• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope the rest of CIT gets used at some point in DLC, there are too many floors you just go straight by. Every time I took that lift I was expecting an obstruction that would force me to take a detour through the labs.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
1 story expansion is pretty weak for a "season pass". That's like "1 DLC and some other bullshit". Hope it can be bought separately.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This weapon must be in the season pass, right? It's in the game already! I literally bought the game because of it!

6tjSKp6.jpg

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who buys the season pass you can find the borax mace on a guy in Port Nixon just by the entrance to the cathedral. Does poison damage and has a really awesome glowing effect on the blade portion

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fucking christ I cut the wrong leg off the hunter captain. Now I have to do another NG cycle for the Swiss army drone :(

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have the devs said anything about bringing the game to GOG? The first one is, as well as Lords of the Fallen.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
First DLC seems to be out, and from the description:

Expand your The Surge 2 experience with the Public Enemy Weapon Pack and get access to 13 brand new weapons. From pillaged CREO equipment to nanite-infected staves and recycled rotor blades, find the enemies that equip them, cut them off and equip them for yourself in your fight for Jericho City! The Public Enemy Weapon Pack is included in The Surge 2's Season Pass.

Now off to find it.

The problem is: can I found those weapons in the first game or does it have to be new game+?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
bought the game for 24 bucks used, played 2 or 3 hrs...

this is far(!) easier than the first game and it looks hideous/really low budget on the Pro. first game looked better. this one here has awful lighting, tearing, aliasing, it screams "rushed sequel" to me.

it is really uninteresting so far.. from areas over the characters to the challenge aspect. the whole vibe of the game is completely off to me. maybe it gets better later on but so far this is 6/10 material

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
man, this game is a real disappointment...nonsense sidequests, really easy for such a game, bad tech (the forest is screen tearing constantly) and the areas are just not cool...it is like one area hasn´t anything to do with the other, it is all separated from another...and the areas are all fairly small too.

this is exactly the kind of sequel which isn´t needed, they should have taken more time for this one, it is serviceable but nothing more and that isn´t enough for a second part.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
game gets a bit better later on, seems like it is laid out for NG+? they throw all these weapons and gear around, but you can´t really experiment with all that stuff because of upgrades. i think there are overpowered weapons though, they gave me some brass knuckles that do ridiculous damage, i am basically unstoppable now. as i said, the game is imo a bit too easy for a Soulslike

those technical issues are pretty damning...really baffling how they gone from a supersolid The Surge 1 to a screen tearing mess with overblown lighting and texture loading problems.

i assume there won´t be anymore patches tackling these issues...which would be a real shame, this game needs more polish, it was clearly rushed.

edit: found an article, this is exactly what i am thinking about this game

imo they really dropped the ball with this game

Last edited:

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm almost to the end (the wall) despite reliably frequent Vulkan crashes on PC. Spears and twin-rigged / punching seem a bit OP at this point, especially with certain rigs and mods.

I love the directional parry system. It's easily my favorite addition to the game. You feel really great hitting 3 in a row on a boss and staggering them for big damage.

If they do another, they really need to take the player to more environments; easily the weakest part of this game after the technical issues.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of picking this up in the current PSN sale. How/what does it improve upon the first game?
Implants can be changed on the fly instead of only at a med station. Upon leveling you can put points in 3 different stats (health, stamina, energy), a couple new weapon types. Level design is less confusing too (for better or for worse depending on you).

I'm sure there's more improvement on the technical side of it. Personally, I prefered it to the first game in almost every way possible, i'd say the original game was a lot more oppressive and atmospheric in term of ambience though.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I am nearing the end (bought it day one but got side tracked with a hundred other things) and I LOVE it. I am finding this one to be easier than the first game.

Bummer though: Side quest "The Witness" seems bugged for me :(

I have to meet Warren @ the train station but he is... just not there :/ I have the item needed, he told me to come there after leaving the CREO Institute... nothing weird compared to what I watched on YT.

Really annoyed because it is one of the last quests in my log. For now I am waiting for the next patch to drop and if it doesn't fix it, I'll just be a sad boy and finish the game with that quest left unfinished.

Already bought the season pass so I know I'll have more of the game though 2020. I hope it will gain traction over time. 'cause I won't say no to a third one.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I just started my Surge 2 playthrough. I'm looking over weapons so I can plan out my build, but I'm just a bit confused as to one point. From what I understand, the individual weapon your using more or less doesn't matter, but the specific weapon type does? Like all the one handed weapons are basically the same thing with slight variation on stats, and you just pick which looks coolest/has stats you like?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed the game yesterday... I am getting destroyed by the first boss (the Warden) lol... This is promising!

Enjoying it so far tho. I need to figure out what's up with the PC performances tho. It's playable but I'm having a real though time staying at 60fps on my GTX 1080...

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
So, did anyone try the DLC? I've read that, while the location is great, it's short. Probably a repeat of CREO World where, it was an amazing location but it didn't last long.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I just started my Surge 2 playthrough. I'm looking over weapons so I can plan out my build, but I'm just a bit confused as to one point. From what I understand, the individual weapon your using more or less doesn't matter, but the specific weapon type does? Like all the one handed weapons are basically the same thing with slight variation on stats, and you just pick which looks coolest/has stats you like?

Generally. Though there some differences IIRC in the heavy attacks. Do think there might be some other subtle differences too.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I got the game 2 days ago, got to the forest area today and I'm loving the game.
It's a shame so many people look down on this game because it's a Souls clone from a non AAA developer. Fallen Order is a bug ridden game with tons of jank in gameplay where things just don't seem to work as they should, but it frequents people's GOTY list, this one on the other hand is a finely tuned game with consistent timings in combat, good consistent performance (something neither From games nor Fallen Order has, and it matters so much in gameplaay) and just as much of a metroidvania with a labyrinth map design and all it gets compared to is Lords of The Fallen which wasn't even entirely Deck 13's project.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like you pretty much need to parry to succeed in this game. Once I realized this the game really clicked.

Is there any way to defeat shield enemies without parrying?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You can play without parrying, the game is flexible in that it provides you with a generous dodge mechanic that is super snappy, covers large distance and gives you a huge amount of iframes. So if you find dodging easier than parry you can pretty much dodge your way in all fights to either abuse iframes or to get out of enemy reach and jump back in for damage, whatever you prefer.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You can play without parrying, the game is flexible in that it provides you with a generous dodge mechanic that is super snappy, covers large distance and gives you a huge amount of iframes. So if you find dodging easier than parry you can pretty much dodge your way in all fights to either abuse iframes or to get out of enemy reach and jump back in for damage, whatever you prefer.

Imho the only boss that kind of needs it is Delver.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
65 hours to unlock all 1200 gamerscore. I give it 7/10. Better than the first game and looking forward to what comes next for this series.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Near Babylon Gardens there is a small hallway behind some boxes that's covered in radioactive material. I always planned to run down there after my health was increased a little,
but then the event happened. Is it possible to get to that area again after the event?

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Near Babylon Gardens there is a small hallway behind some boxes that's covered in radioactive material. I always planned to run down there after my health was increased a little,
but then the event happened. Is it possible to get to that area again after the event?

Yes, it is still accessible.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I went though it the first time that I came across the toxic hallway. I put on a complete set of Liquidator armor to get the full-set bonus of +200 toxin/fire/etc. defense, put on implants to further mitigate poison, and sprinted to the end. There is a health station at the end of the hallway, but I forget what is in the little room at the end.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I went though it the first time that I came across the toxic hallway.

Initially I thought you might get an upgrade so you didn't take damage in the area and attempting to make it through it without it, would be like sequence breaking a Metroidvania, but as the game progressed I could see that wasn't the case.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Got done with this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had hoped you could keep playing after completion, but you're thrown right into new game plus if you continue after the end, which is a bit of a bummer. I'd also have liked the option to do NG+ at the regular difficulty level, which apparently you can't. It can be fun to run through known areas again with massively upgraded equipment trashing enemies giving you grievances the first time through.

This was something I should have bought at release, but I didn't know the series had become almost essential to Souls fans. If they do a sequel hopefully they cut down on the darker areas. It felt like the last half of the game was one pitch black area after the other, which is a shame considering the excellent, though perhaps overdesigned, level layouts. The last 25% were also a tad too linear in comparison to the rest of the game, making everything feel like one long obstacle course.

Still an excellent game that's made me look forward to more from Deck13 and also go buy the first Surge soon :)

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to mention how much I like the inventory in this. None of the management issues of many other games, where you have to balance weight or limited space and constantly have to take things in and out of it. There's just room for everything the player collects, without having to spend downtime selling or dropping stuff. And you can easily mark your favorite weapons for quick switching and when upgrading stuff it doesn't just highlight the armor/stuff you're currently wearing, but even color codes your other suit loadouts as well.

Maybe some of the sorting could be handled better, but all in all inventory management never led to undue downtime, which is extremely rare in my opinion in this day and age.

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
Is it important to finish the First for 2? Played it to after the First Boss before it got removed in GP. It had its flaws, but I had funktioniert with it.