• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is this related at all story wise to the first game, or is it OK to just jump into this?
I want to play both, but this is all new and shiny.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is this related at all story wise to the first game, or is it OK to just jump into this?
I want to play both, but this is all new and shiny.

It's related insofar that it takes place after the first game and happens as a direct result of the ending of the first game. BUT your character is unrelated to those events and the story doesn't assume you know what happened in the first. You can even ask some NPCs about what went down in that game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's related insofar that it takes place after the first game and happens as a direct result of the ending of the first game. BUT your character is unrelated to those events and the story doesn't assume you know what happened in the first. You can even ask some NPCs about what went down in that game.

Ah, OK. That sounds like what I was hoping for.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the game closer to Souls or Bloodborne from a gameplay perspective?
Bloodborne to me. Healing with batteries this time around feels like it rewards you for playing more aggressive like with the rally potential in bloodborne. That said though parrying feels like a mix of BB gun parrying and DS sword and board lol

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I will say while I'm enjoying both games very much, this and Code Vein. Man, the difference in level design is massive. In Code Vein the levels are basically just corridors that just happen to eventually have short cuts going back to the nearest rest point. None of it feels very clever, it's just there. Not to mention some of the levels are long and everything looks the same. The game's (Not) Anor Londo area looks cool at first until you realize you see all the visual variety and level design in the first minute and it just repeats ad nasuem from there.

Versus say Port Nixon. It's incredible how many paths do eventually lead back to the central tower. And while it's not the most visually striking area, the level design changes things up as you go along so it doesn't feel like everything feels the same. Also it's great how you can tell where you'll be able to open up once you get your tools. It's really exciting.

I like both games but I wish Code Vein had more experimental level design.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Port Nixon in particular I opened a door and it was the medbay and I was generally shocked lmao. The level design is so goddamn good

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Port Nixon in particular I opened a door and it was the medbay and I was generally shocked lmao. The level design is so goddamn good

While I loved the shortcuts in the first game they almost were too samey? Like the amount of those tiny little lifts you took up and down were a bit much. I can't count how many times I used those. I like that they have a lot more variety in this.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Think I might pick this up on steam after work today. Seems like a really interesting game with positive impressions for the most part

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I want to say Bloodborne but it's almost entirely up to your playstyle.
Bloodborne to me. Healing with batteries this time around feels like it rewards you for playing more aggressive like with the rally potential in bloodborne. That said though parrying feels like a mix of BB gun parrying and DS sword and board lol
that's my jam. Thanks!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lame, I'm still using the VULTR Set. I haven't gotten another set I'd replace it with yet.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of gear sets, I miss that body pieces don't have a unique gear light even though most of them were so horribly ineffective. Like Lynx pointing right at the damn ground, or Bloodied Proteus' dark red lol

Edit: and on THAT note. How you gonna tease me with those Proteus models in Gideon's rock?

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Still can't get this game to load on pc, have tried deleting ini file and doing a fresh driver install.
I get the Vulcan error on startup if anyone knows a fix, running Ryzen/RTX.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
so are people targeting armored parts the first time to get the recipe/item and then going for unarmored kills?

I feel like I'm missing out on crafting items if I do that, but maybe it doesnt matter that much

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
so are people targeting armored parts the first time to get the recipe/item and then going for unarmored kills?

I feel like I'm missing out on crafting items if I do that, but maybe it doesnt matter that much

Once I come across new enemies I go for the schematics for each part first. Once I have those I'll farm mats if I need any at that point.

The only time I really go for unarmored kills is if there are multiple enemies.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

First thing I go for when I see a new enemy is the right arm for the weapon, then the rest.

Like Charpunk I only go for unarmored kills for multiple enemies ganging up on me.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I go for the weapon first and then one piece of armor to check to see what the set gives. If it gives more I'll go for it. I'll also go for body parts to just get upgrade materials.

Also when do you start getting Mod Upgrade Material III?

I have gotten 1, and all of my armor and weapons are Mark V.

I hate only being able to have 3 injections stored. Also would love it to heal more.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I go for the weapon first and then one piece of armor to check to see what the set gives. If it gives more I'll go for it. I'll also go for body parts to just get upgrade materials.

Also when do you start getting Mod Upgrade Material III?

I have gotten 1, and all of my armor and weapons are Mark V.

I hate only being able to have 3 injections stored. Also would love it to heal more.

I noticed that Implant Circuitry drops two levels below the enemy you get it from, when I cut the head off humanoid enemies that are level 4 I get level 2 Implant Circuitry.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just hate how little I health I get now since it's not health% based.

Ok it seems to be 2-3 levels below, just tested but the level 6 three leg dog thingies in Jericho Downtown drop level 4 Implant Circuitry if you cut tail which will get you to 2 pre charges at Medbay.

So far (and I only just beat Delver) nothing has dropped Level 5 Implant Circuitry.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
If I'm going to be really real with you for a second. I haven't upgraded my battery. Once.
Might want to upgrade it to 25 at least. The 4th battery is a lifesaver. With 2 stackable implants that prevent decay (one prevents 2 batteries, another 1 battery) you can always take advantage of armor sets that require at least 3 batteries for their bonus without having to regain energy or as a backup when you need to recharge your heal.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Might want to upgrade it to 25 at least. The 4th battery is a lifesaver. With 2 stackable implants that prevent decay (one prevents 2 batteries, another 1 battery) you can always take advantage of armor sets that require at least 3 batteries for their bonus without having to regain energy or as a backup when you need to recharge your heal.
Luckily you can respec for only 500 tech scrap :p

My battery shall remain forever 0.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Battery is a very important resource, because is something needed for both offense and defense.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that there is a drop off so I might eventually have to do battery. Like I noticed that stamina goes up very little now each level. But I'll see how much longer I can upgrade health before it drops off too.