• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

CheerfulShockedClingfish.gif

PlainBlondHuman.gif

Last edited:

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
It looks like a solid improvement over the first game, which I enjoyed earlier this year. Is it still a 2019 game?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I am quite curious how this pans out during it's release, it does look like a significant upgrade over The Surge 1, and as From Software still persists in making Dark Fantasy over and over and over and over again I'll happily take whatever option anyone else tosses out. It was fun with Dark Souls, improved with Bloodborne, but then with Sekiro I just lost interest entirely and wish they would just make a mech game instead of tossing "dark and depressing fantasy" at just another medieval setting.

FeArTriX

Oct 26, 2017
Man are all games are coming on September?

Really intrested to try this one out

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Man this is looking good. I really enjoyed The Surge as Deck13 really showed they have the potential to carve out their own niche in this genre. Hopefully they take everything they learned and make The Surge 2 incredible.

September is too stacked.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Cohh on Twitch play the early release and it looks fantastic.

Many quality of life improvements throughout, better movement, world design and combat.

I really liked the first game, although was very aware of the potential to improve on many little things.

Oct 25, 2017
I am quite curious how this pans out during it's release, it does look like a significant upgrade over The Surge 1, and as From Software still persists in making Dark Fantasy over and over and over and over again I'll happily take whatever option anyone else tosses out. It was fun with Dark Souls, improved with Bloodborne, but then with Sekiro I just lost interest entirely and wish they would just make a mech game instead of tossing "dark and depressing fantasy" at just another medieval setting.
You think Bloodborne is medieval fantasy?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've watched a little of Lobos playing it early and the game does look really good visually. The clunky space marine look of the series still doesn't appeal to me at all, but if it's at least as good as the first game I'll pick it up on the cheap just like I did that one (will get round to playing it one day, honest).

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Die. Die. Die.

This looks frankly really, really good so far. I never played the original, but I'm definitely checking this out asap.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
It looks good ,I tried to get into The Surge but I didn't find the combat satisfying even though I did like the setting hopefully the combat feels much better this time around and they provide a demo to try it out.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm really excited for this. The Surge was OK, not great. I had major issues with some of the mob placements and at times the game just felt un-fun. This hopefully fixes a lot of those issues.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost annoying how good this game looks and how little most people online seem to care. I hope it breaks through once it's actually out.

This and Outer Worlds are my most anticipated games of 2019. Seriously. More than Death Stranding. I just want to play this.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
No, but it was another dark, gooey, depressing fantasy world. And while improved by the 1700-ish estetics, it was still in the same ballpark. And with Elden Ring it's just overdone now.
I agree with you. I'm dying for FROM to move to a different setting, with Sci-Fi horror being my preference.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hopefully we get some X footage sometime soon. The direct gameplay footage I've seen so far the anti aliasing was very visible which sucks. We've had a lot of very clean games lately and that really stands out.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
"THE Surge's combat is much better than Bloodborne and Dark souls but it never gets the praise from the community.
Subjectively, they are all doing different things with their combat and it will be up to personal preference which feels more satisfying.
Objectively, The Surge does some nice stuff to mix up the "3rd person in-fighting" but ultimately falls short. Both the player and enemies have issues with their momentum and weight, leading to "floaty" looking animations and combat feeling less crisp.

I hope they tighten it up a bit with the sequel, but more than that it seems they're using the dismemberment as a bigger crutch than it needs to be.
Still, this trailer was miles better than the CGI one that came out around E3.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subjectively, they are all doing different things with their combat and it will be up to personal preference which feels more satisfying.
Objectively, The Surge does some nice stuff to mix up the "3rd person in-fighting" but ultimately falls short. Both the player and enemies have issues with their momentum and weight, leading to "floaty" looking animations and combat feeling less crisp.

I hope they tighten it up a bit with the sequel, but more than that it seems they're using the dismemberment as a bigger crutch than it needs to be.
Still, this trailer was miles better than the CGI one that came out around E3.

I watched cohh stream this for 8 hours. It's definitely tighter and faster, plus there's an innovative directional parry system to add a large skill component to combat that was missing before. In the last game -- I enjoyed that game, but there were some flaws and the lack of any real parry system meant the way you approached most enemies was pretty simplistic. Dodge in and poke dodge back out, or.. that's about it. You may be able to trade if you have the right build and the enemy is weak.

parry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYk8AQ1c58&feature=youtu.be&t=552

I also saw an npc boss that had to be parried multiple times in rapid succession in order to counter and it kind of reminded me of sekiro in how it looked.

incidentally, there are a bunch of new weapon types this time, including some genuinely innovative ones like this trick weapon type axe. It's a two hander, but you can split it into dual wielding for faster attacks, and this is based on your input timing with the combo.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37FU3xO6xcU&feature=youtu.be&t=629

If floaty footslipping bothers you, that's still in, but everything else is fixed or improved drastically

p.s. game also has ragdolling corpses now which for me is a big plus

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the impressions, Jobbs
Agreed, the directional parry looks like a welcome addition and a huge improvement over the hop/duck system in the original.
Didn't know multiple parries were a thing. That sounds pretty good.

Floaty footslipping is definitely a pet peeve of mine, but the other improvements are definitely enticing.
I think that between those combat tweaks, character creation, ragdolling and a change in locale, I'm sold on this.

Just holding out hope that the lore and NPC dialogue will be more interesting this time around.
(Being really picky about The Surge, but that's because it probably has the most potential out of all the big-budget Soulslikes and I want to love it!)

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This is looking really tight. I quite enjoyed the original (particularly the labyrinthine level-design), but it peaked way too early in my opinion, lacked solid boss fights and gained nothing from having a fixed protagonist. All of this seems to have been addressed in the sequel, so count me in. Deck 13 have stuck faithfully to their formula so I hope this is where they get their pay off.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this keeps looking very good. Nice improvements from the first game, character creation, better looking environment, nice visual fidelity that I'm not really used to in the genre, new cool looking weapons. Can't wait.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Yowie wowie this looks good! I haven't played the first as i got the sense it was simply Dark Souls with robots. Is it worth a try?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I keep looking at this gif -- can someone tell me what the hell is happeneing here? I cant piece together what I am looking at.

My best guess is that the woman is some kind of magical nanite woman or something and is shooting things at you with the force or something along those lines.