• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
fantastic OT.

it's surge time
CZuOGfh.gif

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well, now that the embargo is up, you can find my review here:

The game is a massive improvement over the first, I really wasn't the biggest fan of the first game so this really did surprise me. The main selling point for me was the setting, thought it was much better and it felt pretty lived in. I imagine if you was a fan of the first, you'd enjoy it even more than I did.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Much to my great surprise, I really liked the first game. I keep going back, and forth on whether I should buy this game now, or wait until later. But then I come to my senses, and remember that the game is incomplete, and I will be able to buy it later for a steal with all of the DLC.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
My review isn't done, but unless this game falls apart hard in the second half, I'd say it's a good 4 out of 5 (I only use whole numbers).

Ok can someone say how many bosses are there? Spoiler ofc.
According to the review guide, there are
boss fights, but I wouldn't personally count the first one they have listed, maybe the first two as they are very much tutorial bosses.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Devs who have a distinct AA budget will never get scores that automatically get considered with some devs

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see a lot of people really not feeling the game especially with some of its performance issues in the later half of the game and some wonky elements but I love me some enemies who's spirit animals are trash cans

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Time to start my game. Probably shouldn't have made the review thread since that will need to be updated haha.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
The armor looks so much better this time around.

I'm about 2 or 3 hours into the original and am trying to decide whether its worth it to keep going. It's better than Lords of the Fallen, but I can't seem to decide by how much.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey just an FYI. I changed my controls around (using Xbox pad) and then decided to go back to defaults. For some reason the default makes Jump and Injection Cycle to nothing. When they should be Left Stick Press and Right on the dpad.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Quick heads up to PC players, turning Vsync off seems to cap your framerate at 60? Turning it onto adaptive gave me an uncapped framerate. Nooooo idea, but whatever.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Quick heads up to PC players, turning Vsync off seems to cap your framerate at 60? Turning it onto adaptive gave me an uncapped framerate. Nooooo idea, but whatever.

I had vsync off and framerate was capped at 60 but it was not really smooth. I think everything started behaving as normal after I set both resolution and windowed resolution (I believe that's what's called) to the same value (4k).

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So once you get into the city... anyone know how to get the item up the fire escape just behind the anti grav thing?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Damn at the shimmering in the X gameplay video. But that's performance mode, does it look a lot cleaner in resolution mode?

Odelpha

Oct 17, 2018
Focus is on a fucking roll ! They just published Greedfall and now this ! They should be considered AAA.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you try Code Vein's demo? That game is a hell of a lot better than the first Surge game, if the demo is anything to go by. I quit The Surge 1 one hour in because it was a borefest.

I don't know how you can say Code Vein is a hell of a lot better based on an extremely rough demo and only playing an hour of The Surge. You've literally played neither game enough to make that claim.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What is going on with the sound mix?

Everything sounds muted and tinny. Combat noises are mixed so low I can barely hear them. The music is Crystal clear though.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
What is going on with the sound mix?

Everything sounds muted and tinny. Combat noises are mixed so low I can barely hear them. The music is Crystal clear though.
Noticed that too. Just got to the boss in the opening area and everything just sort of felt quiet outside of the music.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Iceborn is going on hold for this (which already put remnant from the ashes on hold). I have my vacation put in for friday so I will have 3 days to game out. So excited to play it!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Man it sure would be nice if the proving grounds weren't complete garbage for loot.

Edit: wrong thread oops

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What does "disassble metal scrap" do? Is there any reason not to do that?

Always do it. Just like in the first game and all the souls like games, metal scraps just give you tech. Rather than using one individually you can just wait to get to a medical bay and scrap them in one go.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else stuck and can't run the game? After downloading it when it goes to do the first setup thing it just hangs there and doesn't do anything.

Edit - nm, I'm an idiot, it was throwing up a warning (behind the steam overlay where I couldn't see it) about my graphics drivers not being the most recent up to date ones.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Game runs really smooth for me on a 2080 TI, only thing to note, I had to enable vsync in game, or the gsync was disabled. I typically would leave vsync in games off, while forced to on in Nvidia Control Panel, but that doesn't work here for me. Id say I'm getting 100+ FPS with all settings maxed, 3440x1440.

painlanguage

Jan 9, 2018
Shouldn't even be buying this considering my financial situation but fuck that, pre- ordered.

LOL. Same situation for me. I was going to wait a while to get this but I just finished preordering and I'm dl now. I did enjoy the first one and got to play it since it was a ps plus game. This looks similar but improved upon so I'm sure I'm going to like this one even more.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
LOL. Same situation for me. I was going to wait a while to get this but I just finished preordering and I'm dl now. I did enjoy the first one and got to play it since it was a ps plus game. This looks similar but improved upon so I'm sure I'm going to like this one even more.

I put about 100 hours into The Surge, the DLC was amazing too

Hope Surge 2 gets DLC later on as well.