• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Greatest movie experience of my life was Interstellar on a true imax screen

So amazing I did it twice despite having to travel to a different city by ferry to do it

I drive three hours to see Dunkirk on 15 perf 70mm IMAX.

That's presentation though.

There's no reason in 2021 to use 70mm for acquisition. None. The right DP can do it with digital.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
This was pretty fuckin good! I enjoyed how fuckin dour it was through out despite all the wild good times going down.
Very little stupid decision garbage to move the plot. I felt more for Staro than I did many MCU villains which was hilarious to consider.
Gunn just knows whats up. I hope the next guardians is great and they hand him 2 more SS movies.

8.5/10

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Thinking about it, Starro was pretty weak wasn't it? The JL would have had 0 problems fighting it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I was convinced he was going to die when he was leading the charge into Starro.

So convinced that I absolutely cried from intense relief when he just snuggled up on Bloodsport's leg all happy and content

Sebastian is top tier comic book movie book movie character
Yes, yes and yes :)

As someone who had rats for years, this whole character made me smile a lot during the entire movie.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, Starro was pretty weak wasn't it? The JL would have had 0 problems fighting it.

It depends a lot on nearby hosts. If it takes over Green Lantern or Superman, for example, the Justice League is kinda screwed. Of course, given its size, there's a pretty good chance it isn't the original one either.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved this movie, but I do admittedly think that pre-pandemic it would've hit me a lot different and less positive. The tone is coming from a place that makes a lot more sense to me now, in my latest kinda fuck-all, doomer-ass mentality that I've started to let sink in.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
This was... a movie, I guess? I laughted once or twice, but the general tone of the film was all over the place, and not even close of what I expected of James Gunn.

This was supposed to be an All-Star roster of DC Comics' B-plot villains misfits, which was well established after the death of the 'decoy' team, but it then later changed gears to become... an R-Rated Fast and Furious spinoff movie with weird superhumans? Bloodsport bacame The Rock, John Cena was Jason Statham, and everybody else was whoever the now "anti-hero plot" needed them to be. Weirdly enough, Harley Quinn also was arround being the same aimless character she has been for at least 5 movies.

Funny enough, this is now the second Suicide Squad movie that ended up NOT being what the trailers hinted at.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
It depends a lot on nearby hosts. If it takes over Green Lantern or Superman, for example, the Justice League is kinda screwed. Of course, given its size, there's a pretty good chance it isn't the original one either.

I dunno, it seemed pretty easy to avoid becoming a host. Polka Dot man was just swatting starfish away with his hands, Harley just blocked her face with her arm... No one in the League would get infected when they have heat vision, super speed, wear masks etc.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a missed opportunity that no members of the squad or other superhumans got controlled by Starro.

sort of agreed, though the movie is more of a gut punch by having a character turn on everyone else completely by choice.

sidenote, starring is literally a red, (slight flecks of) white and blue star brought to earth by Americans while destroying a Latin American country. The metaphor here is just, damn

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
MoS >>>>>>>>>>>>>> WW.

WW is so overrated imho, Gal Gadot is so so bad at acting and it's not even funny.

100%. I don't understand the love for WW.

MOS, while heavily criticized, at least had a different take, Snyder tried to do for Superman what Nolan did for Batman. People can argue at his execution but that's the context of the films release.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Watched it tonight and thought it was fantastic, delivered in all the ways I expected Gunn to. Occasionally falls into the blueprint trappings most super hero films do, but for most part circumnavigates gaudiness in favour of colour, character, authenticity, and a self aware kitsch. Big, bright characters and personalities shepherd the script through absurd, hilarious scenarios that unravel in order to serve momentum to the narrative, much of which are evocative of true comic book pulp. More importantly though Gunn elevates the silliness and absurdity with strong delivery of a humane message and genuinely important social and political commentary.

It's not some ground breaking masterpiece or genius nuance, but it's carefully constructed with all the love, sense, and intelligence you want from the best films within this genre.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is, by a significant margin, my favourite film in the MCU. And this is marked similarly for DC's modern output.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of my earlier surprises in this movie was
Captain Boomerang dying early. I'm not particularly familiar with DC lore, but it was my impression that he was one of the fan favorite characters of the original movie, and I figured he'd have some plot armor after looking at which characters they deemed important enough to put into the Suicide Squad video game. I guess they needed one early death on the recurring character side to hammer home the fact that anyone can die though, and Harley Quinn was definitely not gonna be that.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Loved the movie but mostly it was so fun finally going to a "packed" (within restrictions) theatre after one year. At the ending with starro as the mother just everybody bursting out laughing and cheering.
The movie ending battle was so good, one of my favorite from superhero movies.
Think the movie worked better than GotG2

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
What is everyone's thought about this particular thing both movies do:

In both Suicide Squad movies there's a moment where it is demonstrated the real threat of the bombs in their necks.

How do you think it was handled in both versions? This is basically Slipknot's death vs Savant's death. How effective are they to make the point across? What do you think about the build up? What did you feel while watching them?

The sequel did it better.

I may be biased because the scene from the first one is based on a scene from the comics, which they completely botch and it ruins Boomerang's character.

Boomer does talk somebody else into trying to run, but he knows full well it might be real. He coldly uses the other guy as a guinea pig, not giving a shit what happens to him. Movie Boomer, on the other hand, just comes off as a dumbass.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate how Gunn portrays violence. Harley Quinn's John Wick moment being the exception.
I never watched Birds of Prey so I might've missed context, though during the first half of that action scene I remember telling myself "this isn't quite how I imagined Harley Quinn to be like in action scenes".

Then during the second half I told myself "James Gunn probably really wants to do another Lollipop Chainsaw"

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I never watched Birds of Prey so I might've missed context, though during the first half of that action scene I remember telling myself "this isn't quite how I imagined Harley Quinn to be like in action scenes".

Then during the second half I told myself "James Gunn probably really wants to do another Lollipop Chainsaw"

You should watch Birds of Prey.

And I should buy Lollipop Chainsaw on eBay. (great avatar, btw)

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Polka-Dot Man has really grown on me, and his death presented as a lark soured the movie for me. I know that he's always intended as a joke character, but his death just feels mean-spirited to me. It reminds me of a certain someone's death in Deadpool 2.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You should watch Birds of Prey.

And I should buy Lollipop Chainsaw on eBay. (great avatar, btw)
It's a rough game in quite a few respects but I've built a delayed appreciation to it after acquainting myself with Gunn's oeuvre. Both his style and creative ensemble is felt all over the game. (Also thanks!)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Polka-Dot Man has really grown on me, and his death presented as a lark soured the movie for me. I know that he's always intended as a joke character, but his death just feels mean-spirited to me. It reminds me of a certain someone's death in Deadpool 2.

I found his death to be tragic and emotional

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I appreciate how Gunn portrays violence.
All thanks to his background in a little indie company called
TromaLogo.png

<3

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
This was... fine? I mean, some jokes landed and the action was really well shot in spots, but I thought the characters were pretty flat, and the pacing was all over the place. GoTG had a lot more heart, this felt like a subpar Fast and Furious.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
100%. I don't understand the love for WW.

MOS, while heavily criticized, at least had a different take, Snyder tried to do for Superman what Nolan did for Batman. People can argue at his execution but that's the context of the films release.
WW was a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun watch Imo and outside of the final boss battle I enjoyed the various battles more. Also, loved that it was a period piece

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

That's my only real complaint about the movie, I really wanted him to live. With him dying none of the full tilt joke characters make it. Ratcatcher historically feels like a joke character but compared to Polka Dot Man she's on another level.

I might have been more ok with it if it'd been more 'heroic' but it's kind of silly that neither her nor Bloodsport saw the attack coming.

Considering his powers if there's a sequel I wouldn't be surprised at him being resurrected.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This and Birds of Prey were the only fun DC movies. I guess Shazam too. SS was a better movie than both though -- like, a top to bottom good movie. I liked every character.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Surprisingly liked it a lot. I love the over the top gore. This is much more a James Gunn movie than those watered-down GotG movies. They also made the giant monster work, that's pretty rare in these kind of movies.

Shame about the blink-and-you-miss-it Lloyd Kaufman cameo, I wonder if they cut it down to what isn't even half a second. At least he's technically still in it I suppose.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This was... fine? I mean, some jokes landed and the action was really well shot in spots, but I thought the characters were pretty flat, and the pacing was all over the place. GoTG had a lot more heart, this felt like a subpar Fast and Furious.

Yeah, sadly I didn't like it even though I was really excited to watch it.

Oct 27, 2017
Feel good movie of the summer.

Watch the Steve Yedlin resdemo vids and give up everything you've ever believed about cinema resolution. Feels so good to stop believing the hype.
It's not hype when you've seen it with your own eyes. No digital camera can replicate that shallow depth of field that IMAX can produce at that size. Your point is also moot since it doesn't matter what resolution the digital image was captured in since it'll still only be projected digitally in 4k at most. A true film projection of 70mm IMAX is still leagues ahead of what you'll see by any digital presentation.