enemies give you enough tells on their method of attack and there's a very early mod you can equip that shows you the direction of attacks. Most bosses will be required to be parried multiple times in order to get staggered, but once you get a parry, it's essentially a guaranteed Cut when it comes to farming parts.

You'll get level I-IX upgrades in NG and then X-? beyond in NG+. I've seen at least XIV upgrades and I'm sure it goes up much higher towards the end of the second run.

but does ironmaus return???

Yes, he can meet up with you in a certain area. I accidentally let him die and looted his gloves from his cold dead body. Hoping to keep him alive ala Solaire and get his armor set.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I really didn't like the first game but ended up loving the second, as I mention in the review, the setting really sold it for me. Things like NPCs being about and factions in the city was done well. I also think the world is well connected with shortcuts and the like.
That's uplifting to hear, maybe I will grab it when it's discounted then.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Definitely keeping this one in mind for later (too much on my plate already).

Since From seem to be stuck in the "super dark fantasy" swamp, this could get me that sci-fi fix.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely keeping this one in mind for later (too much on my plate already).

Since From seem to be stuck in the "super dark fantasy" swamp, this could get me that sci-fi fix.
I admit thats one thing I love. The almost dumpster chic fasion everyone has cracks me up. Its such a cool mix.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
If you put away your ego and watch enemies and what weapons may or may not work better then others I would say its medium. Its not as punishing as Dark Souls. That being said it loves multi enemy battles and that can take a big swing at your planning at first

Thanks! I'll watch your review later. Did any Bosses or sequences take you more than 10 attempts to pass?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
does it still play a country song when you're at bonfires. that's all i need to know

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Thanks! I'll watch your review later. Did any Bosses or sequences take you more than 10 attempts to pass?
jumping in to say that the bosses are again the weakest thing. normal enemies and combat is much more enjoyable and difficult. boss fights are pretty lame, better than the first game, but still not that good

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm maybe not 10. Wait no one did. ya one SOB absolutely did. I couldn't figure out how to take him down but switched my preset and then did fine

Sequences. Sure. A couple that I accidentally pulled tons of enemies into OR where environmental places I got killed on. Toxic poison in particular was my nemesis for awhile since I just didn't have stuff set up for it and by switching out my implant I had to then lose one which I loved and it caused me to have to switch up my game

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jumping in to say that the bosses are again the weakest thing. normal enemies and combat is much more enjoyable and difficult. boss fights are pretty lame, better than the first game, but still not that good

Boss fights tend to be my least favorite part of Souls-types games. I tend to just summon for them so I can go back to the part I enjoy: methodically making my way through the map. Are the bosses able to be brute forced generally, like grinding out if needed? Are there any ones that are a big wall or frustrating?