• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
As I remember, MGR required you to press the attack button while pushing the stick in the direction of the enemy that is attacking you, right? In The Surge 2 you hold block then push the stick in the direction the attack is coming from to parry assuming the enemy is in front of you: so up if they're swinging overhead or thrusting, down if they're going for an uppercut, left/right if they're swinging their weapon at your left/right side. It only really works against enemies attacking you from the front (approximately, but there's a bit of leeway). It also needs to be timed properly to knock them back, improper timing will block the damage, really bad timing will let the attack go through. Blocking doesn't use stamina but parrying will, so parry spamming might prevent you from parrying at the crucial moment.

I'd say it's less MGR and more Mount & Blade.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there's also an implant that tells you which direction you'll need to parry when an enemy is preparing to attack you.
Thanks, you're right. In MGR you need to press attack instead of block.

Also, in the Jim sterling video, he says you can hold square (for chopping of limbs) while still doing regular attacks.
But can you also do regular attacks while holding the block button?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
But can you also do regular attacks while holding the block button?

Not really, but while blocking you can charge up an attack by holding an attack button. If you release the button you'll go straight back into blocking, whereas you'd just do a normal attack if you released the button early while not blocking. Bear in mind that charging up an attack drains stamina.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Not really, but while blocking you can charge up an attack by holding an attack button. If you release the button you'll go straight back into blocking, whereas you'd just do a normal attack if you released the button early while not blocking. Bear in mind that charging up an attack drains stamina.
Thanks for the replies. Look forward to playing it in a few weeks/months.

Love your avatar btw

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
After 5 hours with the game i can safely say that who gives a score under 7 to this game for the most stupid reasons doesn't understand a lot about videogames or they just hate soulslike genre...

The game except maybe for the horror atmosphere is better in any noticeable way.

Even more labyrintic level design but with a more clear way to remember places because is not samey factory shit all the time.
The level design in this game is crazy good onestly, better than any soulslike except maybe dark souls 1 (fight me)
More enemy variety
More weapon variety
More armour variety
The new cut limbs animation are a violent delight to watch everytime
More locations variety
More builds available
Better controls and feel
Maybe even more difficult than surge 1 (a plus for me, i really hate easy soulslike)
Directional Parry and other little tweaks to the combat
One of the best soulslike combat in the market, in the nioh\bloodborne tier with some weapon imho
Usefull and more varied drones
Better asyncronous multyplayer part
More bosses (i heard)
More npc and sidequest
Slightly better graphics (but worste performance).

If you are open minded about the surge saga and you like soulslike just buy the game already.

If you are on pc you can even fix performance with some tweaks.

P.s. do you know the secret method for the special weapon of the first boss? And maybe even the second one? There is a guide on the internet?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
After 5 hours with the game i can safely say that who gives a score under 7 to this game for the most stupid reasons doesn't understand a lot about videogames or they just hate soulslike genre...

The game except maybe for the horror atmosphere is better in any noticeable way.

Even more labyrintic level design but with a more clear way to remember places because is not samey factory shit all the time.
The level design in this game is crazy good onestly, better than any soulslike except maybe dark souls 1 (fight me)
More enemy variety
More weapon variety
More armour variety
The new cur limbs animation are a violent delight to watch everytime
More locations variety
More builds available
Better controls and feel
Maybe even more difficult than surge 1 (a plus for me, i really hate easy soulslike)
One of the best soulslike combat in the market, in the nioh\bloodborne tier with some weapon imho
More bosses (i heard)
More npc and sidequest

If you are open minded about the surge saga and you like soulslike just buy the game already.

P.s. do you know the secret method for the special weapon of the first boss? And maybe even the second one? There is a guide on the internet?
Thanks.
I would sign this immediately. I am shocked that it didn't review any better it's so much better than the first game.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I would sign this immediately. I am shocked that it didn't review any better it's so much better than the first game.
i saw review who straight up lies about missing features of the game...

inferior number of armours
inferior level design
etc.

i mean, wtf reviewers get your facts together for once...

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.
for little Johnny you have you cut off the pincers on the main body. They are next to the cooling tanks

for Delver (I think? ) I heard you have to do a charge attack on all his armored parts to break them each phase. I'm not up to him yet though

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick note, the first boss of the game is not
Little Johnny.

Every enemy that has a big energy bar on the top of the screen is considered a boss.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
for little Johnny you have you cut off the pincers on the main body. They are next to the cooling tanks

for Delver (I think? ) I heard you have to do a charge attack on all his armored parts to break them each phase. I'm not up to him yet though
thanks man.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh shit, if you go back to Brother Truman and tell him you
killed Brother Eli, he fights you and you can get his weapon, Brother Truman's Faith spear.

UnInvincible

Aug 30, 2019
Just finished this a little bit ago, really enjoyed the game overall. The last boss was probably a bit too easy considering I beat it on the first try, but it looked pretty cool at least. NG+ seems potentially pretty cool.
I didn't expect the short playable scene on the plane at the beginning, wonder how many other additions & differences there will be. Equipment being able to be boosted up to level 20 is nice too.

Always appreciate a stats screen after the credits too:
xM37orW.jpg

Bonus screenshot of my full astronaut armor set, I think it's pretty dope.
56UDyC3.jpg

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Just finished this a little bit ago, really enjoyed the game overall. The last boss was probably a bit too easy considering I beat it on the first try, but it looked pretty cool at least. NG+ seems potentially pretty cool.
I didn't expect the short playable scene on the plane at the beginning, wonder how many other additions & differences there will be. Equipment being able to be boosted up to level 20 is nice too.

xM37orW.jpg

56UDyC3.jpg
Only 37 death? You are good broh.

Also where i have to go after the meeting with brother eli after killing the first boss??

The church? The underground?

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Starting playing last night and absolutely loving the game so far. Cleared out most of Port Nixon but not seen the boss yet. Been using a mixture of single rigged and twin rigged weapons, the speed difference between the two is so crazy it's almost like playing a different game, both very fun to use. Difficulty wise I'd say this is slightly easier than the original, which for me was the hardest Souls like. That's not to say it's too easy, it's actually at a really good level so far.

I really like the addition of the online "player graffiti". It's pretty helpful to make sure you don't miss items off the beaten path and there's some funny stuff too.
GMethMm.jpg
I quite like the style of the graffiti, but sometimes there's a bit too much of it. When it's spammed everywhere it ruins the aesthetic of the game a bit, and can actually make it harder to spot the thing you're supposed to interact with. Still, that's a minor gripe, and seems to be less of an issue the further I go.

Also right behind where you took this screenshot is a person dancing, and someone had drawn a DDR mat underneath them lol

Damn, Warden Garcia with a 610 k/d... :P

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Crap, the new update introduced 1-2s freezes into my game every ~10-15mins. Good that I'm almost done :)

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention how much I appreciate this party system. Most games the timing is so tight I never bother with it. Here there's seems to be a bit more leniancy to make up for the directional requirement, and I find myself using it a lot more.

Also I've placed my banner in the same spot I think 3 times without anyone finding it, this is easy scrap :p

Just fired up the game and invert look was on for some reason. That was disorienting.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I finally beat that bastard
Little Johnny
. I did not enjoy that fight at all. There was a level of having to learn moves and patterns but the targeting system was unreliable, the camera was bad when near a wall, the frame rate would drop up close, and parrying was iffy. I'm glad it's over lol.

painlanguage

Jan 9, 2018
This game is such a blast to play. I'm glad they got rid of the weapon proficiency system. I've been using multiple weapons because of it.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Little Johnny
. I did not enjoy that fight at all. There was a level of having to learn moves and patterns but the targeting system was unreliable, the camera was bad when near a wall, the frame rate would drop up close, and parrying was iffy. I'm glad it's over lol.
YAY! Congrats! Did you get his v2 weapon?

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Only 37 death? You are good broh.

Also where i have to go after the meeting with brother eli after killing the first boss??

The church? The underground?

The overall difficulty of the game is quite nice. I died 34 times in 32 hours, which is not that bad. I feel that the balancing was well done and without any major difficulty spikes.

Little Johnny

Parries are great against larger bosses. They also work well against human sized bosses, but I think they work better against larger and/or faster bosses.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Aaaaand finished it. My first souls-like game that I actually finished :D The thing that stood out the most for me was great balance between difficulty and accessibility. Great game and I actually liked that the last boss wasn't that much difficult (one shotted it) :)

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
YAY! Congrats! Did you get his v2 weapon?

Nah. I was so annoyed by the lock on constantly losing track of the tanks I decided just try and win the fight. Felt great to get past it, lol. Only the final boss in Sekiro annoyed me as much as this. It's funny how people can breeze through a notoriously hard game and get stuck on what many think is a relatively simple boss in another game.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Wellp I know what is my moment of the year from any videogame this year.

Game is great, difficult and then there is a narrative turning point that makes the game even harder and that was for me pushing it to almost unfair territory.

Also I love how it acknowledges The Surge 1 and even continues it. Thank heavens the "it was all a nightmare" theory isnt true.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
All the stuff I'm seeing about this makes me really want to start up the original finally

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Cervantes. I'm Level 41. I have weapons upgraded to IV and maybe armor set is pretty solid.
I think my tactic for that guy was getting the jaguar armor (the stealth soldiers) , and getting the Gaia spear and just hitting him as much as possible. The attack speed on those things are massive. Oh and use the EMP drone as much as you can to stun lock him . Good luck!

Edit: You get that spear from the statues in Gideon Rock

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I think my tactic for that guy was getting the jaguar armor (the stealth soldiers) , and getting the Gaia spear and just hitting him as much as possible. The attack speed on those things are massive. Oh and use the EMP drone as much as you can to stun lock him . Good luck!

Edit: You get that spear from the statues in Gideon Rock
Any tips on the statues? I've been running past them because they just rekt me. I could probably farm a set of Jaguar armor though.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

xM37orW.jpg

56UDyC3.jpg
That set is sick!

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

More enemy variety
More weapon variety
More armour variety
More locations variety
More builds available
Better controls and feel
More bosses (i heard)
More npc and sidequest

Thanks.
Co-signed.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017

More enemy variety
More weapon variety
More armour variety
More locations variety
More builds available
Better controls and feel
More bosses (i heard)
More npc and sidequest

Thanks.

I got the first one in NG+ by parrying and cutting the right arm. Could've sworn I did the same thing for the second boss (didn't get the trophy when I earned it in NG)