• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing this too! Fell deeply in love with 7 Remake and 7 OG, so now I'm planning to go through ones I've missed now that new releases seem to be effectively paused (at least for games that I care about). Planning to go chronologically but might break it if people think there's a better order?

Right now I've got:
- IX
- XII
- The XIII Trilogy
- XIV Complete Edition
- XV

and hope to grab X whenever it goes on sale again on switch.

Think I'm most excited about XIV based on the reception I've seen around here, but I'm pretty nervous about jumping into an MMO. Is it pretty easy to get into for a new player?

Yup. Actually if you wanna hold off juuuuust a bit longer on jumping into XIV they are actually getting ready to drop a patch that streamlines the original storyline so people can get to the expansion content quicker. Its pretty easy to get into. Easy to play with both Keyboard or Mouse and the community is pretty friendly.

I wouldn't be too nervous. They've done a ton of great QoL work to ease new players into the game now. And if you need community support I think ERA has a Free Company on the Ultros server and Giantbomb also has their Free Company on Ultros which I'm a part of.

Aug 28, 2019
I will probably do a new playthrough of FF1 and give FF2 another shot. Maybe even do FF4 again or try the After Years. I doubt I'll play all of these, but I'll play at least one.

I bought the remastered FF8 the other day and tried it out, but the 15fps battles just look and play awful. I haven't decided if I will stick with it or refund it.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
This is absolutely nuts. I'd hate all these games within a few weeks, and I actually like these games.

Ricitor

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I wish you luck on this lunatic journey. Of that list, IX is the only one that I gave up on because of Jump Rope. Fuck that trophy into space.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I'm having a KH Summer after my 100 hours with FF7R.

I'm back into a RPG groove after 7 Remake.. that game was incredible.

One of the best things I ever did. That deep dive (heh) enriched my fondness for the series and with that my critical engagement with it. Before I knew it I was studying Yoko Shimomura sheet music, doing Lvl 1 Crit Runs, and chaining memories leitmotifs on an investigation wall out of sheer joy.

Anyway, good luck OP. I'm thinking of doing a similar thing with Yakuza, but I'm not sure if I'll push through with it.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
This will fall on deaf ears, but forget about the trophies. Just enjoy the games. And take some breaks or the burn out will be nasty.

I started an FF series marathon myself... 3 years ago lol. I'm still out there jogging. Mile XII, baby! x_x

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
They're all easily doable except 14.
There's 2 trophies that are particularly horrible (1000 fates 1000 levequests).

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Nice idea! However FF14 isn't really about the trophies...

I am also doing a FF summer run. I tried 8 and 9 on PS4 and then decided to go back to the PS3/PS1 versions...these ports are so rough. Can't do 16FPS battle menus and no Analog control.

Sep 7, 2018
I'm curious does IX's trophies include getting Excalibur II?

Oh and my plan for the summer for gaming is probably finally playing Final Fantasy XIV and Uncharted 4.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
As a Final Fantasy fan, I don't recommend you play all of that without taking a break. I tried with IV and V but couldn't, had to take a break.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with VII Remake and am also in the mood for more Final Fantasy.

Picked up the FF XII: Zodiac Age remaster during the recent PSN sale, think I'll play through that next.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Wanted to do something similar, but:
- FFIX : I'm not jumping that rope. There's a way to automate it using macros on a Remote Play window, but whatever
- FFX : I'm not grinding to fill the sphere grid for every character. Would take hours to fill them up even with unlimited spheres and levels, because of the level up animations
- FFX-2 : I'm not going to patiently watch every single cringey cutscene without ever skipping any. Also, have to play with a guide and strictly follow every little step
- FFXV : just tried to replay it because they say it's a better game now. They lied.

So I'm just sticking with VII, VIII, XII, and Type-0. Would have loved to replay the XIII trilogy if it was available on recent consoles

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
OP, I basically have played XIV nonstop since late March and I *just* got to Shadowbringers... that's with a headstart of a few dozen hours before I dropped it the first time.

Good luck.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I would keep XIV off this list for sanity and move Mystery Dungeon up to give you a break between so many "epic world ending" stories. Really just to stop burn-out and a different experience.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
0.jpg
😂😂😂

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
One summer is only enough time to do like 2-3 of those games tops unless you have the entire day to play.

madame x

May 15, 2020
hi im doing the same, but also dragon quest as well, i finished 1-3 of FF and 1-3 of DQ (along with 11), but im doing FF7 remake now and nostalgia is hitting me hard. cant wait for 4-6 because ive heard great things. 2 was a huge slay

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Update: Little over a week later I'm done with FF7...well technically not yet. ..but I did beat Ruby&Emerald weapon and finish up every other trophy except finish the game and getting to lvl. 99 which I will do tonight.

Now,I could go in order and start 8 but I thought I'd mix it up. So my next game is going to be Final Fantasy Type-0.

Have never finished this game so it should be fun to see where it goes. It also seems like a rather breezy Platinum trophy compared to FF8 and FF9 so I'll probably space the larger games out with some of the smaller spinoff games like Type-0.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Running through ARR isn't actually that bad, as long as you know what you're doing. The trophies are pretty easy too, the only hiccups probably being the levequest and FATE ones.

the true dumb shit's all in the in-game achievement system lol

GidbinN

Nov 29, 2019
(backstory: I finished FF 4, 10, 12, & 15)

I'm about 1/3 through Final Fantasy 13 now, definitely looking forward to credit rolling it this summer.
I have a save game for FF7 right before the final boss fight, I just need to ... figure out how to beat the final boss.

I also really really liked FF4, played it on SNES and GBA. I want to playthough the 3D remake on PC.
After these I think I'll be done with FF franchise for a very very long time.

Nov 23, 2017
Have fun trying to get the FFX chocobo racing trophy. Those damn birds!!!!!!

I'm trying to platinum FF XII so I can put that game away for good. I'm stuck on trying to fill up all the maps. I'm so lost lol

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't wanna create a whole new thread but completed FF7 OG and have a few passing thoughts coming off of it for the first time in like over 15 years.

• First off, the game still holds up. I think the blocky graphics come off as like... weirdly charming to me now?
  • The Materia system is great as always. Being able to find hilarious combinations that lets you exploit enemies weaknesses is always a fantastic time.
  • I was extremely caught off guard by how much I teared up during the Cosmo canyon section. Seeing Nanaki finally realizing why his father never came back and the sacrifice he made for the village and how much pride Nanaki felt for his father afterwards just hit me like a goddamn sledgehammer.
  • Boy, they really do just leave the most ambiguous ending ever at the end don't they? Really curious if the Remake's ending will be as ballsy.

Oct 27, 2017
We had a 'summer of dragon quest' on gaf 5 years ago, where you just played through any DQ game you wanted. Crazy people could probably marathon the entire series in that timeframe, but that was obviously not the point, anyone could join. Would be up for it if this forum tradition came back

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, my plan is just beat all the offline mainline FFs post-7 that I never played in between now and before 7 Part 2 comes out, at least.

Though, don't do 14 in this quest of completion. Just because it has a number on it doesn't mean it's the same beast as the rest on your list.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny, that's what I am doing right now.

It's been great, haven't played VIII in years so it was a perfect opportunity to buy it when it was on sale a few weeks ago. Battle system was confusing to me years ago but this time I think it's one of the best if not the best battle system in the series, it's so refreshing and also, the game is so relaxing I didn't want it to end and I am actually thinking of replaying it sometime soon. I think the biggest disservice is the actual tutorials and huge fonts that made it confusing also the abbreviations like why would you present it this way?

-FFVII (Done)
-FFVIIR (Done)
-FFVIII (Done)
-FFIX(Waiting for sale)
-FFX(Waiting for sale)
-FFXII (Done)
-FFXIII (Will wait for remaster)
-FFXIV (Working on it)
-FFXV (Done)
-FF Type-0 (Done)

I don't plan on playing the spin offs because I would rather spend that time playing XIV or any other game.

About XIV, try plying it for a few hours daily then switch to a pure single player game so you don't lose interest in either games.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been years since I've played it but afraid the battle system is too slow for me now since there is no speed up option. Was it hard to platinum?
Which FF are you reffering to? Every game I mentioned outside of X has the speed up option.

FFX took me like 115 hours to platinum. It's a great battle system but the sidequests and sphere grid wore its welcome out really quickly.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Which FF are you reffering to? Every game I mentioned outside of X has the speed up option.

FFX took me like 115 hours to platinum. It's a great battle system but the sidequests and sphere grid wore its welcome out really quickly.

Filling the sphere grid is legit one of the things I'm dreading most in this stupid venture. Lmao.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I beat VII remake I've been playing so much FF XIV. Beat Heavensward and just started Stormblood the other day, but I'm sidetracked by playing Hidden Gorge again and again for the tomestones.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Filling the sphere grid is legit one of the things I'm dreading most in this stupid venture. Lmao.
Best of luck with this trophy and the Dark Aeons. Even after maxing out your stats in the sphere grid, you're still not good enough to fight the majority of dark aeons. It was at this point that I kinda gave up on beating all of them "legit" because the devs clearly didn't care about my time. It takes no skill to mindlessly clear, fill, and activate luck nodes over and over so I just paid Yojimbo to auto-kill the rest of the dark aeons. I'd recommend doing that if you're wanting to save an additional 10-15 hours lol

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Was considering going for the plat but I saw the sphere grid trophy and just knew the hours that would take and nope'd out. Did get OP and get almost all the ultimate weapons tho. Was just missing wakka's and khilmari's at the end since I didn't use khilmari much anyhow, and after doing a league of blitz ball and realizing that it wouldn't count towards getting wakka's weapon, I bounced hard.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sorry, I meant FFX.

Yep, I knew it. That's why I think I'm going to wait for the inevitable PS5 update that includes the speed up function like the one in the PC version. Meanwhile, I will focus on FFXIV and wait for a FFIX sale.

I might do Chrystal Chronicles HD if it relates this summer though :D

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Girl I spent 45 hours on Chocobos mysterious dungeon and was bamboozled by its difficulty. Legit gave the final boss two chances then moved on to FFVIIR lol. You must be v hardcore cus to me that game was HARD. Funnily enough all through my playtime of FFVIIR I've been thinking about it more than FFVIIR lol

I'm planning to play WoFF:M . Never played it and it looks like something I'd obsess over

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
FFXIV is going to piss you off so bad with the trophies. If you never started it's even worse. Wait until the patch happens at least.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is going to piss you off so bad with the trophies. If you never started it's even worse. Wait until the patch happens at least.

I've already almost got almost all of them. Been playing FFXIV since 2014 just never bothered finishing up the last few crafting ones that I have left.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think 90% of the trophies are easy to get; especially with Quick Synthesis but doing the 1000 Levequests will definitely take time because you're only allowed a certain number of quests to do each day which will take months.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
The only trophy I'm missing from FFX is the sphere grid. I was essentially 99% of the way there, but it's way too tedious and I've never gone back.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I am doing something close to that.
Wanted to finally clear up my FF gaps during downtime this year.

so far managed to complete FF12, FF13(already played that one, but 100% it this time and found whole new areas i completely missed the last time) and am currently a good 10h into FF13-2.
Bounced of hard from FF14 sadly, just couldnt get on with the battle mechanics anthe MMO nature of the game, no matter how good it is.

after 13-2 im gonna play Lightning returns, then try for the 4th time to play FF15.
Maybe after that(and a pause of FF while i try Xenoblade 1 for the first time) and FF 8 that is waiting on switch for me, there could be a pc version of FF7R so i can try that too, dont like the look of the battle mechanics, but maybe i wouldnt bounce off it like i usualy do with FF7 normal game.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I've already almost got almost all of them. Been playing FFXIV since 2014 just never bothered finishing up the last few crafting ones that I have left.

Oh that's good then. However, i've been playing a really long time now and I still cant find the will to get those boring trophies. I wish the expansions and especially Shadowbringers had trophies just to create more of an accomplishment. I hate ARR with a passion.
I think 90% of the trophies are easy to get; especially with Quick Synthesis but doing the 1000 Levequests will definitely take time because you're only allowed a certain number of quests to do each day which will take months.

I gave up on that. Levequests are absolutely useless in current game, imo. Stuff that bored me to bits is stuff like the fate trophy also which I do have but MAN is it boring.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I gave up on that. Levequests are absolutely useless in current game, imo. Stuff that bored me to bits is stuff like the fate trophy also which I do have but MAN is it boring.
Agreed.
You should do FATEs and Levequests to live up other classes but still meaningless and boring.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
well I already had the winter/ spring of final fantasy when I played
WoFF
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX
FFXII
XIII
FFXV

back when those that released on switch came out.
Just got done with VIIR

I'm waiting for a good way to play 1-6 (hopefully some switch ports or collections or something)

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
after 13-2 im gonna play Lightning returns, then try for the 4th time to play FF15.

I hope you have fun, Lightning Returns is sick as heck and has a great battle system! Just rememeber that the time limit doesn't matter that much, but some quests you accept have to be considered in regards to the time, like that one where cultists are obviously trying to ambush you.

As long as you are taking on the Main Quests in a, aha, "Timely" manner, you will be able to handle anything the game throws at you. If you learn how to time blocks properly, and make sure to set up your three schema properly, you can totally destroy whatever comes your way!

Traditionally, you want a physical attacker, magic attacker, and a defensive schema. Like in the other 13 games, staggering leads to a ton of damage, and mixing physical with magical attacks will lead you to stagger effectively in most situations.

as you get further, you'll get schema that will have special effects and built-in abilities that will allow you to do some crazy bullhonkey, but for most of the time, this set-up will serve you well! Just make sure you time getting to the Defensive Schema well, and apply buffs and debuffs when possible to make your attacks better.