• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clownio

Oct 29, 2017
7-8 hours in, I would say that anyone who enjoyed the first one will definitely enjoy this one even more.

The shortcut loops in one particular early level are amazing and very well put together. There is some very fine architecture design into this, similar to what the first Dark Souls did with its (almost) entire world, only in a different scale.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
And so I end my first night on the first boss. I like that this boss had a decent bit of build up to it so it didn't just show up out of nowhere.

Unless somehow it really is short. I can for sure say that I will be not beating this in 11 hours like I did the original haha.

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours in, and genuinely surprised at how by-the-numbers this game feels. The first game was *really* close to being something pretty good, so I figured the sequel would easily surpass it and improve on the formula significantly; The Surge 2, so far, doesn't do much differently, and what little it does introduce seems misguided to me. Visually, I appreciate that the game is more colorful, but the technology doesn't feel very different, and some of the weightiness of the first game feels missing as well. The story is bare, and the main character is a step backwards from the first title in my opinion, though it is nice to be able to do some simple customization there.

Overall, the game isn't bad, or even mediocre, it's decent, but it's weird to see that it isn't better than this.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
A couple hours in. So far it feels pretty similar to the first game, which isn't bad because I did quite enjoy the first one.

I'm a bit iffy on how I feel about the directional blocking, I can't remember if that was in the first game or not, but it feels like a new mechanic. I have an implant that tells me the directions, but I feel like without it, it'd be pretty damn hard to read some of these moves otherwise.

Also just like the first game, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly when I can do the finishers to chop limbs off. I thought it was when the armor goes down all the way, but I'm finding situations where I'm able to do it when the armor is barely halfway down.

So far the level design is pretty decent, but I'm not super far in so I can't comment on it very much yet. I've only really wandered about in the outdoors area outside the tutorial section. I found a few neat shortcuts, but I'm gonna need to give it some time to see how the environments play out later. A big complaint about the first game was how samey everything felt, I'm hoping this one varies it up a bit.

Regardless, I'm enjoying it, I love "souls" style games and the difficulty so that's enough to keep me trucking through even if I end up finding that it isn't too much better than the first game as I go along.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Also just like the first game, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly when I can do the finishers to chop limbs off. I thought it was when the armor goes down all the way, but I'm finding situations where I'm able to do it when the armor is barely halfway down.

I think it has to do with your battery. I have an armor set that removes the need to use battery to do finishers but without it if you get the armor down really quickly and don't have any battery then you can't do a finisher.

Also I think it also has to do with enemy health. Ultimately I think the lower the health the less the armor needs to be fully destroyed. Still enough though that you can't just cut off an armored limb without first damaging it a bit. But that might just be me spit balling haha.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I have only played for a couple of hours, but this feels like a really good Dark Souls clone

I enjoyed the first game, especially its unique free form customization system based on power armors, but it had this unappetizing oppressiveness about it. The levels were barren, hostile and claustrophobic, mostly office/industrial areas, but the small number of outdoors areas felt the same. In addition to this, the lore was substandard as well, so the levels mostly felt like generic Dark Souls style obstacle courses. I thought some of those obstacle courses were quite clever, but the lasting impression you were left with was that the levels weren't very memorable. The uncharismatic main character and often boring plot made things even worse, encouraging many people to abandon the game after only a couple of hours.

As far as I have played, the sequel resolves most of the main issues with the first game. The game starts out in a beautiful post-apocalyptic city that has obviously improved environmental variety. There are oppressive moments, but they are now well balanced against more easygoing gameplay moments, and a larger focus on interactions with NPCs. The exploration feels extremely rewarding, including a large number of clever shortcuts and some pretty neat hidden areas with bonus items. The plot has been open (you create your own character), mysterious and satisfying.

Meanwhile, the power armor customization and combat are still as addictive and fun as in the first game. When you meet a powerful non-respawning enemy, you have to strategically consider what body part you want to cut off to enhance your own character, and it is a very real possibility that you will fail and leave empty handed. So, combat works on at least three levels, where the win/lose state is one level, resource management is a second, and maximizing gained items is a third.

I would highly recommend this game for Dark Souls fans!

Mar 21, 2018
I really enjoyed the first game despite its flaws. As long as the sequel is as good then I'll get my money's worth.

How's the PC version? I'm wondering how it'll fare at 4K on a 3570k/GTX1080.

Oct 25, 2017
The first (real) boss is a mess.
Has like 3 different forms of health and the game isn't clear about any of them, and does all kinds of boring elemental damage, and to rub it in is more or less a retread of one of the first games (far superior) bosses
. Pretty poor impression of all this so far; especially since the level was just a mess of poison pools with relatively boring encounters designed to be cheap, but not particularly fun.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
So... Everyone's impressions of it so far is that it's pretty good?

Looks like I'll be waiting for a sale, since I'm a cheapskate.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like this game really wants you to do directional parrying, and I'm really bad at it. Feels quite a bit harder than The Surge 1.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
reviews I've read all say it's a big improvement on the first game...but members here are saying it's pretty much the same...which is it?

Oct 27, 2017
3 hours in, and genuinely surprised at how by-the-numbers this game feels. The first game was *really* close to being something pretty good, so I figured the sequel would easily surpass it and improve on the formula significantly; The Surge 2, so far, doesn't do much differently, and what little it does introduce seems misguided to me. Visually, I appreciate that the game is more colorful, but the technology doesn't feel very different, and some of the weightiness of the first game feels missing as well. The story is bare, and the main character is a step backwards from the first title in my opinion, though it is nice to be able to do some simple customization there.

Overall, the game isn't bad, or even mediocre, it's decent, but it's weird to see that it isn't better than this.

Played a few hours and agree wholeheartedly

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on PS4 Pro notice that the brightness slider does VERY little to actually remove the crazy high amount of brightness in this game? Feels super washed out because of it. I turn it all the way down and the 'the lower part is no longer visible' logo image in settings is still VERY much visible. I don't think it really changes much at all from brightness at full to brightness at zero.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone make a decent looking male character? lol no matter what I choose they come out looking ooooold, even if the age slider is set the lowest, it's like they are all 50+ looking dudes from any of the faces you can choose from.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone on PS4 Pro notice that the brightness slider does VERY little to actually remove the crazy high amount of brightness in this game? Feels super washed out because of it. I turn it all the way down and the 'the lower part is no longer visible' logo image in settings is still VERY much visible. I don't think it really changes much at all from brightness at full to brightness at zero.

The Brightness option is broken on PS4 and Xbox.
The PS4 version has been a fixed a little worth the day one patch, but it doesn't function as it should

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

This was the biggest takeaway I tried to illustrate in my review. Throughout my time with the game I constantly felt like it should have been more of an improvement on the first. It seemed almost like the team had a grander scope that the budget possibly couldn't support? Some areas are improved but others weirdly a step back. It became especially apparent when I switched back to the original and played them side by side - it was quite a shock in fact. It's not a bad game, but for me it felt like much more of a side step than a step up.

Last edited:

painlanguage

Jan 9, 2018
Played a couple hours and I'm enjoying it. I've been using a spear weapon. Usually in these games I use a heavy weapon(I used the PAX Imperator in the first game), but the spear has such a fun moveset.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Played for 2 hours on ps4 pro. Framerate is good in performance mode, only the screentearing that happens sometimes is annoying. Game is a blast to play and the gameplay loop of farming body parts already hooked me. Can't wait to play more in the evening!

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me or the game looks worse than the first one. The ligtning is... weird.

yeah, it's often, lacking in contrast and is quite flat. It's as if it should have ambient occlusion switched on but theturned it off.

Ive been quite suprised by how low texture quality is and I've had it on several occasions not load them in.
I do think that there are a coupe of patches worth of fixes that haven't arrived yet.
Beyond the resolution I think the PS4 version looked a bit better and I can see that it had had some fixes that the Xbox version hasn't. It's also 20% bigger in file size.
There were 2 patches for the Game in the last 7 days

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Yea, "flat" is a good word to describe it. Really weird considering how good the original was in terms of presentation.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Is it just me or the game looks worse than the first one. The ligtning is... weird.
Yeah. The volumetric lighting was set to very high by default and everything looked very flat. Turned it down to high and I believe it looked actually better? Like the very high setting was bugged or something.
Had to turn the game off right then because I had to take off, so I gotta test things later.

Edit: This is on PC, of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yea, "flat" is a good word to describe it. Really weird considering how good the original was in terms of presentation.

you really notice it in well lit areas, the intro and when you are first in the street areas.
It's less of a problem when it's dark.

it's also far more pronounced in HDR, where the image is overbrightened in the shadows. I'm not sure if it's carrying across it's gamma correction from the SDR mode.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
One thing I do like that's new- your dropped tech scraps act as a beacon that regenerates your health, so if you do die near a tough enemy you can use it for a while to keep you living a bit longer , then when you pick it up it gives you full health.

Also, the world has so many more shortcuts and is clearly much more interconnected.
I've managed to explore my way into some new areas where the enemies are a bit tougher, but I have made some shortcuts so I can get out of the area I was focussing on.

this is a big change, in the original game I felt like you were in the same gameplay loop until you were strong enough to brute force out of it and into the next zone, although the areas themselves were linear, the progression between them did feel that way.
That is really not the case in the sequel

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Performance on my rig are quite mediocre.
2070super/8600k and i can't have 60 frame rock solid at 1440p with a mix of medium-high-ultra.
Greedfall is better looking and run much better...

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The directional blocking is straight up kicking my ass on pc using a kb/m.

Like I'll get the pop up, move my mouse while holding control and "sometimes" it works and other times it doesn't, I feel like I'm missing something.

Literally couldn't get past the first boss cause I suck so bad at blocking lol.

Up to that point blocking worked with just a button press (no directions) and it worked 100% of the time til now.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Like I'll get the pop up, move my mouse while holding control and "sometimes" it works and other times it doesn't, I feel like I'm missing something.

Up to that point blocking worked with just a button press (no directions) and it worked 100% of the time til now.

I struggle with it, I seemed to do ok early on, but am sucking later on. I'm not sure if there is a stat that affects it.

I don't think you should be blocking when you see the white marker, rather when it makes contact instead.

Last edited:

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017

It was clearly made for gamepads. Personally, I'm just dodging and avoidong parrying/blocking :)

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the first game more than I thought I would, so I'll surely pick this one up at some point. Probably wait for a couple of patches first.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else still love Deck 13's mechanic of getting more scrap the longer you keep killing enemies for? It's such a nice risk-reward system. On one hand I love upgrading my stuff but then I look at the over 2x tech that I'm getting per kill and my thought process becomes... "okay, I can go a bit further".

This has for sure already got me in trouble a bit in this game haha.

I noticed that implants and armor set bonuses that give increased scrap don't actually increase the base scrap enemies give. Rather it starts your multiplier already higher. (Mine is like 1.4x on first kill, so you get to 2x much faster.)

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Game is pretty fun so far, 2 hrs in. I can't parry for shit, though, I always dodge.

Looks pretty terrible in Performance mode, 1X.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you want to upgrade your leggings, and then use lv 3 material to downgrade to lv 2 material and then upgrade the leggings to then only realize you upgraded the wrong legs haha.

Dec 6, 2017
US

This was the biggest takeaway I tried to illustrate in my review. Throughout my time with the game I constantly felt like it should have been more of an improvement on the first. It seemed almost like the team had a grander scope that the budget possibly couldn't support? Some areas are improved but others weirdly a step back. It became especially apparent when I switched back to the original and played them side by side - it was quite a shock in fact. It's not a bad game, but for me it felt like much more of a side step than a step up.

I feel like I liked The Surge more than a lot of posters on here whenever it comes up yet this has been my biggest worry about the sequel. Based on following the footage, this was the vibe I was getting so I can totally see me feeling similarly.

Much like with Nioh 2, I'm looking for these Souls-like franchises to evolve instead of simply side stepping, which both seem to be doing.

The new setting, cult plot and some additions I've read about aren't my cup of tea on paper either, will wait for a sale some time down the line.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
The first boss is properly kicking my arse. I think I'm using weapons with too short a reach because I'm really struggling to hit his arms after taking out his legs. Plus all the stun mines on the floor are really annoying.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Can anyone speak to the game's technical performance on PS4 Pro? It's the only thing holding me back. The first game crashed the shit out of my Pro.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't found it myself but isn't it past the security checkpoint?

Also has anyone found out how to get to the item behind the first mag lift you go down after escaping the prison?
Go up the stairs behind the lift. Don't go into the lift, go slightly to the left/right and you won't get "beamed up".

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I feel like I liked The Surge more than a lot of posters on here whenever it comes up yet this has been my biggest worry about the sequel. Based on following the footage, this was the vibe I was getting so I can totally see me feeling similarly.

Much like with Nioh 2, I'm looking for these Souls-like franchises to evolve instead of simply side stepping, which both seem to be doing.

The new setting, cult plot and some additions I've read about aren't my cup of tea on paper either, will wait for a sale some time down the line.
Yah I similarly really enjoyed the first game and also have not really been all that into the stuff they've shown leading up to the sequel. I liked the darker, more claustrophobic feeling of the original facility but had issues with how uninspired some of it looked. This sequel doesn't seem to really fix those shortcoming as I've heard the levels are still just as monotonous in tone and look. I was really looking forward to this but now I dunno.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly it might be using a controller but the parrying seems super easy to me...
Really liking this so far