• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm happy with Netflix, HBO Max and Apple TV and every few months Hulu. Disney has been awful to me outside of Mando and Hamilton.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
What are people subscribed to?

We've got:
- Hulu
- Netflix
- Amazon
- CBS All Access
- Peacock
- HBO Max
- Apple TV
- Disney +

We dropped cable at one point but now we have a friend whose Optimum access stuff we use and download all of the apps for the channels soo I guess that's a wash in way as we still like some cable stuff.

It's crazy.

I pay for Netflix, Bundled Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime. I generally watch Netflix for the originals and food docs and Hulu (which has FX and Starz deals). Then I watch HBO Max for HBO and Doom Patrol. Prime Video is really just a bonus, but I love their original content also.

All that is still much cheaper than a cable subscription.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is exactly what everyone wanted
Not at all. People wanted a la carte from one TV provider who licensed it all, but Netflix shifted that to people wanting a super-streaming service because Netflix was $8 and had deals with everyone, with only a little competition from Hulu.

Instead of a la carte content through one provider, we have 10 big websites with exclusive streaming shows.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
peacock losing shrek when it was literally plastered all over advertising is just fucking hilarious

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
I'm happy with Netflix, HBO Max and Apple TV and every few months Hulu. Disney has been awful to me outside of Mando and Hamilton.

We're lucky that we like a lot of the old content like the propaganda shit they produced for the theme parks etc. The doc type stuff they've made for it is good too like the Prop show etc.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's super weird the way licensing issues are fucking with the studio services. I'd have expected D+ and HBOMax to just... keep their stuff, their stuff. I wonder if it's a teething pains thing or what?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what everyone wanted
This definitely not what everyone wanted lol
People just wanted to easily stream as many movies and shows as possible. Even before original content.

This is a mess, trust me nobody wants three or more streaming services. It's a clusterfuck. At least AppleTV (the device) makes it easy to browse, but then that's another complete throw-down of unneeded cash. Completely asinine.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
The splitting of services and paying more is what everyone wants? What
Yup, everyone wanted a la carte. Here you are.

Not at all. People wanted a la carte from one TV provider who licensed it all, but Netflix shifted that to people wanting a super-streaming service because Netflix was $8 and had deals with everyone, with only a little competition from Hulu.

Instead of a la carte content through one provider, we have 10 big websites with exclusive streaming shows.

So everyone wanted a fantasy and wouldn't listen to people who said they wanted puppies and rainbows, free kittens and ice cream every day. That's their fault.

i want to make a million dollars an hour at my job.

the channel is only $2 to your cable provider because they are getting 20 million people to pay for it. Once that goes away, you get exactly what people said you would get. Less content for more cost

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to keep ripping discs I buy and build my own library on my computer. It's been much more satisfying than endlessly browsing stuff on streaming sites and then ending up on the same show I've seen a million times.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way any of these are profitable right? sole of these are gonna have to die off in a few years.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care about legacy stuff I guess. Netflix has the most new content so it's my favorite.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is just changing the way people consume content. It's probably not a huge issue because your average consumer doesn't feel the need to subscribe to everything at all times, or the need to have a sense of faux ownership over these libraries. If there's some hot new series or movie on a service, they'll sub for a month or two. If a movie or show isn't on the service they have, they'll watch something else.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
There's no way any of these are profitable right? sole of these are gonna have to die off in a few years.

My guess is that the survivors wil be Netflix, Disney +, Amazon Prime (but only because it's a side gig for them that enhances their Prime benefits), and maybe some melded version of Warner Bros./AT&T. The others will be absorbed or gone.

Or maybe Quibi will rule them all, lol.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yup, everyone wanted a la carte. Here you are.

So everyone wanted a fantasy and wouldn't listen to people who said they wanted puppies and rainbows, free kittens and ice cream every day. That's their fault.

i want to make a million dollars an hour at my job.

the channel is only $2 to your cable provider because they are getting 20 million people to pay for it. Once that goes away, you get exactly what people said you would get. Less content for more cost
Nah. People had hope because Netflix grew spectacularly in revenue and struck huge deals with many of the big studios including Disney, Sony, NBCUniversal, Warner, and more. There was a short overlap when HBO Now became a cable-free add-on for stuff like Apple TV and Prime that people hoped the exclusives and extras could also be part of a Netflix streaming subscription hub.

Companies even tried it. Sling, Hulu+ Live, and more tried to bundle content in smart ways with partnerships from Disney, NBC, and more.

Sure, wasn't meant to be at scale. But we lived a long time only needing one TV provider, and for a while only one streaming service was scoring a selection making people subscribe in droves. It's willfully obtuse to act like people were wrong for pushing the cohesive content services they were used to. They knew a la carte would be more per-brand, but the hope was you didn't need to either take it all with cable, or have almost nothing if you pick just one streaming brand. Netflix was winning it all for a time, but now no subscription service is that fulfilling with one log-in anymore and you need a bunch of different websites to feel like you are approaching that level of value.

the issue is less about the price of your a la carte options and more about how spread you need to be to access them easily as people hoped.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is that the survivors wil be Netflix, Disney +, Amazon Prime (but only because it's a side gig for them that enhances their Prime benefits), and maybe some melded version of Warner Bros./AT&T. The others will be absorbed or gone.

Or maybe Quibi will rule them all, lol.

HBO will definitely be successful. Or are people worried their original content will suffer since that head creative guy left last year?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I love JustWatch, but their API tends to have issues with placeholders or special channels

For example paw patrol shows as streaming available on Amazon prime Video, but it's not really, it's on their 'Noggin' streaming profile on Prime video, still a great service tho.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is still the best, I have a year of Disney Plus due to the lockdown. But yeah, I think Netflix is enough for the most part.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
This didn't start this summer though. Disney+ revealed the new trouble of the movie studios failing to hold their films even after adding them to their services was going to be the way it goes for a while. They have already lost Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides and The Sandlot twice, they lost Home Alone early on, and others are expected to continue to rotate.

I was shocked to learn Disney+ loses movies. Pirates 5 comes out this weekend, and I was planning a binge watch of the series. Now I gotta wait again.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
...and that's before you get to the international versions of each of these.

On Aussie Netflix I can see all
The Matrix and JPark movies, but not the Potters.

I've recently gone back to buying movies since getting a UHDBD player, and it's been a nice reminder of both quality and the little rituals of loading the disc etc that create more of a 'thing' when watching a movie, rather than just flicking through a catalogue

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. People had hope because Netflix grew spectacularly in revenue and struck huge deals with many of the big studios including Disney, Sony, NBCUniversal, Warner, and more. There was a short overlap when HBO Now became a cable-free add-on for stuff like Apple TV and Prime that people hoped the exclusives and extras could also be part of a Netflix streaming subscription hub.

Companies even tried it. Sling, Hulu+ Live, and more tried to bundle content in smart ways with partnerships from Disney, NBC, and more.

Sure, wasn't meant to be at scale. But we lived a long time only needing one TV provider, and for a while only one streaming service was scoring a selection making people subscribe in droves. It's willfully obtuse to act like people were wrong for pushing the cohesive content services they were used to. They knew a la carte would be more per-brand, but the hope was you didn't need to either take it all with cable, or have almost nothing if you pick just one streaming brand. Netflix was winning it all for a time, but now no subscription service is that fulfilling with one log-in anymore and you need a bunch of different websites to feel like you are approaching that level of value.

the issue is less about the price of your a la carte options and more about how spread you need to be to access them easily as people hoped.

once there was money to be made, anyone that owned content wasn't going to sign it away to Netflix. It's success was only going to drive holders to make their own to keep more money to themselves

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
once there was money to be made, anyone that owned content wasn't going to sign it away to Netflix. It's success was only going to drive holders to make their own to keep more money to themselves

Not to mention, we shouldn't ever crave for the idea that one company controls it all. That's too much power and control in the hands of one company where we would have no alternative to deal with.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
To be fair Warner isn't necessarily losing things as much as stated they plan on curating and rotating. Plus a lot of the movies they get and lose (and will continue getting and losing for years to come) is due to HBO as a first run premium channel, which has always made it and it continues that while it has less selection than most others it's also mostly newer, just out of theater films that you usually have to wait a few years to show up on Netflix or Hulu if ever.

Honestly I feel It's BS that you have a movie and then just randomly take it off on a rotation. It bothers me more with that then something leaving a service because it was under contract to leave.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much of a clusterfuck streaming is I've been pleasantly surprised how streamlined digital ownership has been. Vudu/movies anywhere/amazon/iTunes/etc seem to seamlessly sync up for movies you purchase and have digital codes for. We have basic Netflix cause wife watches, but any movies I want I wait till Black Friday sales and buy them up at $5-10 at that time.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
My original plan was to rotate services, but honestly Netflix is good enough. It's hard to ever cancel because the content is robust enough that normally either my wife, my kids, or I are watching one of their shows. It feels like I'll never actually watch everything on my watchlist because they generate enough original content continuously. They're not perfect, but it's a great value.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this was bound to happen.

I definitely understand not wanting to let one company have full control where they can do what they want content and price wise, but streaming is one of those cases where most people want the "one and done", reasonably priced solution like Netflix was back in the day when it was cheap and basically the only show in town.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Netflix is so ingrained that it's basically the default service. You have Netflix even if there isn't something you're watching at the moment. You subscribe to other services because they have something you want to watch. You're subscribed to Netflix because it might have something you may become interested in.

That's why I'm still sticking with them. Nothing beats their sheer variety and it helps their original content is still a tier above everyone aside from HBO.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
The way cable is handled (with tons of worthless TV channels and shows) leads me to believe that we will continue on a track where more and more niche services will be available.

Eventually, one or two big players may merge, but not in the next few years.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Hulu with HBO add-on is where I spend the vast majority of my streaming time. They dominate the TV show game. Netflix is an always renew though just because I keep up with numerous series there.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix. The Prime Video sub comes with my Prime sub so that's not even a choice I consciously made. Netflix has a lot of watchable original content. I don't care about old movies or TV shows. Most of that stuff is readily available elsewhere.

I got a 1 gig internet connection that downloads 1080p video in minutes.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Went to watch Mad Men tonight and found that it's been removed from Netflix for about a month.

Really cool.

Honestly can't wait for all this crap to settle.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
The worst part of it all is when content disappears you have no clue which service actually has it. My wife has never seen shrek and I remember it was on Netflix U.K. a month or so ago so I boot it up. Nowhere to be found. Thought I'd check Amazon prime. Nope. Google it. Nothing but shite results. Luckily I had the dvd stashed away in the cupboards and watched it in its SD glory.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Complaints about there being too many streaming services drive me up the wall. You don't need everything. Just get what you want, that's what's good about it. Messy rights stuff suck and no one wants having things disappear and reappear on their services of choice constantly, but less streaming services isn't gonna solve that, unless you want everything under Netflix which would give them the power to charge more for their service, because guess what, there's no competition.

If there's a movie or TV show you keep going back to, it's either tied to a service or you can just buy it outright.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't know why I even pay for these services anymore. I barely watch them, and I slowly build up my Blu-ray collection and like to watch movies physically. Unless you factor in disc rot, physical media won't let me down.