• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm certainly interested, I liked the first game a lot, want to replay it and beat the dlcs first though before I invest in the second game.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I didn't try the first one because I don't find the art direction interesting. Plus it didn't look that good from the reviews.

I might try this one though. It sounds like they made some big improvements.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You know what they mean if you've played it :/

20170511153259_1.0.jpg

It even has eight limbs lol.

I've played it , quite a lot actually

I count 6 And 2 wings. It also spends the whole boss fight flying :p

it's called Firebug, it's definately more insect than Arachnid

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly looks very interesting, but for my taste it relies too much on it's Souls inspiration and doesn't include enough Sci-Fi stuff. There would have been a great chance to enhance the magic gameplay of Souls with all kinds of guns, gadgets or hacking and the like but we haven't seen anything like that yet.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The Surge was one of my top 10 GOTY of 2017. It's the most competent Souls-like, just below Nioh and it's a crime that people just skip the game altogether.

That said, I'm getting The Surge 2 but not at launch. September is too packed and I have other priorities.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The environments still look uninspiring, so that's a hurdle they haven't cleared yet.
I find it odd that you cited level design as a particularly negative part of the game. How far did you get into it? I found the level design in most of the first game to be one of its highlights. It was very strong, and even when in the bowels of some factory where everything kind of looks the same, things are laid out so well that it all makes a strange kind of sense, with instances of shortcut discovery delight that I hadn't experienced since the original Dark Souls.

To each his own, I guess. It is a difficult game and I suppose that stopped some people from fully appreciating it.
To each their known, no? Unless if The Surge was played exclusively by males :P

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's certainly looks very interesting, but for my taste it relies too much on it's Souls inspiration and doesn't include enough Sci-Fi stuff. There would have been a great chance to enhance the magic gameplay of Souls with all kinds of guns, gadgets or hacking and the like but we haven't seen anything like that yet.

The drone kind of does that, but in the first game it was always an aid to melee combat. In addition to a fairly weak laser attack (which was basically just used to lure enemies and shoot down enemy drones) you could equip it with a flamethrower, an ice-blaster, a magnet to pull enemies, a headbutt function to interrupt them or an energy shield to reduce damage to yourself. It looks like they're improving its ranged capabilities in the sequel and using ammo instead of your energy bar it should be usable more consistently.

From what I've seen in the early game there are also a lot more enemies with guns and gadgets of their own (for example, an enemy throwing down a ranged turret and a human boss with a back-mounted grenade launcher which you obtain after beating them).

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing The Surge. For a soulslike, it's not too bad but I could see a lot of ways that a sequel could improve upon.

This video confirms they mostly got it down. Though i feel the level design is the weakest aspect of the game Unfortunately, you can't tell from these previews if they improved on that.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Because they released 2 bad games in a row. Zero expectations for anything they put out.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Sunhi posted a pretty fantastic looking gif from an early they got to play.

I'm excited to give it a shot, but the first wasn't very good at all.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't play the first Surge but I just find the game visually uninteresting ? Yeah the combat looks cool but the environment and character designs seem very uninspired, maybe it's something that'd get better the further you progress in the game..

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah pretty weird that everyone is fighting melee in a scifi future to be honest.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the first game was pretty decent. Not amazing, but a competent-enough Souls clone. The bosses were by far the weakest aspect of the game.

I actually didn't mind the samey industrial environments and labyrinthine level design. The sequel seems to be pushing for greater variety in enemies and environments and the DLC seemed to have gotten pretty out there (I never played them though) so hopefully it does better in that regard.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah pretty weird that everyone is fighting melee in a scifi future to be honest.

The excuse in the first game was that it was a factory so heavy industrial equipment was way more common than guns, and a lot more effective against rogue robots and heavily armoured personnel. Even security officers were equipped with melee weapons for the most part, since it was meant more as anti-riot equipment. There look to be more guns in the sequel, from what I've seen, as well as equipment people are using to defend themselves against guns so maybe that'll be the logic this time around.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the first one although it did seem interesting, I've been playing a little of the second though and I really like it, I love the combat, it looks and feels really good, and each new weapon type I tried all feel that way. Level design is cool as well, I'm having fun exploring the area unlocking shortcuts back to the main hub, so yeah, overall I found it's pretty good so far.

6K7tQGr.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Both of their attempts to clone the Souls style have resulted in a fairly medicore experience. It feels like they are using Dark Souls 2 for their base or something.

Nothing they've shown from this seems to indicate they've figured it out yet.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I had a great time with Lords of the Fallen but the Surge just seems so bland to me; Yeah, the gameplay is definitely an upgrade, but the world, lore and art style are totally not there. The game looks generic overall and i'm pretty sure the story is not good enough to make up for it.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I'm also really liked the first game - one of my favorite in 2017. The risk / reward combat was really satisfying and fun. I just wanted more open areas - look like i got it.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
This was not on my radar at all but Damiani from EZA was streaming it last night and it looked pretty fun, will most likely pick it up in a sale around Christmas

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people get art style and level design confused though they are heavily intertwined. I'd say The Surge had really good mazelike level design but the art style left a lot to nge desired.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Both of their attempts to clone the Souls style have resulted in a fairly medicore experience. It feels like they are using Dark Souls 2 for their base or something.

Nothing they've shown from this seems to indicate they've figured it out yet.

I never played Dark Souls 2, what are the main similarities between that and The Surge?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Not sure if this is in the upcoming game but they should have inserted some ranged weapons creatively. It's sci-fi after all.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The Surge is one of my favorite underrated games. It's so much fun once it clicks. And I LOVE the theme park DLC!

Cannot wait for Surge 2!!

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
When I want a dose of souls like,which is only now and again,I go to the people who do it the best....From Software...the imitators in this genre have not even come close to From's design.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Why? Because robots are always less interesting than fantasy beasts and Lovecraftian horrors. Enemy design and (lack of) variety was a serious issue in the first Surge and this looks no better.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Interested but not day one interested. I like what they have been showing so far but the combat still feels a bit outdated compared to its inspirations. That Sunhi gif is the best showcase of the combat I've seen so far. Wish more was shown of the other weapons instead of that janky ass giant mace/hammer thing.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I put over 100 hours into The Surge + DLC.

The game is almost perfect to me. I can't wait for the second, I'm sure it'll be just as great.
The game is nothing like Lords of Fallen, I fucking hated that game.

www.twitch.tv

Fextralife - Twitch

Fextralife is a gaming community & game news source fueled by a team of dedicated gamers! We play Action, Adventure and RPGs, some Survival & FPS too!. Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3 hype! Check out our 200+ Wikis, reviews on Youtube & more! This week STREAMS: BG3, Overwatch, Genshin Impact!
preview stream of The Surge 2 going on now.

The Surge was one of my top 10 GOTY of 2017. It's the most competent Souls-like, just below Nioh and it's a crime that people just skip the game altogether.

Yep, agree.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Really don't like the games theme and aesthetic.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the original, even beat it two or three times but right now I am swimming in great games to play, and everything I'm seeing from the sequel doesn't really look all that different so I'll be keeping an eye on this one and possibly playing it much later in the year/next year depending on available time.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot here that I find really appealing, but I have given up on trying to force myself to like these kinds of games. The Soulsborne style just isn't for me, regardless of quality.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I really liked the systems of The Surge, especially targeting different limbs and such for weaknesses. However the game itself got too repetitive and it didn't feel there was too much unique about it. Not enough weapon types and the armor didn't jump out at me despite the cool attack and loot system. Also the environments were eh.

I'm keeping an eye on Surge 2, if they build on the systems I liked and make things stand out more, it could be a really good game.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
The first game was hot garbage and Lord of The Fallen was one of the worst games I have every played, so excuse me if I have my reservations on the sequel.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The Surge was bad. Terrible controls, boring environments, awkward combat. Never liked the weapons and armor, either.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I finished the first and loved it but it definitely took a while to hook me in. Glad I stuck with it because I am pumped as hell for this game. Looks incredible!!

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Because the moment the buy guys started to get flame throwers and super armor ohk aatacks, the surge became anti fun.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
As a spear / dex player in Souls games, there were a few fun weapon setups that I liked in the Surge. I didn't care for the boss fight towards the end (the security guy?) that pretty much forced you into heavy weapon use to beat them. I got to the final boss, fought it a few times, and just stopped without finishing it. It wasn't a bad game, but I had no desire to NG+ it the way I've done in every souls game, which is likely why I just gave up at the final boss.

They get major props for the 60FPS or resolution option on the X however. I'm hoping that returns if they can't keep 60 with graphics.

As someone else said earlier, The Surge is significantly better than Lords of the Fallen, so if Surge 2 follows the same improvement trend, it should be a pretty good game. I'm going to play it, certainly.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Because the moment the buy guys started to get flame throwers and super armor ohk aatacks, the surge became anti fun.

Some of the funnest enemies if the game.
Flamethrower just go behind them, easier enemies in the game.
The super armor (which there are only a handful in the game) were fun because there were only enough to get one piece of armor from each to get the full set.