• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Era,

Rumors, a fantastic Fleetwood Mac album. But also a dangerous word. When something may or may not have occurred or will occur, yet we have knowledge of it, that's a rumor. And in the weird ass world of video games, many have come and gone without even so much as being acknowledged by the supposed parties involved. Take this one for instance.

moonwalker.jpg

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker might seem like a bad joke these days, but back in the early 90's it helped sell Sega Genesis consoles! It was a fantastic, albeit easy, platformer that showcased what the Genesis Mega Drive could do! Now, it's no secret that Jackson was a friend to Sega, at least being somewhat involved in the Sonic 3 soundtrack and eventually appearing in Space Channel 5 part 2.

But there's an ever so brief reference an a classic issue of EGM that Sega was, at least in 1994, still considering a sequel to Moonwalker. Now obviously this never happened because OHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU KNOW. But it seems likely that given how much credibility and sales Jackson brought to Sega, there must have been some conversation to create a follow up. But according to EGM, those talk completely wrapped up following OHHHHHHHHH YOU KNOW. And yet, it's the only information I've ever found on it. Perhaps because Sega prefers to keep the subject buried for....you know.

WHAT RUMORS WERE BARELY MENTIONED THAT YOU STILL RECALL TO THIS DAY?
Give details and quotes if ya can. Shame on low effort posts!

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation Type-C. It was supposed to up an upgraded Playstation with more RAM released around the time of Tekken 3. EGM wouldn't stop talking about it.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The Playstation Type-C. It was supposed to up an upgraded Playstation with more RAM released around the time of Tekken 3. EGM wouldn't stop talking about it.

PS1 Pro? That's pretty unusual considering how well damn near everything ran on the PS1 by the end of it's life. I can't imagine what more something like R4 or Vagrant Story would have done with that power.

Mar 30, 2019
I think this one is known, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I only played the first 20% of the original Starcraft and put it down due to changing priorities. I wanted to jump back in that universe eventually, but the game I was waiting for, as my excuse, was Starcraft Ghost. Then it just faded from my memory...

Edit: I think I misunderstood the premise, nm.

May 13, 2019
Twelve Tales: Conker 64 was a cancelled game that was later reworked and became Conker's Bad fur Day after Rareware was criticized and mocked for developing yet another cutesy platformer.

Supposedly, a playable beta version of the game existed and was in possession of someone at Rare.

Brinksman

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Here's an extremely obscure rumour which went unproven for about 24 years, until last month.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017

There's a rumor Dee Dee Planet (DC) was shipped out to stores, then Sega cancelled the game and ordered everyone to destroy their discs. SoA have a copy laying around in their archives:

DjFrleIW0AA-EZV

Last edited:

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Hello Era,

Rumors, a fantastic Fleetwood Mac album. But also a dangerous word. When something may or may not have occurred or will occur, yet we have knowledge of it, that's a rumor. And in the weird ass world of video games, many have come and gone without even so much as being acknowledged by the supposed parties involved. Take this one for instance.

moonwalker.jpg

But there's an ever so brief reference an a classic issue of EGM that Sega was, at least in 1994, still considering a sequel to Moonwalker. Now obviously this never happened because OHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU KNOW. But it seems likely that given how much credibility and sales Jackson brought to Sega, there must have been some conversation to create a follow up. But according to EGM, those talk completely wrapped up following OHHHHHHHHH YOU KNOW. And yet, it's the only information I've ever found on it. Perhaps because Sega prefers to keep the subject buried for....you know.
I remember that there was a rumor about a Janet Jackson version. Even more funny considering that she had all those Sega games in the background of her video in 2000.

There's a rumor Dee Dee Planet (DC) was shipped out to stores, then Sega cancelled the game and ordered everyone to destroy their discs. SoA have a copy laying around in their archives:

DjFrleIW0AA-EZV

I read that game was complete, but canceled over a network bug.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I remember as a kid there was a rumor that there was a Credit Card item in the original Legend of Zelda that made all the items in the shops free. Would have been a cool one if true haha

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a unproven rumor, that was a actual thing that was considered at some point but sadly cancelled.

"There was actually a time when I planned a new title called Chrono Break," Tokita explained via email. "Though it was canceled before accomplishing anything, the overall idea for the title was carried over to my latest game, Final Fantasy Dimensions II. Aemo's character setting and the balance between the three characters at the beginning…these were based on the original concept [for Chrono Break] but were reworked for this title."
www.ign.com

Cancelled Chrono Trigger Game Lives on in Final Fantasy Mobile Title - IGN

Chrono Break never saw the light of day, but the ideas behind it survive.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Twelve Tales: Conker 64 was a cancelled game that was later reworked and became Conker's Bad fur Day after Rareware was criticized and mocked for developing yet another cutesy platformer.

Supposedly, a playable beta version of the game existed and was in possession of someone at Rare.

I remember I was really looking forward to that game. Lots of pics and info here:

www.unseen64.net

Conker's Quest / Twelve Tales [N64 - Cancelled] - Unseen64

Preserving Details, Screenshots, Videos & more Lost Media for Conker's Quest / Twelve Tales [N64 - Cancelled] Help us to remember cancelled video games!

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Toy Story was originally planned to be in the Kingdom Hearts franchise as early as the original game.

Worlds.png

Judging from the design of the world, it would have most likely been based during the events of Toy Story 2.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Apparently many years ago, there was a rumor that Rare's Grabbed by the Ghoulies may have originally started out as a Harry Potter game. I made a more detailed post about it on another forum: http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=14943 (Be sure to check out post #18 in that thread where I delved even more into the whole thing)

This is by far one of the strangest rumors I've ever heard because outside of those old GAF posts I linked to, I couldn't find anything else about this rumor anywhere else. But the fact that more than one person has mentioned this rumor means it DID exist and it's such an oddly specific rumor too. A lot of things about it also line up for it to possibly be true as well.

I was going to tag and ask Shiggy (one of the posters from whom my sources for this rumor are from) but it turns out their account has been closed (damn it!), so if anyone else out there knows or remembers anything about this rumor, please chime in!

Last edited: